U47 "ish" mics

CoolCat

U47 "ish" rabbit hole time again.

With the MXL Revel2 returned I still had a interest in a U47- "ish" mic.
Things Ive learned is to not get a LDC thats 28mv aka real sensitive in my room or I pickup the attic fan and the neighbors cat down the street. Mics around 8mv to 15mv can be a nice fit for my room and interface preamps too letting me leave the gain at 50% to 60%. (vs full on with a SM7b). But I still want a solid preamp in the test drive, so the ISA One will be the preamp.

Tubes and FET's are a trade off, the tube mics having more Self Noise in general, and the FETS can be really quiet in the Self Noise numbers.
WA47 jr 9db, very nice Self Noise number. The WARM AUDIO WA-47 JR looked great and has about 9 of 10 good reviews. I got one for Easter deals at $269 shipped. Brand new this time. A little cheaper than the B-stock MXL REVII in the last test drive.

With the K47 capsule as the main draw I considered it in this quest of 47 mics, it was an FET with multi-pattern that won it over another 47FET ( I might try later). I want to get two fig 8 for the vocal & acoustic null thing which Ive never tried. Its shaped like a tube U47, but its a FET and the transformer is not there (better self noise) so its not really a U47 FET hardcore-clone at all.

To give these U47 mics a good preamp, I grabbed a ISA One.
After trying a pile of preamps over the past few years the ISA ONE won my vote for "pro quality" and "Neutral" sound. Not colored too much and also not super sterile...hence Neutral slang. This should be a solid preamp to run a few U47 "ish" mics through.
*as usual the standard is the SM7b and SM58 I compare to in this small HR room.

Seems WARM really got into making a 47 ish mic, but with some cool design changes.

Specs:
1617631556846.png

Attachments

• WA47 jr FET.png
    WA47 jr FET.png
    227.8 KB · Views: 3

CoolCat

the AA C47fet...looks decent priced.
The CM47fet also features passive "true" cardiod operation like the original U47/U48, U47fet and the original U87 made before 1988.
Thats an interesting comment.

why does the 47fet keep getting mentioned as a Kick drum mic? lol..high spl?

Gtoboy

I am a big fan of FET mics. To my ears they are not as colored as tube mics that retail for under 1K yet seem smooth and full bodied.

rob aylestone

I’ve never heard the sonic advantages of FET spoken about like this. In the 70s Neumann were selling their FET mics as the latest wonderful thing and the magazines back then were not at all convinced. Pretty much the tube vs solid state arguments started then. Some liking clean, some coloured. The FET then was never considered for sound, but for reliability and power supply. However, their performance was very variable and failure rate high. When working properly they were great but at the BBC you’d see quite a few with labels saying noisy!

CoolCat

Those must have been a evolutional time when the Tube gear market had the transistors coming...
The Tube vs Solid State chapter.

Just looking at the WARMAUDIO tube 47 vs FET 47 its a huge cost difference, $900 to $300....
while they seemed to try to keep to some "Neumann copy" goal on the Tube version, ....the WA FET 47 is just a different mic all together than the Neumann FET47.

WA47jr from body style, to removing the transformer, adding the MultiPattern, and tuning changes etc... improved self noise (transformer less) and of course with no power supply box needed, theres not much 47 about it but the capsule 47.
The UT 47FET went all in on copying the Neumann FET47.

Tube and FET
Sylvia Massey has a youtube mentioning the WA47 tube is close enough to the original tube, its in the ballpark, close enough to not spend on the stratosphere pricing of a smithsonian museum collectible with aging parts.
She has the room and skills to know; while being aware there could be PAYOLLA Marketing incentives too. hmmm?
I might have to test drive the WA47 tube....but for $800 the expectations triple. The Advanced Audio CM47 tube looks good at $695 and has a lot of gearhead obsession-passion put into the parts (but it has a K67 capsule?)

I dont get the capsule thing, a 67 is a U67 isnt it? Why make a U47 copy and put in a K67 capsule?

keith.rogers

Bobby'); DROP TABLE USER
the AA C47fet...looks decent priced.
The CM47fet also features passive "true" cardiod operation like the original U47/U48, U47fet and the original U87 made before 1988.
Thats an interesting comment.

why does the 47fet keep getting mentioned as a Kick drum mic? lol..high spl?
Roswell makes a Mini K47 and also a Mini K47KD, the latter designed for high SPLs, more headroom and better bass. I’m guessing putting the EQ and pad switches/electronics in a single “Mini” body was not possible. They look interesting but I’ve got enough LDCs, possibly even too many with 3, right now....

