Deal?.......MXL 603S for $30 at MF

couldn't say when my pair showed up, but they were here when i got home at 5 pm. the case & accessories were a nice surprise.

just tried 'em out on acoustic guitar. either by some crazy coincidence all of my cymbals and my acoustic guitar are naturally dark-sounding, or everyone who says these mics are too "bright" is crazy.

$170 is what i've now paid for 4 of these (my first pair for $110 last year). not too bad. :)

..just received mine this AM....

drossfile:

Are you saying that your new ones sound darker than the 603's you already had?

/mcmd

Kind of frustrating to see all these people who ordered after me already receiving their mics while mine are still "being packed" because their system effed up my order. Lame.
I ordered the parts to mod them almost 2 days after I ordered the mics and I expect to see the parts arrive first. I guess I'll just mod my 990 for now to keep myself occupied.

Update: I called MF and they said that it looks like they don't have them in stock so my order will be going to backorder. They expect more in on the 8th so it's not that bad. It just pisses me off that if their system wouldn't have screwed up my mics would be sitting there waiting for me when I got home today.

Last edited:
Well, it should be no surprise to anyone that MF sucks at times. It looks like my mics are on the way with a delivery date of next Tuesday, although I have no idea why people who placed their orders 15-20 hours after mine already have theirs while I'm still waiting. Hmm....this really does feel like a group buy now. :confused:

Kind of frustrating to see all these people who ordered after me already receiving their mics while mine are still "being packed" because their system effed up my order. Lame.
I ordered the parts to mod them almost 2 days after I ordered the mics and I expect to see the parts arrive first. I guess I'll just mod my 990 for now to keep myself occupied.

Update: I called MF and they said that it looks like they don't have them in stock so my order will be going to backorder. They expect more in on the 8th so it's not that bad. It just pisses me off that if their system wouldn't have screwed up my mics would be sitting there waiting for me when I got home today.

Yonce--off topic here, but what's the 990 mod you're doing? I've got 4 (yep: 4!!) of 'em and don't touch any of them anymore. I'd love to mess with one or two...

mine came yesterday afternoon.....i opened one and checked it out but have not recorded anything as of yet.....

Yonce--off topic here, but what's the 990 mod you're doing? I've got 4 (yep: 4!!) of 'em and don't touch any of them anymore. I'd love to mess with one or two...

I am pretty sure it's exactly the same as the 603 mod. I'll find out when I crack mine open i guess. :)

PS - I might have said this before, but this mic sound killer on snare.
this is why i'm pissed that i missed out on this. i keep a 603 with an omni capsule on permanent "under snare" duty. i needed a couple more!

i also like one on snare top, but found that with the cardioid cap it can get a little tubby--yet the omni cap doesn't have the sparkle that the cardioid cap has.

if anyone who got cheap ones hates em, drop me a PM. :-D

cheers,
wade

I haven't tried on the bottom. I'll have to give that a shot sometime. These days I'm micing from the side of the shell and top mostly, with the bulk of the snare sound coming from my OH mics. That said, the 604/603/991 does a great job at brightening up and beefing up the snares I've used into a more modern sound.

If you're interested in hearing it on snare, I've got clips up:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=267508

I just gave you some hints. See if you can figure out which is the 991 (603/604) before I reveal the results!

bp

this is why i'm pissed that i missed out on this. i keep a 603 with an omni capsule on permanent "under snare" duty. i needed a couple more!

i also like one on snare top, but found that with the cardioid cap it can get a little tubby--yet the omni cap doesn't have the sparkle that the cardioid cap has.

if anyone who got cheap ones hates em, drop me a PM. :-D

cheers,
wade
I thought the 604 had the interchangeable caps.

:D

got mine today!! Now I have all i need to RULE THE WORLD!
Or maybe I can just track a good acoustic guit.(that's almost as good):cool:

Or maybe I can just track a good acoustic guit.(that's almost as good):cool:

Let us know how that goes. I've never been able to get even a halfway decent sound on AC Gtr out of those mics. Killer on snare though. OK on toms.

