What Have We Learned So Far??

chrisharris said:
Oh, and what Toki taught me is that if you let Toki play bass on your tune, and you let him EQ his instrument, it takes care of everything, and you don't have to do any post mix EQ'ing, so long as the rest of your instruments are already fitting.

So from now on, Toki plays on everything, lol.

Yeah , Ken has a way of melding humanity and musicianship in simulsync...... I Love Toki!( in a manly way of course).......NO Chris, I don't want to A__ R____ him.......man, I can't even type those words to emulate one of your most recent posts! [ Did you ever do any SERIOUS time?? Why do I hear "Deliverence guitars right now??? squeel piggy squeel!!!! ].............Just fuckin w/ya esquire.:p

Damn...I was kinda' hoping this would devolve into a kind of late night flame war over the subtleties of mastering techniques and preferences...but in the end (pun intended), we just wind up making fun of the lawyer, lol.

But that's cool, too :D

M.Brane said:
LOL Ralph!

Sorry, but I'm a dynamics freak. If I want something to be louder I just reach for the volume knob.

With 900 watts powering my Altecs in a 19'x 11'x 9' room, and no wife volume is not a problem here.:D

Sam Adams Summer Ale for me tonight.:cool:

Yeah, but 35W into my Bose phones in my comfy 22' by 12' still tells me #4 rules!

Get your scrawny ass up to Boston and I'll show you the "BEANTOWN" method of properly disposing of "SAM." (screw the summer & winter shit..I'll take you thru all the New England 'seasons'!

chrisharris said:
Damn...I was kinda' hoping this would devolve into a kind of late night flame war over the subtleties of mastering techniques and preferences...but in the end (pun intended), we just wind up making fun of the lawyer, lol.

But that's cool, too :D

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

no devolution...........but LOTS of fun.

Off to bed, Mari is gonna drag my ass to Foxwoods to lose our asses tomorrow.....oh wtf, it's lots of fun !

ALWAYS double down on 11 even if the dealer is showin a 10!

Hey, I might even join her @ the stud table! Wish us luck! We usually need it! :rolleyes:

flat-9 said:
Yeah, but 35W into my Bose phones in my comfy 22' by 12' still tells me #4 rules!
Actually, at the risk of almost posting on topic, that's a great point. The cans tend to cut out a bunch of harshness, I've notices...and psychoacoustic alterations (like the bass additives) just ALWAYS sound cool in headphones. I think that's why I get into trouble sometimes, lol...although I (almost) never do a "final" mix with headphones, I do a lot of the tweaks late at night (like most of us) when there's really just no option BUT to use headphones, and Sonic Maximizers and limiters etc. just sound GREAT...lol; it's just not fair.

And yes, always double down on 11; no matter what that one and only next card is, you've already won just for being the master of your own destiny.

I lose a lot, btw :D

flat-9 said:

Get your scrawny ass up to Boston and I'll show you the "BEANTOWN" method of properly disposing of "SAM." (screw the summer & winter shit..I'll take you thru all the New England 'seasons'!

Bose, eh? That explains it then.:p

Living in a town full of Mexican farm workers, they stack 30-packs of Bud Light in the aisles at the local store. SAM is about as good as it gets around here. If I want my Franziskaner I have to drive to Ventura.:rolleyes:

chrisharris said:
.................. you've already won just for being the master of your own destiny.

PERFECT! (words to live by, musically & otherwise!

'nite' all..er....3:08AM Eastern. Good night anyways!

Sorry to inturrupt the fun,but it's been bugging me about this dry thing.

Seems like so much of the stuff posted sounds great dry.
I think mabey I have a clue as to why.
It may be partly due to the quality of the reverbs were all using.
Myself especially.

It's a fact we all seem to overlook,were always concerned with good mikes,pre's,monitors,etc.
Not much is discussed on the topic of reverb quality.

Seems to me a lower quality reverb does more harm than good.
Just mucks things up.
Most things sound better dry,or with minimal effects.
Especially with acoustic's and/or dense mixes.

I think this also touches on the subject Crawdad brought up of most of our mixes lacking in the spatial quality of pro mixes.

That's all,just a thought!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program-
The Chris Harris Comedy Hour!:D:D

I think how you run your 'verb is important too.

