The New Tone Thread

Tad, all these tones sound great. There's nothing to complain about on any of them, nothing overly harsh or nasty.
That Fender must have been fucking loud in the room.

Yeah, the Deluxe Reverb is right at the point of discomfort when it's in its sweet spot. Not unbearable, but I wouldn't want to listen to it at that volume for an extended time.

The Marshall, however, was deafening on all of those clips. The DR is 22W, the Marshall is 50W, which is only double power. I think that only comes out to maybe +3dB in total volume. I think the difference is the overall speaker surface area. The DR is a 1x12, which would mean that it has about 113 inches of total speaker surface area pushing air. The JCM is going through a 4x10, which totals 314 inches of total speaker surface. That's a lot of air being moved, almost 3 times more than the 1x12.

At least that's how I see it. I could be wrong.

Tad, I like the Jazzmaster & Fender Deluxe best. I didn't like the high input at all.

Thanks Ray. I understand, I didn't like the hi input at first either. And I'm still probably not using it to its fullest potential.

I wouldn't worry about it. Little things like that add character to a mix IMO. Or you could do it The Clash style - Fender/Fender in the middle, LP/Marshalls on the edges. Massive sounds.

Sounds like a good idea. Actually, I think I've done something similar in a couple of mixes...a couple of LP/Marshalls panned wide, and a couple of JM/DR panned narrow.

They don't make the reissues like they made the originals, that's for sure.

No doubt. This is the inside of the '64 showman I bought a few weeks back. -All original near as I can tell. There is voodoo in some of those old amps. It's completely unlike any other brand I've played.

I'll post some clips at some point but I don't have it dialed in yet.

Attachments

• Showman inside 8.24.16.jpg
    Showman inside 8.24.16.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 5
No doubt. This is the inside of the '64 showman I bought a few weeks back. -All original near as I can tell. There is voodoo in some of those old amps. It's completely unlike any other brand I've played.

Sweet!!

The insides of my reissue has all surface-mounted pots, and I think it even has a two-tier PCB. Oh, and I guess mine is officially called the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. It's not so much a reissue since it has a different tone stack on one channel, and has tremolo and reverb available to both channels. It's a cool amp, but pales in comparison to the old school point-to-point stuff like that sweet Showman.

You sure about that? Anyone can make a vintage piece sound like shit. Vintage doesn't mean sounds better. It just means it's old.

I just mean that they tend to be more rugged. They tended to be overbuilt in those days. '64 was the last year that Fender was a company run by passionate enthusiasts. Once CBS bought them, they immediately took steps to increase production volume while reducing costs.

That being said, those giant capacitors being secured only by their solder joints looks like a recipe for something eventually coming loose. Also, the blue ones look like summer sausages :D

---------- Update ----------

I've been working on an acoustic country song today. I won't be posting it here. :D

Hey, I'm always up for hearing acoustic tones as well as electric. I've posted a couple over the years.

I just mean that they tend to be more rugged. They tended to be overbuilt in those days. '64 was the last year that Fender was a company run by passionate enthusiasts. Once CBS bought them, they immediately took steps to increase production volume while reducing costs.

That being said, those giant capacitors being secured only by their solder joints looks like a recipe for something eventually coming loose. Also, the blue ones look like summer sausages :D

---------- Update ----------
Ah yeah, gotcha. They were built pretty well. Fenders had some problems though. The "death cap" is one. Pretty hilarious history to that one. I had to replace a few electrolytic caps on my JMP 2204. They were literally about to nuke everything. The bias feed caps were oozing. I think that's just part of owning something vintage. I wanna use the amp. I don't care that it's not 100% original anymore....and it sounds better now. Sounds fantastic. Pure Marshall goodness.

Hey, I'm always up for hearing acoustic tones as well as electric. I've posted a couple over the years.
It's funny this has come up. It's no secret around here that I fucking despise acoustic guitars with every cell in my body. With a few exceptions, they are the anti-rock and roll. But I played a few today. I was at GC beating the shit out of drums to see of they'd ask me to leave again, and they didn't, so that's good. While there I went into the lame ass hippie folk campfire room that smells like wood and leather and played their highest end $7000 Martins and shit. They sounded nice. As nice as a $200 Fender beginner's acoustic to my electrified ears. But hey, I gave it a try. The ukes were cool though. I want a uke.

I just mean that they tend to be more rugged. They tended to be overbuilt in those days. -[/COLOR]

yeah .... I have a friend with an old blackface deluxe .... not sure of the year .... got to use it on a big outside stage where I could run it on around 8 and holy crap, that thing sang!
Maybe the most responsive thing I've ever played .... just hold notes out like it was singing .... it was really awesome. I remember being somewhat surprised at how amazing it was.

As for the old vs. new thing:
I'm also an audiophile although i don't talk about it much and I'm not obsessed by it anymore ..... but in the audiophile world everything makes a difference.
Different brands even, of caps, sound different. And they really do.
And resistors also can make a difference. At the very least good ones are much more reliably close to spec.
In hi-end stereos you'd be surprised how much difference seemingly minor changes can make.
Sorta like people are surprised how totally different moving a mic 1/2" can sound.

So in the stereo world having different parts means it's gonna sound different.
Now, it's true that reproducing a Mahler symphony involves a whole lot more precision and delicacy and a much wider freq response than a guitar amp does.

But I have little doubt that those old big caps sound different than the small ones they use now ..... and I'm not a cork sniffer at all.

But if you take an old turret board Deluxe and put it next to a modern surface mount Deluxe .... hell, they're different amps!
The only thing the same is the name.
Perhaps the circuitry is similar but they've definitely tweaked things some and ALL the parts are different.
If ALL the parts are different how could it not sound different?

Not that I care ..... I use whatever and get decent results so meh.
But if you wanna be obsessed by every little detail of your tone then a case can be made for one or the other depending on what you want.
That's why nowadays there's considered to be amps that sound 'vintage' or 'modern'.

Different brands even, of caps, sound different. And they really do.
And resistors also can make a difference. At the very least good ones are much closer to spec.
I've been wanting to do this on my 50w plexi reissue. Cork sniffers rave about Sozo caps and shit, so I'm gonna try some. I'm gonna do all the signal caps and see what happens. If that does anything, maybe I'll do transformers after. I might even do the whole board. There are pre-wired boards out there for these amps that drop right in....with a bunch of soldering.

I've been wanting to do this on my 50w plexi reissue. Cork sniffers rave about Sozo caps and shit, so I'm gonna try some. I'm gonna do all the signal caps and see what happens. If that does anything, maybe I'll do transformers after. I might even do the whole board. There are pre-wired boards out there for these amps that drop right in....with a bunch of soldering.
I'd be way interested in that.

I like it a lot .... gits sound really powerful with very good definition ..... no lack of treble but not spikey .... very nice man!

Cheers, Bobsy! I'm quite pleased with this one. Its one of the more recent ones I've done and I've been getting better as I've been going along. Annoyingly the very first track I started working on when I started posting is one of my favourite - I must have re-tracked it a million times now every time I learn something new.

I've popped a bit of a remix on that thread now to bring the vocals up in after the first verse when all the distorted guitars come in.

I've been filming and tracking all night, so my ears are shot. I'll give a listen after some sleep, breakfast, and a coffee in the morning/afternoon. Goodnight, tone thread.

I've been filming and tracking all night, so my ears are shot. I'll give a listen after some sleep, breakfast, and a coffee in the morning/afternoon. Goodnight, tone thread.

Cool, I'm expecting a YouTube masterpeice!

Back