What Kind Of Guitar Owner Are You?

I have a Fender Strat, 40th anniversary (Mex) a Fender Strat US about 2 yrs old, A fender telecaster copy Johnny Brooks, bought new for £75, sounds fantastic and a westfield Bass all bought New, I dont suppose I will ever sell them as they were all bought for me as presents....Alex

If I could afford to be a collector i would be but I've always seemed to gravitate tword what got the job done. I just started rebuilding my first acquisition, a 1997 squier. Which, even though it sucked, you'd have to pry from my cold dead hands. I've traded a couple LPs and SGs away in my day, only regret losing the 2nd run epiphone lp. I stick mainly with my USA strat these days, mostly because I'm broke.

Collector I guess. I did the garage band thing in the 70s-early 80s and then gave it up and walked away. Kept my first guitar, a Yamaha acoustic and sold a Strat copy, LP copy and the only one I regret - Les Paul Custom Black Beauty 20th anny (1972 BTW). I still kick myself regularly for that.

In my forties, after life's intervention, I got back into playing with a cheap Ibanez shredder-type thing. That didn't really do it for me so I upgraded to a G&L. I still wanted another Les Paul so that was next and the obsession was on. I buy for me primarily, shit I want, and for value. I tend to only get stuff that will appreciate with time - USA Gibsons and Fenders - so my kids will have something of value to hold or sell when I am gone. I'll never sell any of it. I play them all intermittently - they're all out on racks. I don't have two of anything exactly the same. The three LPs are very different from each other and I've gone for semi-hollow, hums, P90s, trem, etc. I've covered most of the bases but there are still objects of desire out there for me.

So yeah, I'm a collector though my collection is neither huge nor extremely valuable. Just good stuff that's fun to buy and play. Other than golf, buying and playing guitars is my only "hobby".

I'm the guy who's read too many GAS inducing guitar forums and needs to sell off a bunch of the guitars that don't really do it for me. My focus now tends to be on quality over quantity, and having the major bases covered. I have my P90 guitars, a humbucker semi, a Strat and Tele, and a few very nice acoustics. I can't understand people who have 100+ guitars, 30 or 40 of them Les Pauls or Strats or whatever. That's bizarre.

A few are in the classifieds, but for sale only in the EU, which doesn't seem to be attracting any buyers, unfortunately.

Sounds strange but I don’t go to the guitars, they come to me.

Back in the 80’s super strat area I saved enough money but couldn’t decide what I wanted. My guitar teacher said I have the perfect guitar for you. First Charvel in the market. Still have it.

When I got back into playing I wanted a Les Paul. My wife and I we’re doing in vintro to have our first child away from home stuck in a hotel for a week. As a thank you for waiting on her hand and foot for a week I got presented a $500.00 GC gift card to the store down the street. (not one close to the house) Got to the store and they had one Epiphone Les Paul left after Christmas, but it was a beauty. (Since then modified it)

Two years later my daughter had surgery and we missed our birthday. My wife and I were watching the talent show Rock Star and she asked what kind of guitar the guy was playing. It was a White Fender Strat but I told her I would prefer a maple neck. A week later there was a White American Strat with a maple neck sitting in my office.

A few years after that I went to take my guitars to get checked out. (Good Luther at the local shop, have it done once a year) There was a Peavey Wolfgang I always lusted after but never could part with the $1200 they wanted. Two days later I got my bonus check and went to pick up the guitars and the Wolfgang was marked down to $350.00… I bought it figuring if I get in trouble I can sell it for more than I bought it. I took it and played a gig with it. When I came home my wife said you’re not selling it. I asked how did she know and she checked out the bands MySpace page where people posted pics of me and the guitar.

Last year we celebrated our 10 year anniversary by going to Memphis. Stopped and toured the Gibson factory and spent another hour trying out guitars. (Les Paul plus Marshall 800 = great vacation) She asked which one I wanted to take home. I told her I actually wanted one in black. So she rings my pimp (local music store owner) and a few days later a Gibson Les Paul Traditional in Black is at the house.

So I’ve never actually picked out a guitar and bought it…. Though my thoughts have been drifting to a Fender Telecaster lately…..

-Lastly there are those who carefully chose the guitars they want for a particular purpose and stay with those guitars for the rest of their lives or the life of the guitar whichever comes first.

That's me. I have a rotation of an American Standard Strat, a Rickenbacker 650, and an Ibanez Satriani. Each of them are different and have their strengths. The Strat is great for blues solos. It can really scream. The Rick is great for finger picking, has loads of personality and a rounded tone. The Ibanez is great for power chords and non-bluesy solos. Has a kind of balanced precision to it's sound and endless sustain. I also have an incredible spruce classical guitar made by Dake Traphagen. Some of you guys may have some awesome guitars but you can't feel this.

I sold a good guitar once. Never again. I sold a beautiful Takemine accoustic and I miss it to this day. I might get a Les Paul some day. I once played a Gibson accoustic (forget which model ) right there at the factory in Memphis. That was the best steel string I ever played. I have an entry level Martin but it merely OK. Sounds decent on recordings but that Gibson just sang.

I stick with the guitars that I choose. I have 6 in total right now, 5 of them are ready for action whenever I need. I have never sold any of my guitars before, and simply rotate around which of the 5 I use for a period of time depending on my mood.

I suppose I fit into the last category.I still have my first guitar from 1971,a Univox that is now set up for slide playing and my most recent purchase was a 2001 Paul Reed Smith that I got in 2011.I'm very picky about what I buy and I always look for something that inspires me when I play it for the first time.I have written songs on every guitar I own and have recorded with them as well so they all have a special meaning to me,...kind of like children if you will.I will just hand them down to a family member who I feel will use,appreciate and treat them well.
Guitars 17 Small.JPG

I guess I'm a general collector. I've had a lot more guitars than I own at present but I still have a few.

Jim Deacon Pro Jumbo Acoustic - Had it for 18 years now, never seen another one like it except for THIS Alliance. That's my Jim Deacon in the other photos. This is my main guitar, modified by myself. Gigged extensively for the last 14 years.

Another Jim Deacon Acoustic - I got for £20 from Cash Converters. A throw-around guitar. Had it for 4 years

Harmony Acoustic - Was given to me from a friend. In storage at present, needs re-fretting and setting up. Obtained last year

Boeing Classical Acoustic - More like a childs toy, rescued from a skip. Sounds awesome. Had it for 3 years

Handmade Lapsteel - Given to me from an old man who makes them because I said I wanted one. Had it for 5 years

Kala Ukulele - New present to myself this Christmas

Boston Mandolin - It was one of those, got money, want to spend it days. Had it 13 Years

Fender P Bass Copy - Make unknown - Has a Fender sticker where the old name would of been. Cheap bass but good pick ups and sounds mint. Bought it off a friend with a Ampeg BA210 for £80 6 years ago when he needed cash quick. Bargain.

Handmade Parkinson P Bass - Present from my wife for Christmas 2009 - Photos of it HERE at the bottom of the page. Never seen another Parkinson apart from those two.

Hofner Ignition Bass - I wanted one, I bought one. Less than a year old.

I've had a lot of of other guitars over the years, too many to mention. But that's my list at present. ;)

Back