Love to hear a clip of your AC though. All I ever end up with is a ringy phasey metallic high end. Always end up back with the standard - a KM84 or U87. Haven't modded mine though. I'm sure that helps out. Gotta get around to it one of these days.....

I got 5 today. One or two for me and 3 or 4 for a buddy.

Let us know how that goes. I've never been able to get even a halfway decent sound on AC Gtr out of those mics. Killer on snare though. OK on toms.

Love to hear a clip of your AC though. All I ever end up with is a ringy phasey metallic high end. Always end up back with the standard - a KM84 or U87. Haven't modded mine though. I'm sure that helps out. Gotta get around to it one of these days.....

I have acctually been getting great results with mics I alreaddy have, I was just hoping for a different color. But snare's pretty cool.I'll probably end up modding them. And getting the omni caps.

I'll check out your mic shootout and try to see if I can spot the 991 but I think I'd have better luck shooting down a hawk with a sling shot.;)

I have acctually been getting great results with mics I alreaddy have, I was just hoping for a different color. But snare's pretty cool.I'll probably end up modding them. And getting the omni caps.

I'll check out your mic shootout and try to see if I can spot the 991 but I think I'd have better luck shooting down a hawk with a sling shot.;)

You'll find it much easier to single out on the HH clips. You can hear the metallic ring of the mic clearly there. On the Snare it's just right in there with the KM84. Slightly brighter without quite as much beef down low.

My saying......every mic has a place somewhere. There's a few that I use to hold the door of my mic locker open though....... LOL This isn't one of them.

Well, MF notified me today that more mics should arrive on 8/08/08, not on 8/01/08 as they "claimed" to have previously told me. I did receive a prior notification about them being backordered(and it shows that on my order status), but this is the first I've seen of any expected arrival date.

I'm inclined to believe the Oct 2nd date that some guys quoted will be more accurate. They are really bad about amending their arrival dates frequently and in small increments. I don't really understand that logic and I really doubt that all those manufacturers are stringing MF along....

I'm inclined to believe the Oct 2nd date that some guys quoted will be more accurate. They are really bad about amending their arrival dates frequently and in small increments. I don't really understand that logic and I really doubt that all those manufacturers are stringing MF along....

Considering it seems to be just about every manufacturer whose products they sell, I'm guessing that no, the manufacturers aren't stringing them along. Probably more like they buy products through some third-party wholesaler who delivers several truckloads once a week with products from half a dozen manufacturers but MF doesn't know what products will be on the truckload. Either that or they're just hopelessly inept. Or both.

I'm sure it's the difference in guitars, but I find them to be natural for acoustic--here's a shootout I did with the 603 & the NT5.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2946200&postcount=6

But I've never tried 'em on snare though--OHs yes, but not as the snare mic (though I too use the OHs for about 80% of the snares sound)

I'm sure it's the difference in guitars, but I find them to be natural for acoustic--here's a shootout I did with the 603 & the NT5.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2946200&postcount=6

But I've never tried 'em on snare though--OHs yes, but not as the snare mic (though I too use the OHs for about 80% of the snares sound)

Natural as compared to......??? That's a key component for me to understand where you're coming from.

Have you ever put one up against a KM84 (original), C451/CK1 (original) or Gefell SDC?? I have. And although I HATE to use the words "Huge Difference", I'd have to say it's huger than huge! :D :D

Just my opinion though.

Natural as compared to......??? That's a key component for me to understand where you're coming from.

Have you ever put one up against a KM84 (original), C451/CK1 (original) or Gefell SDC?? I have. And although I HATE to use the words "Huge Difference", I'd have to say it's huger than huge! :D :D

Just my opinion though.

I actually didn't mean to say natural, I meant to say "I find them to be a natural..." As in really easy for me to get "my" acoustic sound with them. I actually use the NT5 for the acoustic, but the 603s are close, and they are the topic of this thread.

They are of course not exactly natural. But my guitar is cedar, with a sweet but slightly darker tone. So I think do well with these cheaper SDCs as the bump in the highs they tend to have is just right for a bit of edge & sparkle on my guitar.

And no, I've never tried those other mics.

Back