Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

JeffLancaster

My pc keyboard is getting kind of worn out and needs to be replaced. I was considering getting a wireless keyboard and mouse to help cut down on cable clutter, but was wondering if they might cause any issues with RF noise/interference in my audio gear. Anyone using an RF keyboard and/or mouse in a Studio environment or otherwise have any comments on this?

JeffLancaster said:
My pc keyboard is getting kind of worn out and needs to be replaced. I was considering getting a wireless keyboard and mouse to help cut down on cable clutter, but was wondering if they might cause any issues with RF noise/interference in my audio gear. Anyone using an RF keyboard and/or mouse in a Studio environment or otherwise have any comments on this?

Yes. No problems. Apple wireless keyboard/mouse (bluetooth)---works wonderfully.

Kensington wireless trackball---totally junk hardware. The rubber feet fell off the first day Kensington suggested taking it back. I did, but only because it had weird problems with it not working unless I plugged it in after booting. Second one had the same problem, but I found that it worked correctly if I plugged the receiver into my keyboard instead of directly to the back of the machine. Oh, and the rubber feet on the second one also fell off within the first 24 hours.

It's a few months old now, and the range keeps getting worse. At this point, it's unreliable at two feet from the receiver pod. Frankly, I'd buy a Nady wireless trackball before I'd ever buy another Kensington wireless product. I feel really ripped off.

Word to the wise: buy bluetooth. The other wireless mouse/keyboard devices don't handle electrically noisy environments well, and by electrically noisy, I mean "within five feet of any LCD monitor".

Thanks for the feedback guys. As per your suggestions, I just checked out a couple bluetooth models, however it looks like they only have ones where the reciever hooks into a USB port. I run my keyboard and mouse through a KVM switch to operate multiple PCs and so I need to have PS2 connections (or get a different KVM, which I'm not ready to do yet). I was just looking at this model, which seems like a great price for a reputable brand. However, I'm concerned about the rf issues with LCD's mentioned above. I currently have a 17" CRT but hope to upgrade to a pair of LCDs as soon as I can. dgatwood, do you think I'd have a prolem with this model? Anyone else have any input? Thanks!

JeffLancaster said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. As per your suggestions, I just checked out a couple bluetooth models, however it looks like they only have ones where the reciever hooks into a USB port. I run my keyboard and mouse through a KVM switch to operate multiple PCs and so I need to have PS2 connections (or get a different KVM, which I'm not ready to do yet). I was just looking at this model, which seems like a great price for a reputable brand. However, I'm concerned about the rf issues with LCD's mentioned above. I currently have a 17" CRT but hope to upgrade to a pair of LCDs as soon as I can. dgatwood, do you think I'd have a prolem with this model? Anyone else have any input? Thanks!

My Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse are USB but come with converters to use them via PS2 connections. Just FYI.

Myriad_Rocker said:
My Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse are USB but come with converters to use them via PS2 connections. Just FYI.

Cool, which model? Do you know if they're a bluetooth type or not? And any issues at all with rf interference, either with your monitor(s) or with any audio gear?

I'm running the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo and show no ill effects, I'm also running a wireless network 2 PCs, 2 laptops and a handheld and streaming the FM signal from my XM Sat. Radio into an FM Receiver in my PC with no ill effects as well. 2 cell phones on the table and a cordless phone, nothing yet.

I've been using Logitech Wireless RF keyboards and mice for 7 years now and have never once had interference issues.

Back