The New Tone Thread

Next, the Slate Virtual Performer where the user literally doesn't have to play anything at all.

:laughings:

JDOD: Meant to tell you earlier congrats on the amp man.....post some clips if/when you get time....and yes, the Gerg is right about shit rattling/vibrating, when I record my final tracks, basically my whole house vibrates...And I second the motion on getting a mic stand instead of using the cab grabber thing. Sure, it saves a little space but if you want good, usable tracks, might as well spend a little more $$$ & get a proper stand dude....

and even if the grabber itself doesn't rattle, the mic will be vibrating ..... for recording you want the mic isolated from the cab.

I haven't had issues that I've noticed from my CabGrabbers. I've been using them on my 1x12 combos for months now and I think they've been great. I haven't noticed any extraneous vibrations from them. I got a little 6" gooseneck for each of them so they'd have better reach, and I've been loving them. They're definitely a little tricky to place so that they don't sag or droop, I've gotta mess with that clutch and set the position higher than I need it, then force it down so it tightens up enough to hold position. But mine seem to be holding firm. Of course I'm not a gigging or touring guy...my amps stay put all the time and don't move around. But I do move my 2 Cab Grabbers from amp to amp frequently depending on what I'm mic-ing up. So far so good, at least...

I haven't had issues that I've noticed from my CabGrabbers. I've been using them on my 1x12 combos for months now and I think they've been great. I haven't noticed any extraneous vibrations from them. I got a little 6" gooseneck for each of them so they'd have better reach, and I've been loving them. They're definitely a little tricky to place so that they don't sag or droop, I've gotta mess with that clutch and set the position higher than I need it, then force it down so it tightens up enough to hold position. But mine seem to be holding firm. Of course I'm not a gigging or touring guy...my amps stay put all the time and don't move around. But I do move my 2 Cab Grabbers from amp to amp frequently depending on what I'm mic-ing up. So far so good, at least...

I think they are better suited for small cabs and combos, so I bet they work well for you for a long time. Mine are on 4x12s and stretched to the max so that probably has a lot to do with the problems I'm having with them.

I think they are better suited for small cabs and combos, so I bet they work well for you for a long time. Mine are on 4x12s and stretched to the max so that probably has a lot to do with the problems I'm having with them.

I think that they even make a "jumbo" version suited for deep cabinets. I remember almost ordering one by accident until I measured my combos and chose the regular one. I bet that those 4x10s are a challenge for the grabbers...between the added depth and the massive wall-shaking vibrations, I wouldn't doubt that they'd start to crumble!

Honestly I'm surprised that any amplifier stays in one piece, considering the abuse that the internals must go through. Mine all rattle, drives me nuts. Every combo I've bought, I've told myself "I'm never buying another combo, they rattle too much". Then, lo and behold, I buy another combo. Definition of insanity, I guess :)

On the subject of mic stands, I've been thinking of getting one of those bar things to use 2 mics with one stand. Of course, it might limit my placement options, but again, it might work pretty good for what I'd be using it for, which is close mic'ing....Any thoughts on these????

Maybe not exactly like this, but similar:

K&M 23510 Adjustable Stereo Microphone Bar | Sweetwater.com

I think that would work well. That has all the adjustment you need.

Does anyone wanna hear any more attenuator tests? I still haven't done the 50w Plexi or the 50w 2204. But I'm not gonna bother, or blame you, if yall have heard enough. :laughings:

On the subject of mic stands, I've been thinking of getting one of those bar things to use 2 mics with one stand. Of course, it might limit my placement options, but again, it might work pretty good for what I'd be using it for, which is close mic'ing....Any thoughts on these????

Maybe not exactly like this, but similar:

K&M 23510 Adjustable Stereo Microphone Bar | Sweetwater.com

I have something similar. I use it for my pencil condensers when I want to stereo mic an acoustic guitar. I think that they're designed more for X-Y, ORTF, and other stereo mic techniques. I'm not sure what I'd expect from it on a guitar cab. I think that a 2nd mic stand might give you more flexibility, if you have the floor space. Jonny's idea of a couple of goosenecks might be worth trying if you go with the stereo bar.

On mine, I keep getting the screw threads stuck up inside the bottom of my mic clips, and have to use a screwdriver to get them out. Those fuckers can really lodge themselves up in there!

Could you attach goose necks to each of the fittings on the stereo bar? Might give you more leeway with placement.
Thanks guys, but I've had bad experiences with goosnecks and my home-made ISO cab....I could just never get 'em to stay in place, so I use booms with all my stands, when you get a boom locked down/in place, they usually don't move like a gooseneck is prone to (or that's my experiences with 'em anyway)...I've even got a little short one (that I bought for the ISO cab, I think it's like 7"...) I could use with the bar if I needed to...Depending on what I'm trying to do, I think this little bar would work pretty good...

I do think a gooseneck might have more adjustment options, but again, I just like boom arms better myself....

