Tuning pegs

I know I'm a little out of step here, but with locking tuners, I can use less than a half turn of string to tune, while any conventional tuner is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 or so turns. I do find that with locking tuners and a pivot-style bridge that can drop the strings slack, I have better luck, all things being equal. I've assumed that even the minimal wrapping is enough to loosen, and then require resetting before it stabilizes.

The probelm with this, though, is it basically limits you to either staying tuned to pitch, or tuning up. Drop-D, DADGAD, or open G become almost impossible if all you have is a half wind to undo.

On a variax you can just switch to alternitive tunings electronically.

...and every time you strum a chord, you can hear the guitar ringing "acousticly" completely out of tune with the sounds coming out of your speaker.

I remember a review of that technology when the first Roland VG amp/guitar came out. They said the sound was convincing enough when you pulled up the "Jimi" patch, a modeled Strat into a modeled Marshall tuned a modeled half step down, but the problem was that not only was it kind of disconcerting to hear your guitar ringing out a half step higher than the sound coming out of your amp, trying to get a note to feed back was a nightmare because a fretted E on the G string, 9th fret was being amplified as an Eb, so there really wasn't a feedback loop to speak of.

Anyway, what exactly does a Variax have to do with the subject of tuning pegs? :confused:

Lets also not forget that when you loose the whammy so much that the strings go slack. They aren't really slipping on the post are they? No they are actually unwinding off the post through lack of tension and then stacking back on the post again.

Good point muttley well made and whats more that unique style of playing was never part of the OP's original poser was it?

No it wasn't so it isn't really relevant to the thread is it?

No it isn't. Maybe if some one started a thread about best set ups for dive bombing they could discuss that there?

Another good idea muttley you really are the "sharpest" tool on the bench and not just a tool after all.

Why thank you..

I seem to recall seeing robotic tuners in an ad somewhere,now those would be worth drilling out for.:)

Do you mean the self tuning guitar that Gibson paraded last year that has fallen from production at present until they iron out the teething problems and try and find a better reason as to why people might want one.:laughings:

Anyway, what exactly does a Variax have to do with the subject of tuning pegs? :confused:

Well other than the variax coming with a set of them...it seems that this has been solved electronically in those models...except for those of you with an amp that does not drown out the natural ringing of the strings...which till reading your post Id never have thought that would be an issue to anybody.

I was curious when I saw that les paul with the tuners...has anyone tried one and seen those tuners in action?

Back