What Kind Of Guitar Owner Are You?

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
Throughout my years of hanging around musicians I have noticed that guitar owners come in different types. What type are you? This includes all types of guitars.

-There is the loyal collector. This is the person who collects one particular brand of guitars.

-The general collector. This person just likes to collect guitars, brand doesn't matter.

-Then there is the "New car trade in" type. They buy and sell guitars every year like some people get a new car every year.

-Next is the "it's not me so it must be the guitar" type. Just like bad golfers that think the problem with their game is the equipment these guitar owners just know the problems with their playing can't be them therefore it must be the guitar so they get rid of the one they have and buy a different one, over and over again.

-Lastly there are those who carefully chose the guitars they want for a particular purpose and stay with those guitars for the rest of their lives or the life of the guitar whichever comes first.

I thought about making this a poll but decided that they have been done to death lately.

-Lastly there are those who carefully chose the guitars they want for a particular purpose and stay with those guitars for the rest of their lives or the life of the guitar whichever comes first.
This ^^^^^^ is me. All my guitars are over 23 years old....and I bought them new.

I always buy used, except once.

I have only owned 8 guitars in the 16 I have been playing guitar. All of them were HH guitars though, only one has been a floyd and I will never own one again.

I have never owned a super expensive guitar, everything has been 700 bucks or less (used price of course).

I'm a "cover the bases" guitar collector.
I just started up again with the guitars and I have a Strat, a Les Paul and a Jazz Bass.
These three axes are really an embarrassment of riches, and if I get anything else
it is going to be some more amps. :D

I'm a mix of the collector series. I call my collection my choir. I also have a js100 that i really want to like but its just not working. I do lean heavy on the charvels (only 80's models) and ibanez. I bought the warlock cuz it looked mean and it did freak out my last keyboardist. He hated it when I brought that one to practice. I have traded in, sold, or gave away a few guitars in my time but for the most part I hold on to them.

My first electric - 72 Tele. Still have it. My 2nd acoustic: 73 Epiphone. Still have it.
Recent acquisitions were for certain sounds - humbucker solidbody. Semi-hollow body. Strat-style. 12 string acoustic. Cutaway acoustic for leads. Only guitars I have ever sold were my first acoustic (a $40 Aria) and a no-name bass someone gave me.

I'm the guy that always played cheap shit and weird stuff and never held any kind of connection or emotional attachment to a stupid piece of wood with strings and in the 20+ years I've been playing, just recently bought an actual good guitar.

I gotta hand full of main guitars and a bunch of weird and unusual guitars that I add to every time I see an odd looking one.

My first guitar was a cheap six-string that I got when I was 15. It was barely playable. I've still got it, gathering dust on top of a cupboard. My next was a cheap 12-string that I got a couple of years later. It get me going for quite a few years before it fell to bits. After that I got a cheap electric 6 string which was crap. I lost or it broke too; I can't remember. After that I got a secondhand Les Paul copy which was okay. Somewhere around that time I started bass and bought a kamikaze copy of a fender which was ok, but like my other guitars, bits fell off it over the years. The late seventies was the first time I bought a 'good' guitar, a Martin electric bass. That was a faithful friend for 30 years, till it got blown over and the headstock broke. I fixed it, and I've still got it, but I don't play it. Instead I got a Warwick, which I really like. Somewhere in there I bought a Pacifica, which I also really like. Somewhere in there I was also given a Bolero 12-string. It were nothing special, but did its job. Interestingly, I put some Alchemy coated strings on it, and boy did that change its sound from okay to awesome. So, like Greg L, I've always bought cheap stuff. I guess that because I've still got most of the crap still lying around means that I've got some attachment . . . if only because I don't like throwing things away.

Good thread idea.

I have different guitars for different styles or sounds within a style, but no excessive collecting. In a general category, they would go: Single coil pup guitar, humbucker (two guitars with humbuckers), bass, semi-hollowbody, acoustic, classical.

Guess my guitar brand of choice is Guild. That's the brand that I have abundance of and enjoy playing the most.

I only buy the guitars I need. For most of my playing life, from 1983 until 2009 I only had two electric guitars: a Strat, and something else that has humbuckers in it. They did me for everything. Then I joined a band where I needed a Tele, so I bought two, one of which I've since sold. Then this year I bought myself a Jag as a treat. :D

+1 for ido1957's comments (well, most of my guitars are +23).

I'm interested in cooking guitars, not looking guitars.

Paj
8^)

I've been thinking about this more....

I agree with Bubba's line of thinking. I've only ever had guitars that I need. One single coil guitar and/or a humbucking guitar. None of them have been very good, although I had a short run with a 70's SG back in the early 90's that got stolen. I've bought/sold/traded dozens of cheapos and knockoffs over the year because the guitar you play just isn't that important with punk rock. I currently have a 91 MIM Strat that I've had since around 92-93 or so, and it does have some sentimental value to it, so I haven't gotten rid of it yet. I still use it occasionally for recording. It's actually the only Strat I've ever liked. I hate Strats, but I like mine. I also have an Epi SG that I got about 7 years ago thats basically a POS, but I threw a 57 Classic in the bridge, put Gibson pots and shit in it, and gave it a good setup, so it's not bad. Plays well. Sounds decent. And just last April I bought a brand new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro because dammit I've simply never had a really good guitar before and I wanted one, so I got what I consider to be the grandaddy of em all - a non-chambered LP. Goldtop, too. It's beautiful and sounds and plays wonderfully. It's way more guitar than my skills are worth, but fuck it. I'll pretend like I stole it.

Interesting Thread!

I don't consider myself a collector - but rather an accumulator. I purchase to fill a need - or because I was able to get a good deal on a used guitar. I don't own any "vintage guitars" (I came to guitar later in life - but I do own a couple of vintage drum kits).

At first I purchased to cover basic needs - a Tele for single coil sound, an SG for Humbucker sound, an acoustic steel string, an acoustic nylon string and an accoustic 12 string. I eventually added a strat and then a 4 string bass and then a 5 string bass. Then a lap steel and then a pedal steel.

Once I had the basics covered, I ended up buying an couple more Strats and Teles (that I got used for a good price) - I like Fender guitars - and a few more accoustics (again used at a good price).

I don't "fall in love" with any instrument (they are simply tools to create sound) but I do tend to keep most instruments - although over the years I have sold or traded a dozen or so guitars that I did not use as often or that had value to trade for some other instrument I want.

i beat the tripe outta mine ... sometimes they bite back :(

my guitars are tools,they get lots of abuse ... i never worry about knocks or dings,as long as the necks are ok that will do me :)

i have been know to clean them every now and again,so i kinda love them ... ish

Back