Tascam TSR-8 Playback Issue - slowing down to a stop

terribletraffic

Hey

I've not used my tascam tsr8 for a little while, and I cleaned it up the other day to start using it again, having got it back to my studio, and it works fine, apart from when I play the tape, the tape slows down and then eventually stops.
Have seen a few people mentioning this happen to them but no definitive answer on what to clean / replace. it could use a service I think , so does anyone know anyone who fixes these machines? I'm based in Cornwall, but happy to travel / send to someone.

If anyone can help that would be great. Ideally it's something I can try and fix myself. I just don't know how to!

Many thanks

Max

A tape with sticky-shed syndrome will cause this to happen. Try a different tape that you know fo9r certain is free of sticky-shed.

thanks so much I'll try, but I am using pretty new tape that is free from sticky shed syndrome I think. Pretty sure. Would it be anything else?

thanks so much I'll try, but I am using pretty new tape that is free from sticky shed syndrome I think. Pretty sure. Would it be anything else?
If you're sure it isn't a tape issue than it's time to find a tech that knows the insides of that machine. After a long period of being idle, rubber parts could have deteriorated, grease might have solidified, &/or an electronic component has gone down. Perhaps Sweetbeats will chime in.

The TSR 8 with only two heads was a reduced price deck so it is sure not to have a direct drive motor and in the manual I looked at it has a capstan belt- this could be getting sticky or loose. Either condition will not be good and you certainly do not want to burn out a motor as there are no new ones. Oiling in the bearings and new belt is certainly a good start and a confirmation of the tensions. If back tension is set wrong then the reel as it gets smaller will make even greater amounts of torque against the correct speed thus causing a tape to slow down. What happen when it slows down- does the capstan shaft stop or keep going- you might have a unit with incorrect pinch roller pressure. I have seen units when people work on them that are not qualified and they move solenoid as if their position is not important but they are very much so. I may not be Sweetbeats but a Tascam Technician from Chicago Factory Service. I still work on equipment even these days- wish the heat would subside.

Back