The New Tone Thread

Virtual mics that are sibilant like crazy based on his voice over.
I followed MM's link re the stereo bar & was stunned by this:
Sweetwater's friendly Sales Engineers ...
Sales Engineers!!??
The name is everything these days.
Every student studying to be a teach in Australia is now studying for Master of Teaching.
Nope, they haven't obtained a degree and done further study - the degree (Bach Ed) has been renamed a master.
All of those who did the work and achieved a Masters in Ed is mighty peeved now.
Fortunately I have neither - then again I don't have a B Ed either.
Yep, I'm THAT old.

I use 6" goosenecks on mine. They're long enough to reach the center of the cone if I need, but they're not so long that they droop very much under the weight of an SM57.

Oh and for locating the speaker cone behind the grille cloth, I use something similar to this:

3-1/2 in. 9 LED Mini Flashlight

Turn it on, press it right up against the grille cloth, move it around, and you can see the entire speaker so you know exactly where you're placing your mic. I saw a roadie at a concert doing that, and I wondered why I'd never thought of it myself. It's helped me a bunch because my amps' grille cloths don't come off, and they're just opaque enough to make it impossible to see the speaker. I used my cell phone flash for a while, but a cheapie LED flashlight is even better.
Cheers, Tad

I have been productive in other avenues of my world sadly. I also discovered that i spent alot of time mixing a track i wanted to sound really good in a room with a HORRRIBLE LOW END DEAD ZONE. Or whatever that thing is where the sound cancels itself out or whatever the hell? regardless the low end totally fucked me on that little adventure. So while i sat merrily mixing my song, i wasn't aware that everything that was sitting at about the 75 to 200 range was doubling up on itself.

I have been busy trying to reorganize my room and also get this house ready for a family visit later this summer.

Is it weird i actually thought about all you guys and how you were doing and all the fucking fun i was missing out on on here? Greg and all his rock and roll, Minerdude and his tunes, enthusiasm and work situation. And well, if Lt. Bob has migrated out of Florida? Etc etc.

FANTASTIC AVATAR GREG !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

@JDOD Nice amp man. I have had a bit of closet love affair with the idea of that company. And i'd really like to get my hands on one for a week or so to see if i love them. the general consensus i have heard is that the heads themselves are great little units. But the cabs and stock speakers leave a little to be desired. Hard to say. But i am looking forward to hearing what yours can do!!
I don't think the speaker is bad as such, it's just not as good as a V30. I played it alongside a tiny terror through a V30. That was my final decision. The TT V30 sounded sweeter for that one tone but the blackstar was way more versatile while still being simple to use and set up.

I hope to post a seek and destroy / four horsemen riff medley wirh as little gain as I can get away with next weekend.

If it's any consolation, Sweetwater's sales engineers ARE actually very friendly. :D

Lol. They really are. I bought some stuff a while back and one of their sales guys emailed me and we had like a week long conversation about gear and anything and everything. He still emails me every now and then just to see what's going on.

I have been productive in other avenues of my world sadly. I also discovered that i spent alot of time mixing a track i wanted to sound really good in a room with a HORRRIBLE LOW END DEAD ZONE. Or whatever that thing is where the sound cancels itself out or whatever the hell? regardless the low end totally fucked me on that little adventure. So while i sat merrily mixing my song, i wasn't aware that everything that was sitting at about the 75 to 200 range was doubling up on itself.

I have been busy trying to reorganize my room and also get this house ready for a family visit later this summer.

Is it weird i actually thought about all you guys and how you were doing and all the fucking fun i was missing out on on here? Greg and all his rock and roll, Minerdude and his tunes, enthusiasm and work situation. And well, if Lt. Bob has migrated out of Florida? Etc etc.

FANTASTIC AVATAR GREG !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I was at the beach all last week and when I got back I checked in here and nothing had happened! I thought I was gonna have a pile of tones to catch up on. :(

Maybe one day. I don't surf anymore though. I go for surf fishing. How's the fishing in Portugal?
Good apparently, it's un upwelling so the water is quite cold and rich. There were loads of people fishing there both on the cliffs and in boats. The local seafood is great.

If it's any consolation, Sweetwater's sales engineers ARE actually very friendly. :D
Hmm? Next time you are in there will you ask these nice people why they are stocking Buggeras complete ripoffs of "our" HT-5 and HT-20 heads please?

Dave.

I don't think the speaker is bad as such, it's just not as good as a V30. I played it alongside a tiny terror through a V30. That was my final decision. The TT V30 sounded sweeter for that one tone but the blackstar was way more versatile while still being simple to use and set up.
While I have no experience with the Blackstar amp you just bought, I did have an HT-5 for a while (the combo version), & to me, the stock speaker wasn't all that great IMHO....The HT-5 had a single 12AX7 pre-amp tube, & used a 12BH7 for the power section...

Just had a look at your amp's specs/info, & looks like it's got 2 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, 2 EL34's, & a Celestion Rocket 50...I'm betting the amp you bought is way better than the HT-5 because of the EL34 power section & Celestion speaker...

Kinda gets my curiosity up about that little amp with the EL34's, I bet it'd sound great pushing a 4x12...

