What Kind Of Guitar Owner Are You?

I think I'm a 'cover the bases' type of guitarist too.
I have a Strat, a humbucker guitar and I'm in the process of building a Tele,then there's an acoustic and I'm in the market for a bass and an electro-classical type thing too so I get the best I can afford for whatever type of sound I'm chasing.

I'm the guy that always played cheap shit and weird stuff and never held any kind of connection or emotional attachment to a stupid piece of wood with strings and in the 20+ years I've been playing, just recently bought an actual good guitar.
^^^^this^^^ except 48 years for me.

they're just tools of my trade to me after having owned hundreds of the things.
I DO have one guitar that I would hate to lose but even that could be replaced.

I kinda like cheap stuff to a large degree nowadays.

I'm a combination. I buy almost exclusively cheap stuff, mostly because that's what I end up liking, then I get attached to them. I compare guitars to dogs. Some people have to have a purebred with a pedigree. I go for the lovable mutts at the shelter. Every dog has a personality, and so do guitars. My problem is that when I play a guitar and it just feels right, I have a hard time not buying it. I do end up with a fair amount of rendundancy, but they all do sound very different, though some sound like crap. They still feel good, though, and I always plan to swap out pickups, etc. Some I bought on a whim and I know I should just give them away, but somehow, I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I'm really more of a guitar hoarder than a collector.

My first guitar was a Monkey Wards Airline which I traded at a flea market type store for a no-name guitar that looked cooler than the Airline. That was about 1968. After that I bought a Les Paul and gave the junker to a friend. I never traded or sold another guitar after that, other than a Telecaster that my father-in-law gave me that I traded for a nice effects unit. I still have all of them and the last one I bought was in June, 2012 - an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO, the second guitar I bought this year.

For a while I bought guitars (all new) just because they looked, played or sounded good. But since I've been into recording, each guitar that I buy has a purpose. I have my sights set on about 5 more and then I'm done. At least my wife hopes so...

EDIT: Dunno where that link came from but that's not the one I bought. THIS is the one I bought.

Sometimes a link to user reviews is created simply by typing out a piece of gear (like SM57). :D

Nice guitar. Sold my plus top recently. Had to do it. Wish I wasn't in that situation, but it was collecting dust anyway. I feel better knowing there is someone who is giving it some good playing time.

Wow!!! Nice life story Grim! :D
I had already lived a lifetime by the time I'd bought that first Kay bass ! I used to say to people back then "I'm 18 but I feel like I'm 40 in my head". I'd forgotten about that phrase till I saw your quote.
Here is a video of me playing the vintage flamenco/classical guitar. I was mostly focusing on camera work, as it was for my Mass. Comm. major, so the sound is only HR quality. :D

I like that. That was nice playing. Some of your fingering would go down really nicely on bass.
Whenever I look at other guitarists or bassists fingers playing, they always seem to have such an ease and lightness and look so symmetrical and artistic. Mine never do ! They look tight and indisciplined, like a spider with three legs cut off being given a serious amount of electrical voltage !
By the way, that classical that you forgot the name of looks pretty familiar. I had one just like it. It was a Manuel Ramirez.

It was a shitty little thing.
The name doesn't ring a bell but to be honest, it wouldn't. To me, it was just a guitar, my first. I bought a little chord book and a pitch pipe and I was just thrilled to be learning one after all those years. That's the kind of owner I was, didn't even know who made the guitar ! I was a bit like that with my piano, my two synths, the clarinet I had, the first double bass I had........In fact, I bought a double bass last month and I couldn't tell you who made it. I had to look at my acoustic fretless bass guitar {it's a real cheap number that I bought a few years back on ebay and when I went to pick it up as I recognized the address, it was in a bed shop !} this morning to see that it was a Swift {never heard of them}.
Going back to that guitar, my first attempts on it were horrorful. Even I used to wince. But once I learned five chords, I was writing songs. I got so used to the wide neck that when it broke and I searched for a replacement, I searched high and low for a steel string with an equally wide neck. I thought my clunky fingers would never make chords on a thin neck. After a couple of weeks, it began to dawn on me that finding a wide neck steel string was not going to happen so I capitulated. Then I got so used to that that when I got the 12 string, I found it initially hard to adjust to a wide neck !

Can't say I'm a guitar owner but I have plenty of basses.
A bass is a guitar. It's a bass guitar.
About 18 years ago, I read an interview with this guy I'd never heard of called Anthony Jackson. Apparently, he was some kind of 6 string bass master. In his interview, he stressed that the bass wasn't just a bass instrument a la stand up bass, but a bass guitar. I was intrigued at his emphasis and in the ensuing years, it's been quite helpful to me. I've come to see that the bass guitar is possibly the most versatile of instruments. I've often used it as a bass guitar rather than just 'the bass which is part of the rhythm section', if that makes any sense.