I never run mine in-line with the mix. I always put it on a stereo aux. track, and bus sends from my tracks to the 'verb track. I run the 'verb 100% wet, and blend it into the mix with the fader. I find running it in-line on the master fader clouds my mixes, and my mixes are cloudy enough already!:D

Yes I suffer from cheap 'verb too. Good ones are expensive, and processor intensive. The general rule I've learned with cheap 'verb is to use it sparingly, and keep the decays short.

Pete & Alan:

I am soaking this stuff up! It's posts like these that will contribute
to my addiction to this place!! Thank you both!

You are the potter, I am the clay...... You are the potter, I am the clay......You are the potter, I am the clay...... ..........

all the stuff I'm learning here, not just from you 2 guys, but from a myriad of others, enhances my playing and musicianship.

This kind of sharing and comradery(sp?) is what it's all about!

(yeah, Alan , couple of Sam's tonite after a gig flurry :D :cool: :D )
with a few more to come too:D

What I learned today:

I need to get some "focused" overheads for my drum kit. The omnis just ain't cuttin' it on the imaging in here. Maybe if the room was bigger.:mad:

I also need to get some pads for my mics. I think I'm still hitting the pres on my sucky Behringer too hard, and the gain is all the way down. This thing really starts to crap out when you get to the yellow lights.:mad:

The drum kit also needs heads, hats and a new thin crash.:rolleyes:

This Pyramid Hefeweizen is also pretty good stuff.:cool:

I think we've learned that un-dsp'd tracks sound great, so only use software plugins when you have to.

Doug H said:
I think we've learned that un-dsp'd tracks sound great, so only use software plugins when you have to.
I learned something last night when I met my band's new drummer for the first time ever 2 hours before a gig, lol. GOOD DRUMMERS CAN FAKE ANYTHING I'VE EVER WRITTEN, lol.

Also, "V-Kits" might not be very sexy, but they make sound checks go about a kazillion times faster. He carried his kit in under one arm, plugged one wire into the snake, and then just kinda' flipped through about 15 kick sounds until he hit one where the 3 of us stood up in unison and said "THAT ONE!"

Hrm...I wonder if I screwed the song up...Maybe M.Brane's still watching this thread...or flat9? somebody? Anybody?...not that anybody should care about me...BUT TOKI987...Think of TOKI !!!!

I don't know what it is to dsp something, but I probably did it, lol.
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

(there's the "dry" recording, and then there's the new and (improved?) Toki version that I redid after hearing some mud...I hear mud everywhere...it's my life's mission to replace all mud with "harshness" wherever I encounter it

"I don't know what it is to dsp something, but I probably did it, lol"

Do it yourSelf Plugins

chrisharris said:

Hrm...I wonder if I screwed the song up...Maybe M.Brane's still watching this thread...or flat9? somebody? Anybody?...not that anybody should care about me...BUT TOKI987...Think of TOKI !!!!

OK then, for the T man.

J/K bro. For you too!:D

I hear mud everywhere...it's my life's mission to replace all mud with "harshness" wherever I encounter it

Well, there's definately no mud in the Toki mix. If replacing mud with harshness was your goal, I'd say you were only partially successful.:p

The mix is definately on the thin side, and most of the harshness is on the guitars & cymbals. You didn't EQ sampled cymbals, did you? Big no-no.

Then again I could just be buzzin' on all that Diazanon I inhaled while spraying the ants outside.:eek:

:D

M.Brane said:

Then again I could just be buzzin' on all that Diazanon I inhaled while spraying the ants outside.:eek:

:D

Be careful with the poison man.You dont wanna follow in Jeff Porcaro's footsteps.:eek:

chrisharris, your a good fella. You did a good tune man, and I`m sure there`s many more that will flow from the well. I`m just a sideman, thats pretty much all I`ve ever been, have done a few gigs that made my days and basked in the glory for a while. Now I just like to play and really enjoyed being able to contribute to something already good. Maybe there`ll be another opening some time and I can help you out again. Thanks for the props...
love ya man

Kramer said:
Be careful with the poison man.You dont wanna follow in Jeff Porcaro's footsteps.:eek:

I always wear rubber gloves, and wash up good after handling that stuff. I never did a lot of coke either.;)

If those ants would stay the fuck out of my house, and the animal's food bowls I wouldn't have to kill 'em.:rolleyes:

Back