The New Tone Thread

I'm pretty excited about this gig I have tonight. I'm playing with both bands, guitar then drums, but the kicker is that this place is big enough that bringing a full Marshall stack is not the most ridiculous thing ever, so it shall be done. :D

Hauling all that and drums is gonna be a challenge, and that means I can't fit my usual 8x10s backline in my truck, so I'm counting on the other guys to grab my 8x10s from the practice room if they can. So if all goes perfectly, I could have my own super-ridiculous obscenely stupid backline consisting of two 8x10s and a full stack. Haha, combos, pfft. :D

Ha, nah, I don't usually take this much stuff. This is a special occasion. Besides, hauling gear doesn't bother me. That's just part of the deal.

Cool, I'm expecting a YouTube masterpeice!

I'm not sure about a masterpiece, but I'm really excited about it. It's proving to be a giant pain in the ass though. It's seriously going to take the entire weekend at this rate.

I'm pretty excited about this gig I have tonight. I'm playing with both bands, guitar then drums, but the kicker is that this place is big enough that bringing a full Marshall stack is not the most ridiculous thing ever, so it shall be done. :D

Hauling all that and drums is gonna be a challenge, and that means I can't fit my usual 8x10s backline in my truck, so I'm counting on the other guys to grab my 8x10s from the practice room if they can. So if all goes perfectly, I could have my own super-ridiculous obscenely stupid backline consisting of two 8x10s and a full stack. Haha, combos, pfft. :D

That sounds like a ton of fun man. Have blast, and let us know how it went! Oh, and wear hearing protection :D

LOL, have a great gig, Greg. :D

Friday night, we gigged after four weeks scheduled recuperation. We used a quality house PA and at the soundcheck our other guitarist was soundchecked first with his Blackstar 50w head and 2x12 cab. The FOH chap was going "it's sort of thin and scratchy - can you do anything to beef it up a little?" Eventually he moved on to me and I played a couple of ringing chords - he interjected with the talkback mic "YES!!! make it sound like that!" LOL. :D

LOL, have a great gig, Greg. :D

Friday night, we gigged after four weeks scheduled recuperation. We used a quality house PA and at the soundcheck our other guitarist was soundchecked first with his Blackstar 50w head and 2x12 cab. The FOH chap was going "it's sort of thin and scratchy - can you do anything to beef it up a little?" Eventually he moved on to me and I played a couple of ringing chords - he interjected with the talkback mic "YES!!! make it sound like that!" LOL. :D

How long as he had it? It took me fucking ages to get it dialed in.

I could have my own super-ridiculous obscenely stupid backline consisting of two 8x10s and a full stack.
Holy shit, you're doing an Yngwie tribute?

Show us a couple of pictures though - I bet it will look and sound great.

I've been wanting to do this on my 50w plexi reissue. Cork sniffers rave about Sozo caps and shit, so I'm gonna try some. I'm gonna do all the signal caps and see what happens. If that does anything, maybe I'll do transformers after. I might even do the whole board. There are pre-wired boards out there for these amps that drop right in....with a bunch of soldering.

Greg, if you do will you PLEASE take voltage readings from all the valve pins and PLEASE do a recording of the rig before and after with exactly the same setup?
My belief is that caps is caps and "specials" are bollocks but as yet nobody has ever done a valid A/B test to my knowledge.

I would love you to do a gain and frequency response test before and after but doubt you have the equipment.

Have fun!

Dave.

I hope you got to set that rig up beforehand and leave it set up greg. It would be a bitch to set that up between sets. People would be saying; "Wow, that one dude is dripping wet with sweat and they haven't even started playing yet."
haha

Greg, if you do will you PLEASE take voltage readings from all the valve pins and PLEASE do a recording of the rig before and after with exactly the same setup?
My belief is that caps is caps and "specials" are bollocks but as yet nobody has ever done a valid A/B test to my knowledge.
I tend to believe that too, but I don't know. I'm willing to try it out. I don't believe in hype about tubes, but I'm just not sure about caps. I've done all the pin voltages on my JMP 2204, so I'm not unfamiliar with it. If I do a cap swap on the 1987, I'll try to document as much as I can.

