The Surface - alternative

hmmmm.. i've loved everything i've heard from you, but , this one, somethings not quite right. first off ,sounds a little muddy and over done. good song , great vocals, but theres something happening in the lower frequencies that just don't sound as punchy and crisp as your other recordings. i'd suggest you strip it down and try a remix . but as always , i look forward to anything you release.

hmmmm.. i've loved everything i've heard from you, but , this one, somethings not quite right. first off ,sounds a little muddy and over done. good song , great vocals, but theres something happening in the lower frequencies that just don't sound as punchy and crisp as your other recordings. i'd suggest you strip it down and try a remix . but as always , i look forward to anything you release.

Nah. Drums are plenty punchy. Just about right, for me. Thanks for the listen though. :)

Taras, Dude you are killing it. You inspire me to record with hopes of getting to your quality level someday. Love your songs and the style you're coming from!

Taras, Dude you are killing it. You inspire me to record with hopes of getting to your quality level someday. Love your songs and the style you're coming from!

Hey thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. That means a lot, thanks again

I have to agree with sparky, the snare in particular is lacking "something".

I like what you do with your vocals, though.

Really cool song, I think the mix sounds awesome. Some of the cymbals seem to stand out a bit but I love how the rest of the drums fit in. It does seem like you struggled a bit on the vocals in some spots, but overall I think they sound great. I'm hearing "scratching" as the wrong note.. I'm expecting the same notes as "surface" that follows right after.

On the last line of the chorus, I like how the first chorus was short with "er"-"here". Then in the 2nd you spaced it a bit more and gave 2 beats to "cold" and 2 to "er" and started "here" on the first beat of the next bar. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I feel like the last chorus would have had even more power if you sang unfading a little longer, took out the space after "the shade is" and spaced the words out evenly across the chorus, again starting "here" on the first beat of the next bar. Might sound better in my head than it does in reality though.

Unfading... the shade is... cold. er. here
Unfading... the shade is... cold-er here
Unfadingggg... the shade is cold-er here

I'm hearing "scratching" as the wrong note.. I'm expecting the same notes as "surface" that follows right after.

Yeah, that's intentional. It's not "wrong", it's in key, just not the note you're expecting. It was originally the same as "surface" but I didn't like it as such, so I tried down one half tone and that hit the spot. It really makes the chorus, in my opinion, and gives it a certain touch that I liked. I tried having both "scratching" and "surface" hit the same lower note, but that didn't sound as good to me. So I compromised - um, with myself. :) Trust me, it sounds better this way. Too predictable the other way, to my ears.

The last lines had to take into account the first measure of the next bar, thus "here" is delayed during the second verse, as to fit in on time with the bridge that is starting. The bridge starts more laid back, so I wanted the "here" lyric to slow down. The first and last verses are intentionally rushed to give the song a pick-up in terms of perceived pace, especially because the rhythm sections pick it up after both 1st and 3rd verses. Again, all intentional.

Thanks for the listen and comment. :guitar:

I would agree to an earlier comment, the only thing I am not a fan of is the snare. It lack some body that the song seems to deserve. But what the hell do I know...

Great stuff as usual man! Props bro!

:)

Back