The New Tone Thread

Got my amp all set up at home - managed a few preliminary recorded tones - nothing that I want to post yet though - haven't spent much time either recording or pissing about with mic placement this weekend. a) I've just been really busy, b) when I've been playing, I've just wanted to enjoy playing - I've not really had the motivation to press the red button. It sounds great though an I absolutely love it!

Amp Set Up.jpg

I plonked it on my amp shelf and it was sounding great - when I decided to crank it a bit to get some tones I got a really annoying snare drum noise from somewhere on my amp shelf and just couldn't work out what it was - it's actually obvious in the photo, but I couldn't see it when standing in front of the amp.

There's a couple of screws laying on the shelf under the amp - wally.

Could probably post this question in other places but also probably more likely to get an answer quickly in the Tone Thread.

With my old amp and shit mic, I would always have Gearbox (old amp sim) open - but set to no mic, no cab. There's still a volume control on this although it certainly affects the tone; its' not awful - but it does sound a little fake.

This weekend I have had a fiddle about recording a couple of bits with Gearbox closed, just plugging the mic into the UX2 and recording in REAPER - the drawback with this is that I don't get to hear what the mic is picking up in my headphones. Anyone know where I will find the setting to monitor my guitar in my headphones in realtime using a UX2 into REAPER on a computer running Win8.1?

Could probably post this question in other places but also probably more likely to get an answer quickly in the Tone Thread.

With my old amp and shit mic, I would always have Gearbox (old amp sim) open - but set to no mic, no cab. There's still a volume control on this although it certainly affects the tone; its' not awful - but it does sound a little fake.

This weekend I have had a fiddle about recording a couple of bits with Gearbox closed, just plugging the mic into the UX2 and recording in REAPER - the drawback with this is that I don't get to hear what the mic is picking up in my headphones. Anyone know where I will find the setting to monitor my guitar in my headphones in realtime using a UX2 into REAPER on a computer running Win8.1?

If you hit the monitor button on the channel in Reaper (it's a little picture of a speaker, it will only give monitoring sound when record is enabled on that channel), it will feed the sound back to you via your interface, i.e. with latency. A quick Google suggests that maybe the UX2 doesn't have a direct monitoring facility, so Reaper monitoring might be your only option - check the manual.

If you hit the monitor button on the channel in Reaper (it's a little picture of a speaker, it will only give monitoring sound when record is enabled on that channel), it will feed the sound back to you via your interface, i.e. with latency. A quick Google suggests that maybe the UX2 doesn't have a direct monitoring facility, so Reaper monitoring might be your only option - check the manual.
Ah, I haven't actually spotted that button. Where is it?

I don't really need to monitor my guitar in real time: I'm standing next to the amp afterall! Would just be handy to have my headphones on when I am working on my mic placement so I don't just do loads of iterations of trial and error recordings.

Ah, I haven't actually spotted that button. Where is it?

I don't really need to monitor my guitar in real time: I'm standing next to the amp afterall! Would just be handy to have my headphones on when I am working on my mic placement so I don't just do loads of iterations of trial and error

On the default skin, it's just below the FX button. You need to expand the track to see it. Otherwise, on the mixer window, it's below the solo button.

On the default skin, it's just below the FX button. You need to expand the track to see it. Otherwise, on the mixer window, it's below the solo button.

Cheers, will have a look next weekend - my cab clamp doesn't seem to have an arm quite long enough to reach where I normally like it. Annoying.

Cheers, will have a look next weekend - my cab clamp doesn't seem to have an arm quite long enough to reach where I normally like it. Annoying.

Get a mic stand. Those cab clamps are okay for live use when you're just sticking a mic and the soundguy is gonna EQ the shit out of it anyway, but for recording, a regular ol mic stand is better. Those cab grabber things are limited and they will sag and droop and get weak and they're just a pain overall.

For monitoring, if you can't direct monitor through the interface, set your latency as low as you can if you can and use Reaper's monitoring function as jonny suggested. If there is latency, it can be distracting.

Get a mic stand. Those cab clamps are okay for live use when you're just sticking a mic and the soundguy is gonna EQ the shit out of it anyway, but for recording, a regular ol mic stand is better. Those cab grabber things are limited and they will sag and droop and get weak and they're just a pain overall.

For monitoring, if you can't direct monitor through the interface, set your latency as low as you can if you can and use Reaper's monitoring function as jonny suggested. If there is latency, it can be distracting.

Got a mic stand but it irritates me - seems to use up loads of floor space 'cos of the feet; the clamp is just neater. I will have a play about with monitoring in REAPER next weekend, as I said - I am more doing it to sort out my mic placement and find the sweet spot on that speaker without having Gearbox open.

Is that amp staying on that shelf? Is that it's home? You could use a low profile stand, like a kick drum mic stand. They have a heavy base and a small footprint. I use them on my own cabs pretty much exclusively. They take up no space.

750-MicStdDeskBm_detail1.jpg

Is that amp staying on that shelf? Is that it's home? You could use a low profile stand, like a kick drum mic stand. They have a heavy base and a small footprint. I use them on my own cabs pretty much exclusively. They take up no space.
Cheers Greg, great idea. Might look at finding a straight stand without the boom. Actually - I think I can botch one together out of my normal mic stand and a couple of bricks or something.

Yeah, that's where it lives, my little bass amp is underneath with my old records and my bucket of leads/connectors etc. My pedal board lives on the floor just in front of the shelf - You

Oh and congrats on the new amp. :)

I see that Give Em Enough Rope album on your shelf too. Great album.
Cheers, Mate. I'm really happy with it. Never owned a valve amp and can't believe how dynamic the sound is. I've very rarely used the gain knob on it so far - just the volume on the crunch channel. Goes from a really nice punky distortion on the bridge pickup to almost clean when I switch to the neck and single coil tap it.

Was listening to that record while doing some work on the floor in that room before I went to Portugal so its at the top of my pile. Its a classic - no donkeys on there.

Another potential problem with those cab grabbers mic clamps is noise. Sometimes the cab can transfer a hum or rattle into the cab grabber thing which gets into the mic. I can't tell which cab clamp you're using, but some of them have a spring inside to keep the clamp clamped on to the cab. That spring can get weak and start banging around inside it's tube. And not to mention, springs easily vibrate at pretty much any frequency. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it can. Some clap-on drum mic designs have these same problems. If you ever start getting weird, inexplicable sounds in your guitar tracks, it could be that damn cab grabber thing.

I have two Audix Cab Grabbers. With one of them, I can't use it with a 57 on the top half of my A cab because it makes noise. That combination just doesn't work. I can use it elsewhere or with a different mic. But on the A with a 57 I get a rattle.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind if any odd noises crop up. I was pretty surprised by the sound those screws made that I left on the shelf under the amp - they sounded like a snare buzzing.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind if any odd noises crop up. I was pretty surprised by the sound those screws made that I left on the shelf under the amp - they sounded like a snare buzzing.

Yeah dude, amps make everything around you vibrate, rattle, and buzz. They don't even have to be that loud to get things rattling around. Mine have vibrated things off the walls. No kidding. I have some baseball caps hanging on hooks in my room and they fall down all the time with the amps blaring. My wife has these candle holder sconce things hanging on the wall in the room next to mine. They haven't fallen, but their vibrations have rubbed the paint off the wall where they're mounted.

I thought I had already written this but seem to have lost the message in the ether.

I also got a Fulltone OCD from my mrs for my birthday - it's great. On light crunch settings it just seems to sound exactly the same as the amp. Which is great really - using light crunch on the pedal with light crunch on the amp is great.

Back