What acoustic guitar record best ?

What acoustic guitars record best for you?

• Olson

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Lowden

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Gibson

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Alvarez

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Takamini

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Ovation

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Fender

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Guild

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 34 16.9%

• Total voters
I've only recorded a few different acoustics, but I'll list them below in order of my opinion of their miced acoustic sound, best to worst.

Yamaha

Takamine

Fender

Ovation

Charvel

Of course any of the above may have been a 'Dud' and therefore not represent the sound of the company's whole line.

I mic'd and went direct using my Yamaha ... both worked well. If you like the "acoustic" sound, mic it!

Classical guitar ... sigh ... it's hard to record a good line. :(

GOOD LORD MAN!

You can't put Olson guitars with those others. It's like comparing a handbuilt Ferrari to a Ford. :)

H2H

H2H,

I never heard an Olsen before but Ill take your word that it sounds great....

but, an acoustic guitar that is just so sweet sounding that it could make you cry isnt always the easiest or best to track....

vox-

Where was Martin, Taylor, and Gibson on your list ? They are the three brands that are recorded most often in pro studios.

Wide Awake, although I have done sessions in 'Pro' studios I haven't actually worked full time in one. I apprenticed in a small 'Semi - Pro' studio for a couple years doing some bands but mainly Jingles and Voice over type stuff, and now I do mainly live sound.
I am only now putting together my own PC based recording rig.

The above lists all the acoustics I have had the opportunity to record, I haven't done a 'real' acoustic player, mainly rock guys who wanted acoustic for a ballad or to fill out a mix.

So while you are probably right about the Taylors, Martins and Gibsons being the most common, I haven't come across them.
I have only recorded maybe a dozen different acoustics and about 4 were Yamahas, plus the studio owned a Yamaha and a Takamine (sp?).

I have a Washburn DM2000SCE and a Simon & Patrick cedar. I can't comment on the mic'ed quality of others as these are the only ones I've ever recorded. However, my experience with the Washburn is that it's better to mic than go in directly (Equis pre). The S & P doesn't have a pickup.

Funny

With all the posts about Yamaha, the poll only reflects one vote as such (mine). Hmmm...

Me

Sorry to throw a wrench into the discussion, but it's a little like asking whether classical music is better or worse than western swing.

Brands don't determine whether a guitar will record well - designs and materials do. One of the bugaboos for recording is an imbalanced instrument. Mid-size acoustic guitars tend to do better in that regard because they tend to have a more balance response across the frequency range. Contexts of musical style, player's style, and purpose of the recording will affect the result as well.

Some of the small body guitars made of mahogany sound great!!You should try an old model Gibson,like an LGO,LG1,or LG2.They have plenty of good high end,and great mids.Remember,Ian Anderson of Tull always played that small body vintage Martin.I do sessions from time to time with a producer who could use anything (he owns a Martin),but uses an old LG1,and it smokes! I just bought one to rebuild for $20,and believe me,they are still out there.These guitars are good for a complete mix,where you don't need all that boomy bass that you are going to have to roll off anyway.:cool:

I brag about it often. My Martin D1 is the best sounding acoustic I have ever played. It doesn't sound like other D1's and blew away all the other Martins and Taylor's I've played.

If you want to hear what it sounds like, buy my CD. Send payment to.................LOL.

I have used three to different guitars.

Yamaha

Martin

Ovation

The I really like the Yamaha and the Martin but the Ovation sounded awful.

best acoustic

I am a newbie but,
The sweetest sounding guitar I have ever had the pleasure to play is a 1968 000-18 Martin.
I am custodian to the instrument at the moment.
I wish I could afford to buy it from the owner though.
Sweeter than honey :)

Back