What Kind Of Guitar Owner Are You?

You also have to remeber that I'm the king of the cheapies. I don't still have anything (except for the upright basses) that I paid more than $450 for, and that was an Epi LP. The Gibson LP Special was only $400.

I believe ya', Cardio. I have sixteen or so and that's probably too many. Mine are somewhat more pricey but nothing of "vintage" dollar value. Collecting the damned things gets in yer blood. There are worse ways to spend money. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

You also have to remeber that I'm the king of the cheapies. I don't still have anything (except for the upright basses) that I paid more than $450 for, and that was an Epi LP. The Gibson LP Special was only $400.
Depending on your motivations you could thin the herd substantially and reinvest in fewer, more valuable pieces. Four or five $400 cheapies will get you a for real LP Custom, USA Strat, Rick, Martin, Taylor, etc....

Depending on your motivations you could thin the herd substantially and reinvest in fewer, more valuable pieces. Four or five $400 cheapies will get you a for real LP Custom, USA Strat, Rick, Martin, Taylor, etc....

Yeah, I'm well aware of that, but the cheapies (and the Epi is one of my 'good' guitars) seem to always be the ones that call to me. I've only played about 3 or 4 'good' Gibsons over my lifetime (and I've played a boatload) that I really had a jones for. Almost all of them were older ones that already belonged to guys who weren't going to part with them because they were special. Also, being the hack that I am, I can't really seem to ever justify spending a couple grand on a guitar, but over time, I can, at the time, justify spending 200 on a guitar ten times. Also, I've ony bought a very few new. It's the used ones that have the mojo, imo.

I'm not a guitar collector. Each guitar I have serves a purpose that none of my other guitars can do. I have my Gibson LP Deluxe Gold Top w/ mini humbuckers, a black Epi LP Custom, Electra MPC explorer (I've had this the longest, my favorite) Seagull 12 string, which needs replaced, the bridge is pulling up, and I've re-glued the head stock and a couple braces in side the sound box, I have my Breedlove 6 string acoustic, which I love, great guitar. I also have a BC Rich Kerry King Warlock, the cheapy one, bought it for my kid, he gave it up. I should sell it.

I've had many guitars over the years, sold them because the rent was due or I just didn't like them. There's only 2 I wish I never sold and could get back, a Westone Pantera, and a Electra MPC LP copy. And the Marshall JCM 800 I traded for a car.......had the car for a very short period before I wrecked it........

My only musts are a set neck and a fixed bridge, don't like them wangy bars. Brand doesn't rally matter, but it seems I gravitate toward Gibson style guitars.

OK, let's see if I can do this without screwing it up.

LP Special w/humbuckers. Don't ask me what kind, 'cause I don't know. I assume they're stock, but which Gibsons I have no idea. They're pretty hot, though.

IMG_1609.JPGIMG_1610.JPGIMG_1611.JPG

Don't worry, I'm not going to start showing all my guitars individually, but since I already had this one done...

Arguably my 'best' guitar', in most people's opinions. Certainly the most expensive, even used. Definitely not my favorite, but I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 23
I don't fit into any of those categories. My guitar buying falls into three classes:

1) Guitars I saw (usually in a pawn shop) that looked interesting, were cheap/under priced and left-handed (the reason they were cheap- pawn brokers get stuck with lefty guitars all the time.) these I bought for my own play. They included two Westones (and two I thought about too long, including a hand built dual neck with not one but TWO Westone necks on it,) a Westbury Les Paul, and a Washburn superstrat;
2) An Epi Les Paul that got upgraded to top-of-the-line Gibson pups, and a USA Strat with Texas Specials, both I got cheap on ebay (see a pattern, here?);
3) Literally dozens of guitars I got REALLY cheap at garage sales and flipped.

So maybe there should be another category- the CHEAP guy! Call me names if you want- all I know is I have made some good money flipping all those guitars (which included a '71 Gibson SG) AND ended up with some cool lefty guitars for very little money.

I consider myself a guitar and bass pawnshop whore.If it's in a pawnshop and their giving it away, then it's going home with me.;)
54% of all my guitars,basses,acoustics,and classical guitars that I own, came from pawnshops.

guitars2.jpg
DSC00322.jpg
100_0218-1.jpg
DSC00281.jpg
download-2.jpg
DSC00361.jpg
DSC00378.jpg
Fender78TabaccoSunburstTele027.jpg
2012-12-04_06-36-15_706.jpg
2012-12-04_13-00-38_909.jpg
PRS_245_front.jpg
photo1.jpg
DSC00386.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
p1000096f.jpg
2013-02-01_20-40-25_162_zpse4ede315.jpg
2013-02-07_11-46-31_441_zps6498dc8f.jpg
2013-01-23_18-18-58_793_zps428a6fc8.jpg
100_0561-1.jpg
7402JazzBass008.jpg
100_0040.jpg

Nice collection. I never see anything but pure shit in pawn shops. My father-in-law is a big pawn shop guy. He's always scouring pawn shops for guns and fishing stuff. He swears he's gonna find me a Mosrite one day. I'm like, dude, it aint gonna happen.

Nice collection. I never see anything but pure shit in pawn shops. My father-in-law is a big pawn shop guy. He's always scouring pawn shops for guns and fishing stuff. He swears he's gonna find me a Mosrite one day. I'm like, dude, it aint gonna happen.
Yeah. I'm gonna find a '59 Burst at a yard sale. If I find a Mosrite first I'll snag it for ya'.

Throughout my years of hanging around musicians I have noticed that guitar owners come in different types. What type are you? This includes all types of guitars.

-There is the loyal collector. This is the person who collects one particular brand of guitars.

-The general collector. This person just likes to collect guitars, brand doesn't matter.

-Then there is the "New car trade in" type. They buy and sell guitars every year like some people get a new car every year.

-Next is the "it's not me so it must be the guitar" type. Just like bad golfers that think the problem with their game is the equipment these guitar owners just know the problems with their playing can't be them therefore it must be the guitar so they get rid of the one they have and buy a different one, over and over again.

-Lastly there are those who carefully chose the guitars they want for a particular purpose and stay with those guitars for the rest of their lives or the life of the guitar whichever comes first.

I thought about making this a poll but decided that they have been done to death lately.
general collector 4sure.

The only two guitars I've ever owned (I'll be 60 this July) are my 1974 Gibson Firebird Medallion (#118) and 1969 Guild D40 acoustic.* I've played lots of others -- Les Pauls, Strats, Martin and Taylor acoustics. Just never found anything I liked as much the ones I have. If I did, I'd buy it. Did play a PRS a year or so ago and loved the neck and sound, so that might be my first "affair."

*Oops. Forgot. I bought a Martin Backpacker several years ago at a charity auction. Piece of s&it. Sold it after a year or two.

Back