Cool Picks

I just won a bunch of picks in a competition.

They're from Iron Age Guitar Accessories. They're bone, horn, ebony and coconut shell.

All supposed to be massively hard wearing - I've never played with picks like this before. Should be interesting.

They certainly look cool, they're shaped like spearheads and they're all very hard indeed and very thick. Not played with this style of pick very much so I will be interested to see how I get on with them. My choice of picks has got harder over the years and I've started playing with the back end of the pick and just a tiny bit sticking out past my thumb in the last year, so moving to an even thicker, harder pick could be just what I need.

I've also finally stopped using Dunlop nylons about 6 months ago as with the pick rotated around the grip on them created loads of friction which was both slow and introduced a stratchyness.

Iron Age Guitar Accessories| Bone & Horn Spearhead Guitar Pick Set
Iron Age Guitar Accessories| Exotic Wood Spearhead Guitar Picks

Those look ridiculously thick - what do they measure?

Well I already knew that much. Lol. I just can't apply this stuff no matter how hard I try.

I'm gonna record a demo clip of a song I'm working on, and you come up with a lead for it that isn't just a basic minor pentatonic rock lead. I need to hear this shit in action. Because when I try all these fucking dorky modes, it all sounds like shit besides the basic minor pentatonic rock lead.

Tell me what the chord sequence is, preferably whether you see them as Maj or Min chords - I know you're probably playing power chords, but if you go through the sequence slowly and fully strum each chord you'll quickly gravitate to either Maj or Min. I think you'll find it either sounds exactly like you'd expect it to sound or it will sound like shred-wankery. I'm not sure there's gonna be a middle ground.

---------- Update ----------

Those look ridiculously thick - what do they measure?

They're about 1.5mm but they're very, very dense and hard. Holding each end of the pick between thumbs and forefingers I can't bend them.

Tell me what the chord sequence is, preferably whether you see them as Maj or Min chords - I know you're probably playing power chords, but if you go through the sequence slowly and fully strum each chord you'll quickly gravitate to either Maj or Min.

There are no "major or minor chords". It's one note surf-ish rapid fire riffing and basic major open/power chords.

There are no "major or minor chords". It's one note surf-ish rapid fire riffing and basic major open/power chords.
Cool, I'll probably be able to work something out and it'll definitely be a fun challenge. I have a meeting this afternoon but I should be home by 7PM (midday TX time?) and I'm planning on having a few hours with my guitar this evening.

Cool, I'll probably be able to work something out and it'll definitely be a fun challenge. I have a meeting this afternoon but I should be home by 7PM (midday TX time?) and I'm planning on having a few hours with my guitar this evening.

I'll plop it out with some canned drums and sims. Lol.

I know, but I also know you're taking the piss out of my shit drums!

Lol. No I'm not. I'm saying that I can plop a canned, unchanging 4/4 beat into Reaper faster than doing real drums. For this purpose, canned dumb drums and sims are fine.

I really do need to get a drummer sorted once I've got my tone sorted though

Picks. They feel very fast for lead playing. I'm too aggressive when playing rhythm and keep dropping them

Was playing with these picks again last night just 'cos they're the first ones that came to hand.... I now can't play with anything else. My usual pick feels completely floppy, slippery and shit in my fingers and I find that it sounds much duller.

Aside from the fact that they seem be environmental terrorists I would recommend Iron Age Guitar Accessories if you a) like hard picks that really slide across the strings but that you can also get a good grip on, and b) fancy something a bit usual.

And mother earth weeps.
I suppose I should ask Iron Age what animal the horn comes from and make sure its on the LC list.

I've emailed Iron Age to ask then where the horn comes from... but they're from Austin, Texas so probably don't give a shit.

I suppose I should ask Iron Age what animal the horn comes from and make sure its on the LC list.

I've emailed Iron Age to ask then where the horn comes from... but they're from Austin, Texas so probably don't give a shit.
That all depends... Austin isn't exactly the same as the rest of Texas; there my be quite a few more people there that actually think about those types of things than there are in the rest of the state. YMMV, we'll see what they have to say.

I'm stuck on some Tusq picks lately, my go-to is 1mm thick. Was using Dunlop gator grip 1.2mm before that but the Tusq picks just play "easier". I've got some other sizes in the Tusq range that I haven't tried out yet but these 1mm are stiffer than a 1.2mm gator grip and seem to glide with just the right amount of attack.

Back