2" 16 track advice on brands

this is a great thread to read before going to bed, so you can dream about owning these tape machines....

I didn't even know new machines were still being manufactured. I mean, i thought studer was the only one. who else is still making new machines besides studer?

Ding Dong said:
I didn't even know new machines were still being manufactured. I mean, i thought studer was the only one. who else is still making new machines besides studer?

Actually, strictly speaking, open reel multitracks are not being made. Studer ceased all production years ago and is only selling off the remaining 827's. Otari can make you a 4 track, 1/2" but it's not in production, unless you special order it. I'm not aware of any other places, unless you're talking restored Ampex ATR recorders, from ATR Services.

FALKEN said:
I've got an Otari MX5050III-4 and it frigging rocks. the heads are worn as hell but it still sounds good. I just picked up an OtariMX5050III-8 and the heads are almost perfect. We are going to attempt to record our LP next week and I am torn as to which one to use. The tracks we've done on the 4 sound amazing, but the ability to adjust the kick and the overhead in the mix would be very beneficial. Theres only so much you can do with eq. I think if I see an 8-track mx-70 available at any point I am going to snatch it up.

In case you're interested in the older machines, a buddy of mine lives in the KC area and probably still has his Otari 7308. He had his own studio, worked in some big time studios and now teaches digital and analog electronics at DeVry. He is a consummate studio pro and master of tweaking audio to perfection. Last time I talked to him, he wanted about $3500 for the whole setup, but wasn't in any hurry to sell. Kinda steep, but it is probably a better performing machine than a new one.

Cheers,

Otto

Speaking of new Otari 4 tracks, they're not $9000, but more like $6000. Here for example-

http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/ANALOG-RECORDERS-TAPE-SUPPLIES-C415.aspx

I've sent business to these guys over the years and called them to ask if they're actually getting much traffic on the 4 track machines. They say the current back order time is due to demand rather than the case of limited production at Japan. Trycho says they're moving 6-10 machines a month, split about evenly between the 2 and 4 tracks. When you think about it, that's a lot of new machines. I also asked them about tape (their prices seem high) and they said they pretty much match any deal and actually give tape away with machine purchases. I have a room full of tape and probably won't need more in this century, but it's useful info to have.

As mentioned by other folks here, when considering a machine, I'd go for a new one, considering there actually are new ones to be had. At a $15k budget, I'd do as mentioned by someone else, and scrape another $4k together to get one of the remaining Studers. It's certainly nagging at me right now. On the other hand, for a $5k budget, I'd definitely grab a new 4 track if I had no machine.

BRDTS!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: OH MY GOD!! :D :D :D

Thanks so much for the link and info!! I can't believe it it!! They're selling 6 - 10 machines a month! Holly crap! That's more proof that analog is here to stay!

One thing though, I was told, direct from Otari Japan, that the MX5050 MKIV-4 is a 1/2" 4 track and NOT 1/4" or perhaps it was in a different configuration ? I'll have to email trycho.com and ask.

$5,895.00 is actually not a bad price at all, especially for what you are getting.

Actually, let me paste this from the link above. It's too good to pass up:

TRYCHOADVICE- At the time of this writing (second quarter 2007), this Otari model has become so popular that we currently have a 3-4 month waiting list for delivery from the factory. Contact us early if you wish to reserve your brand new machine. And as to why this Otari recorder is so popular ....

If you're looking for a fantastic NEW four track, four channel analog recorder for your studio, check out the Otari MX5050 MKIV-4. Whether you use the machine for capturing artistic ideas or as means for recording analog tracks in conjunction with your digital audio workstation, this is the machine that'll get you where you want to go! Completely professional. No compromises.

As you undoubtedly know, there's a magic sound associated with professional analog recordings. As you probably also know, there are only one or two production analog recorders still being manufactured on the planet. Add the Otari MX5050 MKIV-4 recorder to your daw or tape based recording system and be prepared to smile for the next ten, twenty, or thirty years!

We've been selling and installing analog recorders for studios since the mid 70's and Otari has been there since the beginning. Otari analog recorders perform exquisitely, are built like tanks, and are made to last. And because these models are new, they will give you all the professional warmth, reliability, and full response that only a new machine can provide.

We'll take a wild guess here about your travels so far towards analog-nirvana. If you're like many of our customers, you've previously invested in one or more used, online-auction type recorders at bargain basement prices. You know the type of machine we're talking about...recorders that are of dubious quality and had 135 owners before you. The prevailing comment we get from our customers who finally step up to a new Otari machine is the very noticeable, quantum leap in recorded quality and reliability that comes from using a brand new recorder.

An investment in a machine of this high caliber is truly a long-term investment in your art.

