Tascam M520 Story...

Daniel, Ethan, Dave, thanks for the info and encouragement! :)

Ethan,

If you are paranoid now would be a good time to test its protective ground. Take a meter set for the 200/250 AC volt range and touch one end to the PS case metal and the other to a safety ground (the screw on an outlet). There should be no voltage. (You could plug it into a GFI outlet in the bathroom or kitchen to do the same thing) I am assuming that this is a 3 wire plug but I cold be wrong here.

It is a two-wire plug...any way to still test that then...or am I correct that since it is a two-wire plug there is no protective ground?

I don't have an analog scope...I have PC software though, which is certainly not as good. I have a good DMM though (sensitive, high refresh rate). Would it be better to check for that DC ripple measuring AC with a good DMM, or use the software scope? If I use the DMM do I just set it to an autoranging AC function and measure across each conductor to ground (chassis)?

Thanks so much for the step-wise advice on checking the power supply's viability. I will do just that.

For the light-bulb load-test...So I could just take any light bulb and, given the wattage rating of the bulb, and measuring the resistance of the bulb using my DMM calculate the load right?? So in that way I could find appropriate loads for each supply circuit in the PSU right?? I have another DMM which will do data logging to PC. Could I then conceivably connect the load to the circuit and connect the DMM in parallel and log the voltage output to confirm stability over time?

Dave,

I would be VERY interested in information that would allow a reverse engineering of the PSU umbilical cable. If you have info as to where it might be possible to get the connectors and hoods, as well as the ability to spec the cable, I think that would be tremendous info to have up here on the forum. Actually I could probably get the cable spec info from Tascam engineering...cross that bridge if we come to it...If I end up needing to build the cable, I could do a couple more while I'm at it y'know?

I'm going to get in touch with the guy that has the PSU in the next 24 hours to arrange the transfer and inquire again about the cable.

Dave, is there any way you could get a good picture of one of the umbilical cables and the connector? It might help. The guy that has the PSU is not a technical person, and I'm not sure he knows what he is looking for...

You are just checking to be sure that there is not a hot case that will kill you when you ground it. You can measure case to ground voltage and reverse the plug. This gets both sides of the switch/fuse on the hot side of the "mains".

I don't think that you need to check the actual max current the PS can supply, just that it can supply power to the lamp without a voltage drop. If you use a too high wattage lamp (low resistance) you could draw too much current and pop a fuse.

The scope (or PC) is just to check for ripple. A blown diode would introduce more ripple but listening tests would show excessive ripple.

If it were me I would plug it in to see if it smokes, do the "don't kill me" test, measure the no load voltages and then plug it into the mixer to measure the load voltages. (but then again I don't mind living a more risky life)

E

Please...anybody?

Can anybody with an M520 put up some high-res pics of the umbilical cable?

The very nice gentleman that has gone to the trouble to find the PS520 said it would help him if I could send him a picture of the cable as he doesn't know what it looks like.

He has finished all his "spring-cleaning" and the storage closet is empty and the cable didn't show up, but he said he has a big box of cables and miscellany that he is going through this weekend...he doesn't think anything like the umbilical cable is in there, but he also said he was certain that he didn't have the power supply...pleez help me help him help me!! :D

Cory, I've got something for ya!:D

----

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2521.jpg
    IMG_2521.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 243
Man its getting downright warm and fuzzy around here!!

cjacek,

I'm just an outsider looking in. But man I gotta tell you anyway; you are one heck of a nice guy.

Danny

Danny,

Takes one to know one. :) Seriously. And you spotted him right?

Anybody, follow the link that is at the beginning of my "Tascam 58-OB Story..." thread that takes you to the origins of the story over at the Tascam Analog Forum. Read through that original thread, if you dare :rolleyes:, and see the effort that Pianodano put in there to help. Its folks like that that help guys like me come back to analog and stay in it...guys like dano, cjacek, Beck, Ethan (evm1024), ethyrvalve, Dave (hilltop studios), Chris (ausrock), Dave (A Reel Person)...Not trying to leave anybody out because the list is huge. Serious big gihugic thanks. ;)

And Daniel (cjacek), I owe you another one for the pics of the umbilical (that camera has got a special character to it...seriously...the pictures look film camera-ish...not sure how that could be, but there is something about how it responds to light and shadows or something...). Wow, thank you. Those are better than I had hoped for. I'm going to send them to the guy right away.

