upgrade from Samson c01

Put simply, it's your built in soundcard and your mixer rolled into one.

The important bit though is that they are designed for recording. The drivers are usually written to allow for lower latency recording.
Plus, they're generally better quality than preamp or mixer into onboard sound.

can you recommend me some good usb interfaces? i hear the maudio ones are good... but i read about them through amazon and the ones within the 100-200 dollar price ranges have some reliability issues... are those cheap behringer ones any good?

All right then, Henry will be along in a minute to scream RE20!

How's that? ;)

Sorry, i fell asleep. oh, wait....

EV RE20

Sorry am late. :facepalm:

:D

Tbh, as steen said, the clip sounded pretty clean and i can easily imagine that with a bit of eq and compression it'd be perfectly acceptable :)

As i said, i had the CO1 as my main mic for a couple of years and, truth be told, even after buying more mic's i kept the CO1 and it still saw some use. i only sold it about 2 months ago as i had lent it too a friend for 2 years and seeing as he used it all the time
and i needed the money for new monitors it made sense to sell it to him. it wasn't the brightest or airiest sounding mic i've ever used but i found that it worked really well on either overly bright/thin sounding acoustic guitars as it had a nice "chunky" lower mid range or as a 2nd mic on any acoustic guitar aimed just below the bridge. I added the sE2200a for the same reasons you were saying; i wanted something brighter and more open sounding, but for the £40 i paid for the CO1 new it served me very well.

in terms of audio interfaces, the presonus audiobox and focusrite scarlet 2i2 or Saffire 6 usb are all great little boxes and usually get my vote.

Just some guy, Thanks for that. :)

OP...Make your soundcloud link downloadable. I'll show you what we're all talking about.

yeah i've been experimenting with reverb myself i just gotta to find the right balance between dry and wet options or whatever you call it lol

It can be helpful to set the wet/dry to 100% wet, get a sound that you like, then scale it back to <10% wet.

That way you can really hear what the reverb is doing before you scale it back.

Same with eq. If subtle changes are hard to hear, us a narrow q band and push it to the extremes to hear what it does.
When you find something you want to boost or cut, scale it back to a few dbs of boost or cut.

The bypass button is your friend to. It's good to keep tabs on where you started.

so after an hour of searching for latency fixes on the internet i found out my sound card supports asio... and now i have no latency at all :). So back to the mic question. do you think i can benefit from an upgrade? or would it still sound the same for the most part?

ASIO4ALL worked out?

I'd plug away with what you have. It's capable enough equipment, and you've got plenty of experimenting ahead of you.
Best of luck.

btw you think a shock mount would help?

when i lent my mate the CO1 two years before selling it to him i didn't know where the shockmount was (as a group of friends we share a lot of gear and things have a tendency of turning up months later in someone else's house). i finally found it and when he came round to give me the money i said "oh, i found the shockmount as well if you'd like it". his response "meh, i've used it for two years without it and i've not had any problems, but it'd be cool to have the set". As steen said, there's no handling noise or footfalls but if you can find one cheap they're also something worth having (it's a fairly standard size one, or at least the one i had also fitted an NT1a, sE2200a, Avantone CK7 and Apex 205)

got my self a focusrite scarlett 2i2! :) yepee i know its been a while but i got the hang of my mixer and made some pretty decent recordings but now i want proper recording gear! might upgrade the mic after though ill post some recordings with the 2i2 tomorrow and you guys can judge if ill benefit more from a mic upgrade

Lol I was just reading through this and I was going to recommend a scarlet for your applications. I've been able to get very workable sounds with the C01 in the past but their are also much better mics. I would add the Oktava 319 to the list. It is a high quality mic that can be purchased for under 100 dollars used. Not super airy sounding but I have heard they take EQ well.

Back