What acoustic guitar record best ?

What acoustic guitars record best for you?

• Olson

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Lowden

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Gibson

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Alvarez

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Takamini

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Ovation

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Fender

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Guild

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 34 16.9%

• Total voters
Seems McCartney recorded "Yesterday" on a Epiphone Texan, a fairly inexpensive guitar..

I've gotton great results with an Alvarez DY67 & DY61, both cedar tops, both great sounding.

Yasuma's can be had for very little money..., solid Indian Rosewood back & sides and solid spruce top, best sleeper on the market and will record as well as any guitar in the $1000+ range.

3 acoustics

I own a Gibson j45 that records real nice.

I own a Takamine that is decent.

I own a Martin that I can't get a good recording with, no matter how I mic it.
It sounds great to my ear but the mic (AKG C1000S) is not kind to it. Arrrg!
Suggestions?

It looks like Martins are way ahead in the poll.

My buddy has a Yamaha that plays and sounds so good, I've tried to buy it. He sold me the Martin but won't part with the Yamaha. What's that all about?

Last edited:
ch2os7 said:
It sounds great to my ear but the mic (AKG C1000S) is not kind to it. Arrrg!

Suggestions?

A decent mic.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

ch2os7 said:
My buddy has a Yamaha that plays and sounds so good, I've tried to buy it. He sold me the Martin but won't part with the Yamaha. What's that all about?

I have a 1977 Yamaha FG-335 that I bought brand new back in '77 that I would never part with, either.

Old Yamaha's aren't just great sounding acoustics... they're magical. :)

Yamaha was building phenomenal acoustic guitars back in the 70's. If you can find an old FG-160 or FG-180 in nice condition, buy it. They can be bought for under $300 on Ebay and they sound just as good as any old Martin that costs 10 times the price.

Taylor....that's it, one word. Where is it? Oh yeah.. not on the list. Come'on man, your leaving me out of the loop. I guess if I had to pick one, my Takamine is my fav.

cute

Light said:
A decent mic.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

thanks for the help?
c'mon that mic records the other acoustics just fine! suggestions?

Last edited:
I have a couple of C-1000s and while they do have uses, recording ANY acoustic instrument isn't one of them. Martin Dreadnaughts are problematic to record as they can tend to "woof out" a mic. I like AT 4033's on them. A KM-184 is decent too.

thanks

Track Rat said:
I have a couple of C-1000s and while they do have uses, recording ANY acoustic instrument isn't one of them. Martin Dreadnaughts are problematic to record as they can tend to "woof out" a mic. I like AT 4033's on them. A KM-184 is decent too.

I appreciate the "helpful" input. Tell me, what is the C 1000s best suited for? I don't care for it on vocals. AKG promotes it as good for micing acoustic instruments. I guess it's dangerous to believe the manfacturer's promo. huh?
I don't claim to be an expert or even to have a lot of knowledge about recording. That's why I come to this bbs, to get "good" advice.
I guess my problem with the Martin is that it's a little more boomy than the other acoustics. I just need to find the sweet spot for micing and use the right mic.

I like the AKGs on snare and toms. As an overhead they stink. They do pretty well in front of a guitar amp too. By the way, I have a couple of Matins and a Taylor.

Thanks again

Track Rat said:
I like the AKGs on snare and toms. As an overhead they stink. They do pretty well in front of a guitar amp too. By the way, I have a couple of Matins and a Taylor.

I'd like to buy a Taylor someday . I played one once that my friend just bought and the action was so effortless I couldn't believe it was an acoustic. Again, I appreciate the info.

no taylor? that's quite an incomplete list.

Personally, I prefer a high-dollar Martin, but the Taylors are right up there, just a bit brighter (on the models I've tried/owned).

the 2 guitars i like to record with most are a 1942 Favilla and corse my
45 gibson L-50 these two guitars have 2 complete differnt sounds and i love them both

Light said:
Jim is a close friend of my fathers, and I have played many of his guitars, as well as recording a few of them. They always sound good, period. He also (and this is more important) has some of the nicest workmanship of anybody building right now. Whether or not you like his guitars sound, you can not fault his work.

The idea of saying a particular builder’s guitar is best for recording is ridiculous. It completely misses most of the issues (if not all) involved in making a guitar sound good for recording. What kind of back and side wood, or top wood, would be a better question (Mahogany seems to work best for me. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking of mahogany as a "budget" wood, it is not). Also of importance is bracing pattern, though I think it is more a question of color than better or best (I have an amazing little ladder braced guitar I use a lot for leads, because it has a bright, punchy sound which cuts through my rather thick guitar arrangements very nicely). Asking about builders also doesn't take into account the size of the guitar (most builders make a number of sizes), the scale length (which I think makes a bigger difference than anybody in the luthier community really acknowledges), or plywood verses solid wood (solid always sounds better) or price range. I don't mean to be a prick, but it is really not a question that is helpful.

That being said, the best way to find the right guitar for you has never changed. Play a bunch of guitars until you find the one you like. The best part is, you get to spend your Saturdays at a guitar store playing. What could possibly be more fun than that?

And if you do decide to get one of Jim's (Olsen) guitars, good luck. His waiting list is two years, and his base price is $12,500. They are worth it, but it sure is a lot of money.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
You are right Olsen's guitars are a great product in both workmanship and incredible sound. I have never had the pleasure of owning one, but i have played two over the years. They had an amazing sound rich and full. I also agree that there is no question that all guitars will sound different so claiming that a gibson will record better than a taylor is sort of a stretch. one taylor may record much better than a certain gibson and vise versa. I could highly recomend Sands guitars for both st string and ny. both play well. www.sandsguitars.com

I have a Taylor 814ce that sounds great, but actually isn't the easiest acoustic to record for me. It can get boomy at times, and I always seem to spend a little more time micing it than I do other guitars, but when it's right, it's right.

In my experience the guitar that has recorded the best is a 1968 Gibson Dove that belongs to one of my friends. It's nice when you pick it up and play it, but it just comes alive when I mic it. I've tried over the shoulder, XY, vertical XY, NOS, and regular old mono micing...all sounded incredible, with relatively low effort.

I have a Yamaha in storage, and I haven't been able to record with it. I am stuck with a $50 cheapo until I get my sorry ass out of Japan... :mad:

What is it with people reviving dead threads? Do they search and reply without ever looking at the date of the last post? This thread had been dead for over 8 months.

Got me, a reply notification just showed up in my email so I decided to mention the Blueridge 180 that I'm very ghappy with at the moment..

It's a good thread.., no harm done with refreshing it at all..

Back