I hope you got to set that rig up beforehand and leave it set up greg. It would be a bitch to set that up between sets. People would be saying; "Wow, that one dude is dripping wet with sweat and they haven't even started playing yet."
haha
Lol, no it was backlined. I got there early, set my stuff up, and the other bands just set up in front.

So the gig last night...it was pretty epic. I didn't have both 8x10s. I ended up with only one of them because the other guys couldn't fit both. So it was JCM800 full stack and the JMP 2204 on top of an 8x10. It looked great and sounded killer and gave the idiot soundman fits of rage, so all good. :)

There were a lot of photographers so hopefully I'll get some cool pics in the next few days.

Most importantly, we sold ALL of our merch, including CDs, and raised well over a few thousand dollars for this local childrens charity. Every penny that gig generated went to the charity. I walked away with zero dollars of it and I've never been happier.

So the gig last night...it was pretty epic. I didn't have both 8x10s. I ended up with only one of them because the other guys couldn't fit both. So it was JCM800 full stack and the JMP 2204 on top of an 8x10. It looked great and sounded killer and gave the idiot soundman fits of rage, so all good. :)

There were a lot of photographers so hopefully I'll get some cool pics in the next few days.

Most importantly, we sold ALL of our merch, including CDs, and raised well over a few thousand dollars for this local childrens charity. Every penny that gig generated went to the charity. I walked away with zero dollars of it and I've never been happier.

Now THAT is awesome! Glad it went so well, and good on you guys for the charity.

Now THAT is awesome! Glad it went so well, and good on you guys for the charity.

Yeah it was great. For me, the highlight wasn't blasting Marshall stacks or beating drums to a packed house. That was great and all. But really the best part was at the end of the night and there was nothing left to sell, all the auction items were gone, and there was a big manila envelope loaded with cash going straight to cancer kids.

Yeah it was great. For me, the highlight wasn't blasting Marshall stacks or beating drums to a packed house. That was great and all. But really the best part was at the end of the night and there was nothing left to sell, all the auction items were gone, and there was a big manila envelope loaded with cash going straight to cancer kids.

That's awsome. Man, nothing breaks my heart more than kids having to deal with cancer. Not many things make me cry but kids going through chemo does.

Hey guys,
Just gonna give everyone a heads-up on where I've been the last while...During a routine check-up, my doctor found some spots on my lungs & wanted to do a biopsy to find out what's up ...Had the biopsy last week, but hadn't heard anything about the results until today...I've been scared to death, & very depressed about all this, so that's why I haven't been active here very much...

My doctor actually stopped by my house to give me the results this afternoon (he lives a couple miles up the road from here)...I have an appointment with him this Tuesday, but being the great guy that he is, he didn't wanna make me wait to hear the results (this guy has taken care of me my whole life, & is the doctor that did all he could for my Dad too...great guy to say the least)...

Turns out the spots on my lungs aren't the big "C", but are from my years working underground (black lung/silicosis)...I'm actually relieved as hell, because I was expecting really bad news, because of my family's history on both sides...

I apologize if anyone here has felt offended, insulted or anything because of my absence, this has been a very stressful time for me to say the least....To be honest, I haven't even picked up a guitar since I was told about my lungs, but I plan on getting back in the swing here with my buddies...

Good deal, Miner! I mean it sucks that you're having lung troubles, but I'm glad to hear that it's not cancer. I hope you get to feeling better and get back to working out those guitars and amps! Take care of yourself man.

I've had breathing troubles in my life before, and it's a terrifying feeling. Personally, I like oxygen. I try to ingest as much as I can each day. I tried to quit, but it made me light-headed :D

Back