All amps are a ripoff of something else. How are you being ripped off?
There was a big shit-storm of a thread in the Marshall forum about the same thing awhile back....The guy who started the thread was basically saying Ceriatone & all the other clones/copies were shit...I didn't get into the big argument about that shit myself, but I did lose respect for a few people in that particular thread...Basically cork-sniffing bullshit to me...This guy was waving the "Cameron & Friedman" flag (which are rip-offs to me), while bashing Ceriatone & other clone amp makers...The way I see it, why the fuck should I pay $4,000 for a fuckin' amp, when I can get one for about 1/4 of that price that will do basically the same tones??? Just cork-sniffing, price-tag bullshit IMO...

While I have no experience with the Blackstar amp you just bought, I did have an HT-5 for a while (the combo version), & to me, the stock speaker wasn't all that great IMHO....The HT-5 had a single 12AX7 pre-amp tube, & used a 12BH7 for the power section...

Just had a look at your amp's specs/info, & looks like it's got 2 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, 2 EL34's, & a Celestion Rocket 50...I'm betting the amp you bought is way better than the HT-5 because of the EL34 power section & Celestion speaker...

Kinda gets my curiosity up about that little amp with the EL34's, I bet it'd sound great pushing a 4x12...

I think it's ecc83 in the preamp section actually. Apparently the Rocket 50 is shit, the people who say it's shit probably mean it isn't as good as a V30 which is true. The rocket 50 sounds fine though really although I will probably upgrade in future.

There was a big shit-storm of a thread in the Marshall forum about the same thing awhile back....The guy who started the thread was basically saying Ceriatone & all the other clones/copies were shit...I didn't get into the big argument about that shit myself, but I did lose respect for a few people in that particular thread...Basically cork-sniffing bullshit to me...This guy was waving the "Cameron & Friedman" flag (which are rip-offs to me), while bashing Ceriatone & other clone amp makers...The way I see it, why the fuck should I pay $4,000 for a fuckin' amp, when I can get one for about 1/4 of that price that will do basically the same tones??? Just cork-sniffing, price-tag bullshit IMO...

People are incredibly stupid. Marshall people might be the stupidest. Lol. They have so many rules and regulations about what matters and what doesn't. Some clones are acceptable, some aren't. A Metro clone is okay, a Ceriatone isn't. Sozo caps are okay, but Orange Drops don't sound right. Insanity! What the fucking fuck? I had a dude at a gig a while back tell me that my 1979 JMP 2204 is devalued because it's not in it's original headbox. He's right, it isn't, and I could not give less a shit about that. I'll put that fucker in a shoe box and it will still sound bad ass.

I think it's ecc83 in the preamp section actually. Apparently the Rocket 50 is shit, the people who say it's shit probably mean it isn't as good as a V30 which is true. The rocket 50 sounds fine though really although I will probably upgrade in future.

ecc83 and 12ax7 are the same thing. One's the limey term, one is the yankee term. You call it a lift, we call it an elevator. You call it ecc83, we call it 12ax7.

ecc83 and 12ax7 are the same thing. One's the limey term, one is the yankee term. You call it a lift, we call it an elevator. You call it ecc83, we call it 12ax7.
I'm sure you're right. I have no idea, just quoting what it says on the box!

I'm sure you're right. I have no idea, just quoting what it says on the box!

The box is right, and 12ax7 is right. They're the same tube. Why they have to be called different things because of an ocean between us, I don't know. That's just how it is. ecc83 = 12ax7. Marshall calls their preamp tubes ecc83. Fender calls theirs 12ax7. You can swap one for the other because they're the same.

People are incredibly stupid. Marshall people might be the stupidest. Lol. They have so many rules and regulations about what matters and what doesn't. Some clones are acceptable, some aren't. A Metro clone is okay, a Ceriatone isn't. Sozo caps are okay, but Orange Drops don't sound right. Insanity! What the fucking fuck? I had a dude at a gig a while back tell me that my 1979 JMP 2204 is devalued because it's not in it's original headbox. He's right, it isn't, and I could not give less a shit about that. I'll put that fucker in a shoe box and it will still sound bad ass.

Lol, why would you sit round worrying about the value of an amp. People are obsessed with the value of stuff, usually their houses. Unless you're planning on selling it, which I'm guessing you're not, why would you even care?

Lol, why would you sit round worrying about the value of an amp. People are obsessed with the value of stuff, usually their houses. Unless you're planning on selling it, which I'm guessing you're not, why would you even care?

I don't care. My 2204 is in a regular old Plexi style headbox with the small script logo. It's not like it's in some weird box that looks goofy. It looks like a Plexi-era Marshall. I've been thinking about getting a "correct" aftermarket headbox because I really love the look of those late 70s Marshall heads with the big white piping and shit, but it's just a headbox. I'm not worried about it's original value.

Another weird encounter: I had my Angus SG at a gig recently and a guy from one of the other bands asked me if I was going to play it. I said "probably not because I'm gonna play the other guitar" which was my Hallmark Mosrite clone. He said that was a good thing because he'd never let an Angus SG leave the house. These attitudes blow my mind. It's a guitar. I play it. I'm not gonna smash it against the stage, so what the fuck is the big deal?

Back