The New Tone Thread

Those look like a good idea, but I'd need to have an american cook it. I've eaten enough scottish food to know that it's gross.

Fortunately they're not Scottish. They were invented in London. If a yank make it they'd probably fill it with squeezy cheese and serve it with sweet potato fries! Frozen pies are always shit, nice fresh pies from a bakery (or made at home) are always great.

Fortunately they're not Scottish. They were invented in London. If a yank make it they'd probably fill it with squeezy cheese and serve it with sweet potato fries! Frozen pies are always shit, nice fresh pies from a bakery (or made at home) are always great.

Yes because great britain is well known for it's fine cuisine. :laughings:

I've tried twice today to dig up an old picture that I took of an egg balancing on the mouth of an empty bottle of scotch. I was joking with my sister in law that I was trying to make scotch eggs but it wasn't working...

Anyways, here are a few tones. Sorry about the panning, I rendered them from a project that I'm working on, and it retained the panning and volume. So enjoy one speaker, the other speaker, or maybe both. Maybe it'll be loud, maybe it'll be quiet. It's a surprise!

All of them are miked with an SM57 through a BAE 1073 pre.

#1: Jazzmaster through the Deluxe Reverb on the Custom channel. Bridge pickup, amp Volume 5, Treble 6, Bass 4

#2: LP Classic through the JCM800 Hi input. Bridge pickup, presence 0, bass 6, mid 7, treble 4, master 5, pre 5 (that's just a guess because I've since changed the settings. But it's pretty close)

#3: LP Classic through the FireFly Fuzz then into the JCM800 Lo input. Bridge pickup, presence 0, bass 6, mid 8, treble 5, master 5, pre 8. Left is playing in 3rd position, right is playing an octave higher in 15th position:

#4: LP Classic through a Boss OC-2 (octave 2=0%, octave 1=30%, dry=100%) then into a FireFly Fuzz, then into JCM800, same settings as the last one

And the (very) rough mix, crushed with too much master bus limiting (hint: it's loud). This is a song from a few years ago that I've been retracking. Drums are real and lose time a few times. I removed the lead vocal because it really sucks. So here's 4 and a half minutes of several guitars and some "ooh aah" backing vocals and a drummer that needs more training:

Last edited:
They all sound nice but the jazz master/deluxe reverb sounds extra nice to me.

Hey thanks IBB. I have to agree, that JM and the DR just have a synergy with each other. I was surprised that it would get that dirty just straight into the amp, and that it held together without getting fizzy. The amp was freaking hot to the touch when I went to turn it off. It didn't like being driven that hard! They don't make the reissues like they made the originals, that's for sure.

That jazz/fender tone is nice, but not like the LP/JCM800. That shit is great.When those two come together in the mix, well, that's rock and roll. Good stuff. I like all the tones.

That jazz/fender tone is nice, but not like the LP/JCM800. That shit is great.When those two come together in the mix, well, that's rock and roll. Good stuff. I like all the tones.

Thanks Greg, much appreciated. As much fun as it is to kind of fight with, hammer and punish that JM (with .012 strings!), there's just something about the LP and JCM800 that makes me feel like some sort of ruler of sound in my house :D NO, SIR OR MADAME, YOU MAY NOT HEAR ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR WHAT I'M PLAYING RIGHT NOW. END OF DISCUSSION. It's just a really satisfying feeling. And I agree, the two sounds combine really well. Hopefully even more so once I finish tracking this song and get the levels worked out. The slightly longer sustain of the LP/JCM makes it sound louder in a mix, and the more punctuated sustain of the JM kind of draws it back. Maybe 100% L/R panning isn't the ticket for these two sounds.

Tad, all these tones sound great. There's nothing to complain about on any of them, nothing overly harsh or nasty.
That Fender must have been fucking loud in the room.

Here's an interesting idea for generating new tones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHxgBwFEb8
Its a Scottish guy and he's got one of them Orange Micro-Dark hybrids with the preamp valve but a SS power section. So he runs the effects send from his Micro-Dark into the effects return of his all valve Bugera. Huge difference and just an interesting idea for coupling together preamp and power amp sections from different amps.

Four and twenty is a pie brand in Australia.
here's a cross elevation of one///
FNT-Real-Chunky-PromoBlock.jpg
Pasties are the signature dish of Cornwall - Aussies who go to the UK go to Cornwall for a pasty.
If I were to make a guitar it'd either be copy of either a Fender Mustang or a Mosrite like my Guyatone. If I made a bass it'd be a Gibson EB clone.

Here's an interesting idea for generating new tones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHxgBwFEb8
Its a Scottish guy and he's got one of them Orange Micro-Dark hybrids with the preamp valve but a SS power section. So he runs the effects send from his Micro-Dark into the effects return of his all valve Bugera. Huge difference and just an interesting idea for coupling together preamp and power amp sections from different amps.

People do that all the time. Well, not so much anymore, but separate pre and power amps were quite common back in the heinous rack gear days. The Marshall JVM, which Bubba and I have, has the ability to be used as a power amp only. I can plug just about anything into the JVM's power amp and amplify it.

The slightly longer sustain of the LP/JCM makes it sound louder in a mix, and the more punctuated sustain of the JM kind of draws it back. Maybe 100% L/R panning isn't the ticket for these two sounds.

I wouldn't worry about it. Little things like that add character to a mix IMO. Or you could do it The Clash style - Fender/Fender in the middle, LP/Marshalls on the edges. Massive sounds.

Ah, I'd just never heard of it before. It makes that little Orange Micro sound pretty big and ballsy.

Ah, I'd just never heard of it before. It makes that little Orange Micro sound pretty big and ballsy.

Some amps, I'm not sure which ones or how, can take things into their effects loop return and it will act as a power amp only. Like if you have some hideous floor processor thing, run it into the power amp or effects return of a real amp, and amplify it through a cab.

There are all kinds of routing options for stereo rigs or whatever you want with a separate power amp and cab. People have mostly gotten away from that stuff now though. Thankfully.

Some amps, I'm not sure which ones or how, can take things into their effects loop return and it will act as a power amp only. Like if you have some hideous floor processor thing, run it into the power amp or effects return of a real amp, and amplify it through a cab.
I would think most of them ..... part of the point of an effects loop is to not have the effects running into the preamp so it would make sense to me that the return of a loop would go to the power amp.

I would think most of them ..... part of the point of an effects loop is to not have the effects running into the preamp so it would make sense to me that the return of a loop would go to the power amp.

Right, that's how I understand it too. But some amps simply won't work if only one half of the loop is being used.

Hmmm, could you just plug your guitar straight into the effects return, bypassing everything? Crystal clean tone straight from your guitar?

Hmmm, could you just plug your guitar straight into the effects return, bypassing everything? Crystal clean tone straight from your guitar?

Maybe. Sometimes. I've heard of techs doing stuff like that to isolate problems in the preamp or power section. Try it and see. I've never tried it myself because I just don't care to do that.

yes ..... that way you're only using the power section. But nothing on the preamp would work .... no tone control or volume control from the preamp.

Back