CoolCat

LDC's....as someone said "theres oceans of them now". The WARM 47 JR showed up and a MXL V67G HE, and oddly they are close in diameter so much the metal mesh pop filter of the MXL and Spider Shock Mount fits the WARM 47 JR. Both are <$300, $129 and $260.

The recording hacks shows U47 at 240mm x 63mm diameter. The WA47JR 210mm52dia mm. Which seems fairly close, but it was surprising I expected a big large thing.
160mm and 63mm for the U47 FET ....very strange, imo.187mm..47dia mm for the V67G. The UT 47FET is 210mm 63mm dia. ....254mm and 60 diamm for the WA 47 Tube.
seems odd, but for a never built a mic in my life guy, the Body dimensions seems to me, would be the easiest to match perfectly?

Gtoboy

LDC's....as someone said "theres oceans of them now". The WARM 47 JR showed up and a MXL V67G HE, and oddly they are close in diameter so much the metal mesh pop filter of the MXL and Spider Shock Mount fits the WARM 47 JR. Both are <$300, $129 and $260.

The recording hacks shows U47 at 240mm x 63mm diameter. The WA47JR 210mm52dia mm. Which seems fairly close, but it was surprising I expected a big large thing.
160mm and 63mm for the U47 FET ....very strange, imo.187mm..47dia mm for the V67G. The UT 47FET is 210mm 63mm dia. ....254mm and 60 diamm for the WA 47 Tube.
seems odd, but for a never built a mic in my life guy, the Body dimensions seems to me, would be the easiest to match perfectly?
Kinda got to watch out with diameter specs since they aren't regulated. Some mfg spec is only the diaphragm itself and others measure the entire assembly.

CoolCat

well its been about a week. I really like the WA 47 jr.

1) its really quiet, no self noise
2) FET offers less clutter with the tube box which is nice in a small place.
3) Patterns worked well and are noticeable, the FIGURE 8 can really tune out a acoustic guitar when the mic is pointed at the singer and the null-of the 8 is aimed at the guitar..nice tool.

Ive not owned many LDC I can recall, a MXL 890, huge thing, a RODE NTV, all the SHure KSM's.....this month the MXL V67G and the WA47 jr.

The V67G needs more distance and seemed to kind of "muffle blurr" when I got too close, but finding a sweet spot wasnt a big deal and its so so cheap and amazing deal. I did not hear any mythchineese capsule issues....the V67G has a transformer maybe that smooths the SSsss's a bit.

The WA47 jr was heavier in weight, all the top line parts are inside and the capsule a pride of Warm in their 47 tube. The mic sounded really good to me. It handled various positions better with getting up close or further away. The headbasket is waaay more metal and tough than the other, its very solid and well built probably adding to the weight. The WA47jr feels like a more expensive mic due to the weight and better headbasket, in addition to the components listed. The capsule took my Ssss's well too. I did have the MXL metal pop filter on. The WA47 had a shock and a standard holder, and the MXL metal popfilter worked on it too. There is no doubt a lot of extra build quality in the Warm mic over that MXL, for the extra $100.

Like Keith mentioned I cant justify a mic locker these days, so I dont need more the same. Its hard though the MXL HE V67G is so cheap and just for the metal pop filter and shockmount and case, its worth the $100....add in the mic? its amazing deal. Maybe I can gift it.....?

the WA47jr is probably the best deal and best mic due to the Multi-Pattern and well built capsule, extra mic stand was a great touch. I dont hear a lot of difference from my old "tube mic" tracks to this FET either. I think the 10mv/pa WA47jr FET is perfect for the small room too, getting into 18mv to 28mv sensitive, my HR space is too noisy and those sensitve mics pickup too much next door.

I was very impressed with how quiet the WA47 jr Fet was and its excellent pickup patterns really work. Its a lot of mic and extras for $260, with EASTER discounts and free shipping and no tax from Front End Audio. They have a WA47 Tube and the UT 47 FET(cardiod only).
I get turned off when the 47Fet is aimed at lick drums...I think the 47jr was more of a orifinal design offering multi patterns, so I dont know.

I got a quote of $5,000 to paint my house ...so I did it myself for $150 and hours, in my world that gives me some cash to spend on mics.

Attachments

• WA47JR.png
    WA47JR.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 4