What Kind Of Guitar Owner Are You?

I haven't owned too many guitars and have only owned one electric at a time. If money were no object, I probably would own a bunch of vintage instruments, but I really only need one.

As a teenager, I started with a shitty department store Harmony or something. Then I bought a Fender Music Master - that was pretty lame. Then in 1985 I sold it and bought a Japanese Squire strat. That thing was great. I wish I still had it today. I always wanted an SG though, and when I found a 1968 special in 1995, I sold the Squire and bought that. I haven't bought an electric guitar since.

I'd still like to have a fender type deal too, but I can get a lot of different sounds out of that SG, so I'm pretty happy.

What I don't get is guys who have 3 or 4 or 5 of the same guitar...like 4 strats. Unless they're different I don't need them. To each their own, but I kinda only get different guitars as different sounds.

I'm not that old, but I think I'll be with my current guitars for the rest of my life.

I took a serious gamble buying them on eBay.

1989 Fender strat Deluxe Plus with mod pickup. - $435. I would probably value it at a grand, though that may be at the very top.

1910's gypsy flamenco guitar - $800. I would easily value this at $6,000. If it broke and I found an exact replica, that's how much I would pay. I hit a double grand slam buying this guitar. It is and will always be the best guitar I will ever play and own.

Muttleys post just reminded me of some other guitars that I own - nearly forgot them -

My Frankenstein guitars!
Pieced together bodies, necks and pick ups. From when I owned a music store some 40 years ago.

1910's gypsy flamenco guitar - $800. I would easily value this at $6,000. If it broke and I found an exact replica, that's how much I would pay. I hit a double grand slam buying this guitar. It is and will always be the best guitar I will ever play and own.

It sounded beautiful on your sound clip. Truly beautiful.

I suppose I accumulate guitars. I don't have much overlap (like multiple Strats). What I have I got to cover the most sonic territory. Most bought new, most first class guitars by any measure, some are from B makers but great instruments still in my opinion. I still want to take a new group shot of them. I don't have a pic of all of them.

What I don't get is guys who have 3 or 4 or 5 of the same guitar...like 4 strats. Unless they're different I don't need them. To each their own, but I kinda only get different guitars as different sounds.

I know a guy with no less than 10 Charvels. Seriously. Dude has at least 10 of the exact same guitar.

funny thread.. I' was wondering if you'd have my type on there, you did.

+1 "New car trade in"

I'm playing a beautiful 3-Sunburst US Strat, with rosewood neck, absolutely gorgeous..just got from GC recently.

Funny thread, .......a Trade-In gear addict ..

sitting around gathering dust doesnt happen around here,

$200 off for this and that etc...a brand new US Strat with case, $650ish all the candy. no interest for 12 months...
Why trade in? I wanted to try a Rosewood neck STrat after watching some Stevie Ray Vaughn, never owned one before, its a cool feel, rosewood, different than the maple. Dont have the money to collect and collect and collect and just buy things to try out..., so Trade In method is required.
No complaining, Ive had a bunch of guitars over the years.

I started when I was 9, my father bought me a Hagstrum 6 string, my father was a country singer, I ended up being a beatle fan and played rock and roll music which he called long haired music :)
my second guitar in 1963 was a white Fender Strat, in 1978 I went to a Gibson Les Paul, wore it out and bought another les Paul in 1980, in those days I played every week.
in 1982 I bought a BC Rich Mockingbird, the best guitar I ever played, and I still have it. BC Rich with a marshall amp.
I have had a wonderful music life I cannot complain.

Gary..

-There is the loyal collector. This is the person who collects one particular brand of guitars.

-Lastly there are those who carefully chose the guitars they want for a particular purpose and stay with those guitars for the rest of their lives or the life of the guitar whichever comes first.

I guess I'm a cross between the first and last.

I have 9 Hagstrom Swede guitars...but while they are all "Swedes"...they are not all the same.
Four of them are vintage Swedes from the '70s...so with them, it's more about " loyal collector"...though each one is a different color.
The other 5 are reissue Swedes...but one has P90 pups, another has DiMarzio SD pups, a third is a Super Swede (different scale length) a fourth is a Select Swede and the fifth is stock but strung with 11s (most of the others are 10s).
Also...on the reissues, not all have the same tops...some have flamed maple, some have mahogany.
Besides them...I have a Hagstrom reissue Viking and a D2F w/trem.