When you buy your new Otari machine from Trycho, we pick up the freight charge to anywhere in the continental U.S. Additionally, when you purchase your new analog recorder from us and also include a purchase of at least four reels of blank tape, we will set up and bias your new machine for the tape formulation you've chosen. At no extra charge! Give us a call at 1-800-543-8988 for more details.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTARI MX5050 MKIV-4
Analog four track, four channel studio recorder.... Magic!

The MX5050 series has long been the standard in 1/4" analog recorders. The MX5050 MIV-4 four track, four channel model features an optimized three-head design and transformerless balanced inputs and outputs to provide superior frequency response, low distortion and high signal-to-noise performance under the most demanding conditions.

The direct drive capstan motor is servo-controlled, and an integral microprocessor governs tape handling, including dynamic braking, motion sensing and transport logic. A built-in mini-autolocator provides three one-touch cue-point memories, search zero, and a repeat function. The tape timer display shows tape time in Hrs/Min/Sec., as well as tape speed in inches per second and percentage of tape speed. Capstan speed can be varied by +/-20% in 0.01% steps using the built-in "pitch" control. The extremely rugged mechanical construction includes a 1/4" deckplate with cast aluminum side panels and steel support members. All circuit boards are designed to swing out or unplug for quick service access.

More TrychoAdvice - Specs on the MX5050 MKIV-4 are similar to the MX5050BIII half-track recorders shown on our main Otari page. As to what these 4-track machines look like, we don't yet have the current factory artwork but what we DO have is a picture of the MKIV series 8-track recorder that was in production a few years back (now discontinued). We're providing a picture of that model below so that you can get an idea of the MKIV layout. Just imagine 4 meters on the overbridge instead of the 8 shown. We realize that the first question many will ask is "well, is there gonna be a new analog 8-track machine coming like in the picture below?" To that we smile and say, "you just never know".

Source: http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/b...r-Track-Analog-Recorderfontb--P10063C415.aspx

Last edited:
In fact, Otari sent me pdf brochures and also an order form. I heavily edited those and attached it below. Seems highly unlikely that trycho.com has a differently configured model of the same recorder. I believe trycho.com has a typo in the description and it's actually a 1/2", 4 track and not 1/4". If this is so then 6K is a great deal.

Attachments

• otari.jpg
    otari.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 55
Ok, either they already read my email and corrected the mistake, at least in their time description or I'm seeing things .... Anyway, IT IS the 1/2" 4 track model as I predicted. Waahooo!! That's a whole 3K less than what I was quoted from Otari Japan. I wonder why the huge price difference..? :confused:

Yup, that confirms it. Prior to emailing them (damn they're fast), the above was the original print ad description (along with an incorrect track width info title) and it took them absolutely no time to make the neccessary corrections. Here's how it looks (and reads) now:

TRYCHOADVICE- At the time of this writing (second quarter 2007), this Otari model has become so popular that we currently have a 3-4 month waiting list for delivery from the factory. Contact us early if you wish to reserve your brand new machine. And as to why this Otari recorder is so popular ....

If you're looking for a fantastic NEW four track, four channel analog recorder for your studio, check out the Otari MX5050 MKIV-4. This truly professional machine offers 4 track recording on half-inch tape. The half inch based transport design provides pro-standard wide track widths that assure stunning full fidelity, wide dynamic range, and a stellar analog signal.

Whether you use the machine for capturing artistic ideas or as means for recording analog tracks in conjunction with your digital audio workstation, this is the machine that'll get you where you want to go! Completely professional. No compromises.

As you undoubtedly know, there's a magic sound associated with professional analog recordings. As you probably also know, there are only one or two production analog recorders still being manufactured on the planet. Add the Otari MX5050 MKIV-4 recorder to your daw or tape based recording system and be prepared to smile for the next ten, twenty, or thirty years!

We've been selling and installing analog recorders for studios since the mid 70's and Otari has been there since the beginning. Otari analog recorders perform exquisitely, are built like tanks, and are made to last. And because these models are new, they will give you all the professional warmth, reliability, and full response that only a new machine can provide.

We'll take a wild guess here about your travels so far towards analog-nirvana. If you're like many of our customers, you've previously invested in one or more used, online-auction type recorders at bargain basement prices. You know the type of machine we're talking about...recorders that are of dubious quality and had 135 owners before you. The prevailing comment we get from our customers who finally step up to a new Otari machine is the very noticeable, quantum leap in recorded quality and reliability that comes from using a brand new recorder.

An investment in a machine of this high caliber is truly a long-term investment in your art.

When you buy your new Otari machine from Trycho, we pick up the freight charge to anywhere in the continental U.S. Additionally, when you purchase your new analog recorder from us and also include a purchase of at least four reels of blank tape, we will set up and bias your new machine for the tape formulation you've chosen. At no extra charge! Give us a call at 1-800-543-8988 for more details.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTARI MX5050 MKIV-4
Analog four track, four channel studio recorder.... Magic!