I like that. That was nice playing. Some of your fingering would go down really nicely on bass.
Whenever I look at other guitarists or bassists fingers playing, they always seem to have such an ease and lightness and look so symmetrical and artistic. Mine never do ! They look tight and indisciplined, like a spider with three legs cut off being given a serious amount of electrical voltage !
The name doesn't ring a bell but to be honest, it wouldn't. To me, it was just a guitar, my first. I bought a little chord book and a pitch pipe and I was just thrilled to be learning one after all those years. That's the kind of owner I was, didn't even know who made the guitar ! I was a bit like that with my piano, my two synths, the clarinet I had, the first double bass I had........In fact, I bought a double bass last month and I couldn't tell you who made it. I had to look at my acoustic fretless bass guitar {it's a real cheap number that I bought a few years back on ebay and when I went to pick it up as I recognized the address, it was in a bed shop !} this morning to see that it was a Swift {never heard of them}.
Going back to that guitar, my first attempts on it were horrorful. Even I used to wince. But once I learned five chords, I was writing songs. I got so used to the wide neck that when it broke and I searched for a replacement, I searched high and low for a steel string with an equally wide neck. I thought my clunky fingers would never make chords on a thin neck. After a couple of weeks, it began to dawn on me that finding a wide neck steel string was not going to happen so I capitulated. Then I got so used to that that when I got the 12 string, I found it initially hard to adjust to a wide neck !

Thanks! I've never given bass a real try. I've always liked the sound of a Hofner. That fat sound that sounds good when riffing, or just looking to fill up a song. I may buy one of the ignition series basses.

Fun fact about spider legs! :D They work like a hydraulic system. I'll sound a little risque here, but the best way to describe the way spiders legs work is by imagining spiders have 8 penises that are constantly being erect and flaccid. That's why when a spider dies, it's legs go inward to it's body. All the fluid is gone from it's legs.

Yeah, I owe a lot to that Manuel Ramirez guitar. It was bad, but it was still my first classical. I've learned many songs on it. Spanish Romance, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, that Farruca you just heard, a Bulerias. As horrible as first guitars may be, they can also be really special.

Guess he shoulda stuck to baseball.

:laughings:

Yeah, I owe a lot to that Manuel Ramirez guitar. It was bad, but it was still my first...... As horrible as first guitars may be, they can also be really special.
I remember just being so excited to be able to change from one chord to another and adding little bits with my little finger and making up chords. And I was 26 !

but the best way to describe the way spiders legs work is by imagining spiders have 8 penises that are constantly being erect and flaccid. That's why when a spider dies, it's legs go inward to it's body. All the fluid is gone from it's legs.
Flaming Nora !

^^^^this^^^ except 48 years for me.

they're just tools of my trade to me after having owned hundreds of the things.
I DO have one guitar that I would hate to lose but even that could be replaced.

I kinda like cheap stuff to a large degree nowadays.

I get that they are tools, but I can't help but have some kind of emotional attachment to some.

My super modded '92 MIM strat was my first guitar. I mowed lawns around the neighborhood until I had enough to buy the guitar and a crappy amp, and continued mowing lawns until I could afford a decent tube amp. I took that guitar on tours with me, recorded albums with it, learned to solder on it. There is something about that body and neck (since that's all that's original) that tugs at my heart. But, I've also got an SG I've had for years and feel no attachment to it. I've recorded with it, toured with it, but for some reason I would have no problem selling it tomorrow, and an ibanez js100 I can't stand. I can't justify or explain the attachment, but it's definitely there.

I don't buy anything until I've researched the hell out of it and almost never sell anything because I don't buy unless I really want it. I'm actually about to buy a new jazzmaster...my last new guitar was a tele in 2005, the SG before that in 1998, and the Strat in 1992...so I guess every 7 years I get a new one :)

I'm the guy that always played cheap shit and weird stuff and never held any kind of connection or emotional attachment to a stupid piece of wood with strings and in the 20+ years I've been playing, just recently bought an actual good guitar.

What did you recently buy?

All but a few of my guitars are home built, or assembled from parts. Besides my Bass they all have my own handwound pickups, and upgraded electronics in them.

I have two Strats. Maple/Ash, and RW/Alder. A BSB tele with a one piece neck. A Squier '51 that has the first two pickups I ever wound in it. Two Epi's, a Les Paul, and a Dot. A modded Harmony archtop. The only Bass I have is a Vintage PV. Two Acoustics, a 000 Martin, and an Ibanez nylon string cutaway that is my campfire guitar. Although I've personalized everything with my electronics, my favorites have to be my home built customs.

I became really absorbed into experimenting with pickups for a few years. Many of the guitars that I own are a result of this, and I use them for demonstration when I wind custom sets. I don't pimp the pickups anymore, but I do sell a few here and there.

What kind of guitar owner?.. I'd have to say, I'm the DIY kind.