I've got a few mic stands, but JDOD's post about space reminded me of the stereo bar idea I'd had a while back....

Does anyone wanna hear any more attenuator tests? I still haven't done the 50w Plexi or the 50w 2204. But I'm not gonna bother, or blame you, if yall have heard enough. :laughings:

I don't think that more tones are gonna hurt this thread :) If you're bored and find yourself in front of the amps, I'm sure that somebody will listen. I've been in a slump lately and haven't been listening to much of anything here or elsewhere. I like to listen to stuff here when I'm on my studio computer so I can really hear it true, I just haven't been down there much lately.

I think I'll just botch something together to give me a bit more reach for now.

You can actually see the speaker cone more clearly in the pic than you can when you're looking at it. I don't have quite enough reach towards the centre.

Post 'em up Greg, we haven't had any toans here in over a week now, IIRC, Antichef posted the last clips...Doesn't matter to me which amp, cab, mic or whatever dude, I always smile when I see you've posted a clip/tone....

Tadpui: I was just thinking I'd probably be able to use the stereo bar for my usual 2-mic placement, one out toward the edge (usually the 609), & one mic toward the cap (& usually the '57), & it'd save me a little room using just one stand. It's not a big deal using 2 stands really, while I don't have tons of room right now, I'm not cramped up either, if that makes any sense...

I think I'll just botch something together to give me a bit more reach for now.

You can actually see the speaker cone more clearly in the pic than you can when you're looking at it. I don't have quite enough reach towards the centre.

I use 6" goosenecks on mine. They're long enough to reach the center of the cone if I need, but they're not so long that they droop very much under the weight of an SM57.

Oh and for locating the speaker cone behind the grille cloth, I use something similar to this:

3-1/2 in. 9 LED Mini Flashlight

Turn it on, press it right up against the grille cloth, move it around, and you can see the entire speaker so you know exactly where you're placing your mic. I saw a roadie at a concert doing that, and I wondered why I'd never thought of it myself. It's helped me a bunch because my amps' grille cloths don't come off, and they're just opaque enough to make it impossible to see the speaker. I used my cell phone flash for a while, but a cheapie LED flashlight is even better.

Post 'em up Greg, we haven't had any toans here in over a week now, IIRC, Antichef posted the last clips...Doesn't matter to me which amp, cab, mic or whatever dude, I always smile when I see you've posted a clip/tone....

Tadpui: I was just thinking I'd probably be able to use the stereo bar for my usual 2-mic placement, one out toward the edge (usually the 609), & one mic toward the cap (& usually the '57), & it'd save me a little room using just one stand. It's not a big deal using 2 stands really, while I don't have tons of room right now, I'm not cramped up either, if that makes any sense...

Oh, I see. I thought you were planning on miking different speakers. Heck, that'd probably work fine then. It should give you just enough adjustment to get the job done.

Oh, I see. I thought you were planning on miking different speakers. Heck, that'd probably work fine then. It should give you just enough adjustment to get the job done.
I should've been more clear, but yeah, one speaker....

The flashlight thing is really handy too, I took a sharpie & made little dots/circles on my grillcloth about where the center of each speaker is. It's actually pretty handy to be honest....

It would be difficult to use a 609 and something else on the same rig. A 609 orients parallel with the grill while other dynamics are usually perpendicular. You'd have to do some jockeying around. Goosenecks would help for that.

It would be difficult to use a 609 and something else on the same rig. A 609 orients parallel with the grill while other dynamics are usually perpendicular. You'd have to do some jockeying around. Goosenecks would help for that.

Right, or I might be able to use the little 7" boom arm I already have too...This is just something I've been thinking about for a while, like I mentioned, I've got a few mic stands, & there really isn't an issue just using what I already have, just flapping my jaw about this stuff...:).

I've got a couple short goosenecks too, but again, I've just never had much luck getting them to stay in place...

Where the fuck is everyone?

I have been productive in other avenues of my world sadly. I also discovered that i spent alot of time mixing a track i wanted to sound really good in a room with a HORRRIBLE LOW END DEAD ZONE. Or whatever that thing is where the sound cancels itself out or whatever the hell? regardless the low end totally fucked me on that little adventure. So while i sat merrily mixing my song, i wasn't aware that everything that was sitting at about the 75 to 200 range was doubling up on itself.

I have been busy trying to reorganize my room and also get this house ready for a family visit later this summer.

Is it weird i actually thought about all you guys and how you were doing and all the fucking fun i was missing out on on here? Greg and all his rock and roll, Minerdude and his tunes, enthusiasm and work situation. And well, if Lt. Bob has migrated out of Florida? Etc etc.

FANTASTIC AVATAR GREG !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

@JDOD Nice amp man. I have had a bit of closet love affair with the idea of that company. And i'd really like to get my hands on one for a week or so to see if i love them. the general consensus i have heard is that the heads themselves are great little units. But the cabs and stock speakers leave a little to be desired. Hard to say. But i am looking forward to hearing what yours can do!!

Back