What acoustic guitar record best ?

What acoustic guitars record best for you?

• Olson

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Lowden

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Gibson

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Alvarez

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Takamini

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Ovation

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Fender

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Guild

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 34 16.9%

• Total voters
I think my yamaha with a laminate top records very well and fits into mixes easily. i have played all kinds of acoustics from custom built to korean mass produced and when you find a good sounding guitar... you have a good sounding guitar. it doesn't matter what brand it is. unless it's an ovation. friends don't let friends buy tupperware.

resurrected thread

I was just talking about this poll last week in another thread. I thought Yamaha was up near the top.

I had forgotten about the posts I made in it. I guess I've seen the "Light". The c1000s was not the best choice for recording acoustic guitar. At the time I didn't like what Light had to say but he was right, as usual. To all of you who share your experience and expertise with the rest of us, Thanks!

ive got a 1965 gibson LG-o model and i freakin love its sound. Its crisp, and you can hear the lil odds and ends when playing like the fingers on the fret board. I love it.

Definition of irony...the boomiest and most problematic brand to record is way out in front....Yamaha is second though...they seem to be the tone champs.

Go to YouTube and search on solo fingerstyle guitar. Admittedly I'm a fingerstyle nut but listen to several of these folks and you'll see the variety of excellent acoustic guitars, most of which will record great. For recorded strumming it's hard to beat the Martin D28 and Gibson J45 & SJ200.

my buddy has an ovation that sounds pretty good with some of his cool recordings. I have a martin it is hands down my favorite sounding acoustic off all time. I have a babicz even though it was not in the voting choices, and it has a very pure and bright sound (think pinball wizard from the who). the martin has more of a warm tone. when it comes to a ovation vs the babicz I really prefer the babicz, it's a little less thin sounding. However, sound is very subjective so it really depends on one's needs.

It relies much more on the method of recording than the actual instrument that will have the final outcome of the sound quality of the recorded instrument
IOW a 2 thousand dollar guitar can sound like crap if it is not correctly recorded as well as a 200 dollar guitar can sound awesome if correctly recorded.

well acording to this guy..I guess yeah..martin...LOL..but then again, it turns out he does`nt own any guitar in which he said was best, and how everyone else must be out of their minds for not picking..WTF..LOL
Bewteen the above (below), and the fact that an ovation is leading the poll...this thread is pretty much a wash with very little credibility....LOL

Anyone who didn't answer with either Martin, Gibson, or Taylor, is out of thier minds! All of your Yamaha's, Charvels, etc. are very nice guitars im sure but, your absolutly kidding yourself if you sit there and blow smoke about your cheap acoustic's when the answer to the original poll is Martin.

I own a Martin that I can't get a good recording with, no matter how I mic it.
It sounds great to my ear but the mic (AKG C1000S) is not kind to it. Arrrg!
Suggestions?

Hey Ch2os7,

Try a large condencer instead of a small.
Also try setting up a couple of mics at different distances away from the guitar?
Play around with it, you'll find something that sounds good!
Hey

I have a takimine and it records like a regular electric guitar via cable but through mic you can get some niceish tones. Not enough warmth for me but with enough eq'ing you can normally get most guitars to sound okay. A good mic will probably be the main key player instead of the guitar

Back