Are you learning to play banjo or already a banjo player?
I love banjo Music, I have messed around with it some but I never have been good at any right hand finger picking technique. I'm more of a flat picker

I get that they are tools, but I can't help but have some kind of emotional attachment to some.

My super modded '92 MIM strat was my first guitar. I mowed lawns around the neighborhood until I had enough to buy the guitar and a crappy amp, and continued mowing lawns until I could afford a decent tube amp. I took that guitar on tours with me, recorded albums with it, learned to solder on it. There is something about that body and neck (since that's all that's original) that tugs at my heart. But, I've also got an SG I've had for years and feel no attachment to it. I've recorded with it, toured with it, but for some reason I would have no problem selling it tomorrow, and an ibanez js100 I can't stand. I can't justify or explain the attachment, but it's definitely there.

I don't buy anything until I've researched the hell out of it and almost never sell anything because I don't buy unless I really want it. I'm actually about to buy a new jazzmaster...my last new guitar was a tele in 2005, the SG before that in 1998, and the Strat in 1992...so I guess every 7 years I get a new one :)
yeah .... everybody's different about such things. There's no right or wrong answer ...... and actually I used to LOVE all my gear ....... about 30 years ago and earlier I was enthralled by some of my gear.

But I don't currently think that way.

Ive had at least one guitar since the early eighties but never recorded or played in a band...i have an early 70s twelve string that ill always keep...and around 6 others and a couple of basses...nothing worth over $400

Ill buy something nice eventually, and a couple of nice amps...i dont put that much more cash into synths, one cost $1500, thats the priciest piece of kit ive bought

Id sell it all bar the twelve string timorrow...in fact a few of the guitars will be going to a charity for kids with disabilities to learn on...i cant carry all this shit when i move so often

Id love a gretsch country gentleman...that will probably be my first good one

The proverbial double minded man......

Emotion over and attatchment to an instrument isn't a strange or unusual thing. Sometimes, we're attatched to them without even realizing it. And not feeling attatchment isn't odd either.
I think I'm attatched to my instruments.......until I sell them ! I generally aim to keep them for life or until they are beyond playable but I don't have a single piece of gear that is, um, ah, fireproof !! :D

Emotion over and attachment to an instrument isn't a strange or unusual thing. Sometimes, we're attached to them without even realizing it. And not feeling attachment isn't odd either.
I think I'm attached to my instruments.......until I sell them ! I generally aim to keep them for life or until they are beyond playable but I don't have a single piece of gear that is, um, ah, fireproof !! :D

I hear ya. In the past couple of years I kinda went out and bought some axes that were always on my wishlist. Not that I knew *exactly* what to expect from each, but the worst that could happen would be to have temporary "stewardship" of them.

The ones I liked, but eventually sold were a 2005 PRS Custom 24 20th Anniversary, 1998 Gibson Blueshawk, 1977 SG Standard, 2010 Firebird V and a 2000 Deluxe Strat Crimson Red Transparent. Each one had its charm, but the common factor was that on stage they just didn't turn out to be go-to axes. It was cool to have them as options, and I LOVE guitars enough to keep a harem . . . but ended up keeping the ones that seemed to mesh and feel like I was made to play them (regardless of price or pedigree).

Ended up keeping (among others) a 2006 '76 Explorer Reissue that I put an original T-Top in the bridge, 2010 Jeff Beck Artist Series White Strat, 2000 Peavey Wolfgang Standard w Trem, 2009 Angus Young Signature SG . . . and on the "lesser pedigree scale" a 1996 Les Paul Studio I outfitted with cream pickguard/pickup ring and swapped-out pups and a Highway One Texas Tele.

All the ones I kept are axes I feel great about strapping on at any time. I know the word "mojo" is overused, but that's the best way I can describe it. As gorgeous as the PRS Custom 24 was, I just found I was only using it sparingly (nothing against the PRS . . . it's more of a personality conflict, I suppose ;-).

None of the ones I kept are fireproof as you said, but TTYTT, I know I'd be hard pressed to find others to replace them. OTOH, I had my fling with the PRS and the Blueshawk. Great axes, but not "go-to" babies for me. The general trend is to buy what I can grab that's on my mind within reason, and if we don't "make friends" then flip 'em and look for the next one to check out.

I guess you could say I fall into the "I'll collect them if I *really* like them" category, but not to the point of angst or regret if I have to let some go.

Suds . . .

I am VERY attached to my instruments. I love the least playable guitar as much as the most. They all have a story. I've only sold three guitars over the years and it STILL depresses me to think about it.

This is the guitar I play the most:

Squier.jpg

It's a $50 Squier parlor. The tuner for the D-string makes a rattling noise every time I hit a note.
It sits next to my bed or sometimes out on the porch overnight, and gets shoved in the trunk for vacations and camping trips.
I have written a ton of songs on it!

Back