So I'm a Hagstrom fan...and I like the Swedes the most...but each one has it's own purpose/sound.

I also have a few non-Hagstrom guitars...so I'm not just stuck on them, but I really love the Hagstrom necks and fretboards over most others.

My first guitar was a Silvertone 1457

silvertone.jpg

My friends dad growing up was an old rocker and unemployed metal scrapper. His backyard was a wasteland of junk metal parts and barrels full of industrial garbage. He gave me that guitar as pay for doing metal sorting work in his back yard. He had cut off the top part of the body near the neck with a hacksaw to accommodate playing it left-handed.
"Practice" he told me, "and maybe when you're good enough we can jam out. I've still got connections at this ski lodge in New Hampshire where my old band used to play...." and went on to describe the glory of the ski-lodge gigs.... free beer, tons of pussy (bear in mind I was like 11).
He gave me a CCR tape to take home, to try and learn some songs. I didn't have a guitar amp, so I played it through my boom box with a 1/4"-RCA adapter cord... and practiced Proud Mary loyally for a few weeks envisioning rocking out with those old geezers in New Hampshire with my Fisher boom box mic'd up proper.

I have no idea what even happened to that guitar, or a few others of the mostly cheap guitars I've owned. In the mid-90s I found a clean version of that same Silvertone and bought it out of nostalgia. I think I pawned it a few years later for w33d money or something.

I don't have any of the "starter" guitars or basses I played when I was first learning. Once I started buying "nicer" instruments for specific purposes, I held onto them. I'm more the "fills a new need" collector - bought a Heritage archtop, loved it. Wanted a solid body electric, so I bought a Heritage 140 years later. As for acoustics, I bought a Gibson L4-A (mini jumbo style), but wanted a more balanced sound for recording, so I found a Gibson J-60 custom shop dreadnaught which is amazing. The L4-A was the only one I bought new - got all the others at steep discounts, especially the Heritages. Because of the lack of brand recognition, their value drops significantly on the used market (or used to, the prices have come up a bit), but they are amazing guitars.

I can still remember my first electric guitar and amplifier because they were cigarette brands. The guitar was a Kent and the amp was a Winston.

:guitar:

My Dad bought me a guitar when I was 4. This around 1967. I have no idea why. He never did tell me. I must've seen Pete Townshend and Jimi Hendrix because I just smashed it to pieces. Whether it was fun I cannot say. This is what my Mum told me years later. I have no memory of it.

The first guitar I bought was a bass when I was 18. It was a 4th hand Kay. Kay-001.JPGI wanted to learn bass, it was there in a second hand shop, I bought it. I didn't know anything about brands. It was pretty crap, the G string broke early on and I used it as a 3 string for a couple of years. I still think that way now, with low B and G string variations !

After a couple of years, I bought a Fender musicmaster bass. fender-001.JPGI chose it because it said 'Fender' and I figured I'd get a 'proper' instrument. A few months later I bought a V shape Hondo as a back up bass. It was never a good instrument, no punch, really flabby and floomy. I learned early on that looking cool doesn't cut it if the sound is unsatisfactory. But man, did it look cool, the flying V bass equivalent. hondo-001.JPGI actually bought it for it's look and my mate George {the first bass player I'd ever known and watched live} had a Hondo so I figured it would be OK.
Wrong !
I took a break from playing for a year {sold the Musicmaster, gave the Hondo to a kid who promptly began a life of crime ! Last I heard, he was a producer but this was 20 years ago} and when I resumed playing, I bought another Hondo. It had problems staying in tune though and I swapped it for another Fender Musicmaster. For some reason, it wasn't the same as the last time. I'd loved my first one. Second time round it felt like something was missing. 2nd musicmaster-001.JPGBut I persevered for 3 years then got it converted to a fretless and had to relearn it as all the notes changed ! That came as a shock.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd learn guitar, something I'd wanted to do for the previous 12 years. My first was a £29 acoustic guitar. 1st 6 string-001.JPGI can't even remember the name or if it had one. It was a frustrating but worthwhile journey and it did so hurt my fingers as I taught myself chords. One day, I went for a music practice with friends and when I opened the case, it came out in pieces and shavings ! I did wood glue it together but the strings just never stayed in tune.
I hadn't heard of Muttley in 1990 !
The church I was with at the time gave me £100 to buy a new one so I bought an Ozark electro acoustic. I'd never heard of Ozark 6 string-001.JPGand you barely hear of them now, but I thought, mistakenly, that an electro acoustic meant that if you plugged it in, it sounded like a miked acoustic but with volume. Ha ! It did not. I hate the sound of it plugged in, I always have. But I still have it, 22 years on. The acoustic sound is OK and I still use it regularly. I've probably recorded more on it than any other single artifact I've ever had. I've certainly played live with it more than anything I've had.