The MX5050 series has long represented the highest standard in analog recorders. The MX5050 MIV-4 four track, four channel model features a four-track design operating on half-inch tape. Truly professional! The machine includes an optimized three-head design and transformerless balanced inputs and outputs to provide superior frequency response, low distortion and high signal-to-noise performance under the most demanding conditions.

The direct drive capstan motor is servo-controlled, and an integral microprocessor governs tape handling, including dynamic braking, motion sensing and transport logic. A built-in mini-autolocator provides three one-touch cue-point memories, search zero, and a repeat function. The tape timer display shows tape time in Hrs/Min/Sec., as well as tape speed in inches per second and percentage of tape speed. Capstan speed can be varied by +/-20% in 0.01% steps using the built-in "pitch" control. The extremely rugged mechanical construction includes a 1/4" deckplate with cast aluminum side panels and steel support members. All circuit boards are designed to swing out or unplug for quick service access.

More TrychoAdvice - Specs on the MX5050 MKIV-4 are similar to the MX5050BIII half-track recorders shown on our main Otari page. As to what these 4-track machines look like, we don't yet have the current factory artwork but what we DO have is a picture of the MKIV series 8-track recorder that was in production a few years back (now discontinued). We're providing a picture of that model below so that you can get an idea of the MKIV layout. Just imagine 4 meters on the overbridge instead of the 8 shown. We realize that the first question many will ask is "well, is there gonna be a new analog 8-track machine coming like in the picture below?" To that we smile and say, "you just never know".

Source: http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/b...r-Track-Analog-Recorderfontb--P10063C415.aspx

Attachments

• mx.jpg
    mx.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 48
Flangerhans said:
Searching for information on these is a nightmare here, so I'm going to ask directly. My ambition since teenhood has been to use and own a wide format multitrack tape recorder, and the money is slowly coming together for one. I know I'll be wanting a 2" machine, with 16 track heads, XLR inputs, pro levels, VU meters with needles, and good flat response from 20-20K. Probably be running it at 15 ips, on EMG 911, no NR. Got a very open mind here, planning on 10-15K for a good used machine, but this will be my permanent lovechild, so higher quality is worth a little extra saving up. What would your recommendation be?

About 2" machines. I have a Studer 827 (sold last month) and an MCI JH 24 24 track. The MCI sounds better to me and is repairable in the future because there are no parts that can't be bought/made in the whole machine (VERY INPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND). Studers in general have plenty of eproms and those are a serious problem. The Studers that are dying today are parted out for this reason alone. I sold mine to fund rebuilding to like new my MCI and possibly buying another spare machine. Be carefull of any wierd proprietary parts that are irreplacable today and you will find a nice machine.

MCI2424 said:
Studers in general have plenty of eproms and those are a serious problem. The Studers that are dying today are parted out for this reason alone. I sold mine to fund rebuilding to like new my MCI and possibly buying another spare machine. Be carefull of any wierd proprietary parts that are irreplacable today and you will find a nice machine.

Much appreciate the info. I am starting to lean toward the Ampex machines, although a good one is hard to find, and MCI is looking better and better as well. I'd really like to find a machine transport that tends towards the mechanical rather than the electronic, due to the concerns above.
Such research as I have done puts a nice MCI with matching console in the 8-10K range, which is just about where I thought I was for a tape machine alone. Ampex may well be about there, for a well-cared for and damn near bulletproof model. I'll get back to this board on Tuesday, when I am back in town to update this search.

MCI2424 said:
The MCI sounds better to me and is repairable in the future because there are no parts that can't be bought/made in the whole machine.

Oh my god, I want one too now. What's the control system based on, 7400 logic?

jpmorris said:
Oh my god, I want one too now. What's the control system based on, 7400 logic?

Yep. Every damn component on the entire machine is relaceable today with the exception of 1 single IC that I can't find new. That is a hell of a record as the Studers have plenty of parts that will kill the whole machine. I opted to sell mine and work with the MCIs as they have made as many albums as Studers and either is mere preference at this point.

One cool point is that as an engineer at a large company, I order electronic components from suppliers as "evaluation" parts and they send me up to 5 for free. I have a good stockpile of bagged replacement parts. I am still re-capping this machine and will be done this summer.

MCI2424 said:
Yep. Every damn component on the entire machine is relaceable today with the exception of 1 single IC that I can't find new. That is a hell of a record as the Studers have plenty of parts that will kill the whole machine. I opted to sell mine and work with the MCIs as they have made as many albums as Studers and either is mere preference at this point.

Yep. This is one reason why I said that if I was starting from scratch, I'd be looking to buy MCI machines. I'm way too far down the 3M road to abandon that knowledge (and parts and machines) but I recognize that there is more MCI stuff and you can do great recordings on that gear.

Cheers,

Otto

Back