So wait...where did you get access to a cable? And that is an M520 is it not??

Hey everybody, Daniel did this in the midst of a move. :eek:

Thanks buddy! I'd get you some green chiclets, but it sez I have to spread them around...:mad::D

Last edited:
Danny, Cory... thanks!:o

I would like to clarify [I couldn't earlier because I wanted to post the pictures asap but didn't have the time to explain their origins, in any great detail].

OK, the photos are not mine but of someone else's work, who is currently selling her M-520 and kindly made 'em for me, after I half begged her.. :eek::D;)

To fulfill my end of the bargain, here's Beck's email, if anyone reading this wants a nice M-520 and wants to deal with a really nice person: beckcains@hotmail.com

The only catch is that she's located in Gold Coast Queensland, Australia, if I got her info right.

ausrock, where are ya man?;)

----

Attachments

• 82kez2p.jpg
    82kez2p.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Oh wow...

Daniel, that's huge...that is called going above and beyond.

Thank you. ;)

I'll email a note of thanks to the guy.

Daniel, Cory,

I'm right here :D.......probably about 8 hours drive south of the Gold Coast.

Better let you know that Beck Cains is a "she" NOT a "he" ;)............and Cory, that's who I had intended to contact when we were discussing the schematic, etc., for the power supply.............coincidence heh?

Chris :cool:

Chris,

Interesting turn of events indeed!:eek::D;)

Beck Cains is a she!? Never in a million years would I have figured it out, from the name alone. I kinda feel embarrassed...:o

Beck, if you ever read this.... sorry....:o:o

[Will have to edit my previous post].:cool:

---

Cory,

Thanks. I wish I could do more to help in your adventure.

Danny

Dave,

You (still) crack me up! :D

So are those shots of (one of) your setups? :)

I can identify most of the gear in the racks...is that a Fostex cassette multitrack unit top left?

I also see a 234, PE-40 (x2), MX-80, HA-40 (is that the model number? Tascam headphone amp), the PS520, an RS-20, an M-1 (or is that an M-1b?), some compressor, and some graphic eq.

Update on the cleanup...

Well, I'd planned on spending some time tonight with further disassembly/cleanup of the M520 this eve...kids clogged our sewer system late this afternoon though...right where it goes into the septic...so glad I put that cleanout in earlier this year. :)

So in spite of that I did do some more work on the console:

• removed all dress panels
  • removed/inspected all faders
  • sucked up some more dust

Next I'll vacuum out the rest of the dust and clean the modules well.

I found the missing channel input selector knob inside the console! :eek:

It looks as though somebody added a shield around the headphone jack. Funky. The jack isn't attached with the right hardware either, though the jack itself looks original.

Tascam:...

M-520 - 20x8 console mixer
PS-520- P/S unit
MX-80 - 8x2 mic mixer
PE-40 (2) - 4x parametric EQ
MH-40 - 4x headphone amp
GE-20 - (TEAC) stereo graphic EQ
M1-B - 8x2 line mixer
RS-20 - stereo reverb
234 - 4-track Syncaset recorder

Fostex:...
3070 - stereo compressor
MC102 - 10x2 mic/line mixer/stereo cassette recorder:eek::eek:;)

Last edited:
**for All Power Umbilical-less Tascam Console Owners**

Tascam does not sell the power umbilical cable for the M520, but they DO sell the connectors, which come with the hoods!!

If you go this route you will have to find the right kind of cable.

If the guy that has the PS520 for my M520 is unable to find the umbilical cable, I will build one. I will contact Tascam engineering to get the specs on the cable and I'll post up any sources I get for the cable.

Here are the part number and price references:

p/n 605231700, Connector Socket, $34.17 each
p/n 605231800, Plug, $32.73 each

"These parts do come with the cover or hood, however they are not assembled, that's something you will need to do yourself."

:D

Back