About three years after converting the Fender to a fretless I swapped it for a fretted Aria which I had for the next 12 years. Aria-001.JPGIt wasn't that I thought Aria were any great shakes, just that I'd bought the bass at the end of 1990 for the playground I worked on and I knew it well.

In 1999, having seen me break G strings so regularly that I became known as the string breaking man, my mate gave me a load of money and said "get yourself a guitar". I didn't really want one as I was happy with the 6 string and the string breaking was because of my heavy handed style. So I thought I'd buy a 12 string and I got the shop guy to fit a pick up. It's a Yamaha. 12 string-001.JPGI still have it, I still use it regularly and it's the only guitar that I actually went to the shop and played for a while. So I thought it would do. It cost me £300 and more for the pick up which, for me, is crazy money.

A few years before this, I bought my first electric, a Peavey reactor. I knew they made amps, I had no idea they made guitars. It's shaped like a Telecaster. It does what I want it to and I like it. There was no careful choice or studying it ~ it was what I could afford and I've never felt any particular brand was going to make my noise better or worse. I'd been using a couple of the playground's guitars in the period leading up to my buying the peavey, one of which needed a battery. That was an eye opener !

In '91 I bought a mandolin with a pick up, a Samick, because I'd gotten into Irish folk and loved particularly what Charles O'Connor of Horslips used to do with electric mandolin. Mandolin-001.JPGThe most Irish sounding of the band, ironically, he was the only one that wasn't Irish, being English ! I had never even touched a mandolin let alone having any knowledge of a good one from a bad one. But I thought that £70 was a good price for a cheapskate so I took the plunge. I still use it regularly now. I love both the acoustic and electric sound.

Then in 2005 I felt I needed to go further on the bass so I sold the Aria and bought a Wesley 5 string. I got it on ebay. It's got a tough chunky feel and I like the sound of it. I use it all the time. A few years later, I bought an acoustic fretless bass guitar, hoping to cultivate a more double bass sound. guitars.JPGWell, it doesn't do that, but with some tweaking, it has a sound of it's own that I've grown to really dig. Because it has a little equalizer and can be plugged into an amp or DI, it doubles as a kind of electric fretless.
I generally have only what I need for variation {eg, 5 string bass, double bass, acoustic bass guitar}

So I don't really fit any of the above categiories. Only with my first fender bass {it was short scale and right at the bottom of the gene pool} and my Fender Rhodes electric piano and Hammond organ have I specifically gone after well known brand names. Only with the 12 string have I actively sat down for half an hour and played an instrument and said "OK, I'll go for this one". I have always taken gambles and only with the V shape Hondo back in ’84 have I actually been disappointed. I couldn't differentiate between a Les Paul, a Ron Paul and a St Paul.

Wow!!! Nice life story Grim! :D

By the way, that classical that you forgot the name of looks pretty familiar. I had one just like it. It was a Manuel Ramirez.

It was a shitty little thing. But my first classical guitar none the less. Without it, I wouldn't have progressed into the guitarist I am today. Here is a video of me playing the vintage flamenco/classical guitar. I was mostly focusing on camera work, as it was for my Mass. Comm. major, so the sound is only HR quality. :D

Can't say I'm a guitar owner but I have plenty of basses. Got a ric, a few fender jazzes, a yamaha 5-string and a fretless ibanez!

Don't know what category I'm in . . . but I have three or four models that are "mainstay" (Strats, Paul, SG, Mockingbird), but tend to buy others either on a whim or who-knows-why. Never thought of myself having an Explorer or a USA Wolfgang, but wouldn't part with them now. Biggest surprise was the Tele. Never in a million years did I think I'd have one strapped on during 60% of a gig, but there ya go. OTOH, I "thought" I loved my Firebird, but some reason just didn't bond with it.

And, not to be a snob or anything, but unless extremely convinced otherwise, I only buy USA. There's some great non-USA axes out there, but I just don't have the motivation to do the trial-and-error thing . . .

Back