The Fake Drums Tone Thread

Here's a file of real bass & guitar PLUS fake drums.

Fake Drums - Band In A Box + Real Player which is an add on that came with the box.
My wife bought me the program a couple of years ago & I didn't need it because I have a DAW and can play bass + a little guitar. I needed fill in drums one day so I thought I'd look in the box.
It has Midi drums as well as Real player drums but RP doesn't have as many options or speeds.
For this project I used an older drum track as a metronome and recorded a bass line.
I exported the bass line & BIAB imported it.
Since I was in there I used the chord feature so as the bass was imported BIAB scanned it and blocked in chords on a chart.
I clarified where the 1st bar started and checked that the chords & bars matched the audio tweaked a few bars and then sent the chords into BIAB properly. At this point in time I could've taken the option to midi map the tempo etc but didn't as I wanted Real player drums.
I opted to dump the audio bass file at this point as I didn't want anything to give me grief inside the prog.
I went through the chords and put markers in where the progression changed V C V M8 etc.
I then auditioned drums styles - there were only 8 that matched the tempo.
I auditioned them and then allowed it to play through the one that I thought best fit.
NOW, here's where the amazing thing happened...
I minimized BIAB & booted up Reaper.
Set a new track for drums reduced Reaper and pulled up BIAB. I selected PLUG IN in BIAB &them start PLUG IN at which point BIAB shrinks to a smaller dialogue box I pulled up Reaper again and BIAB hovered over the top.
I then clicked Drums on BIAB and dragged the cursor to the drum track.
BIAB & Reaper talked to each other for about 3 minutes and then a wav. file of the drum arrangement appeared - and this is important, in a single stereo track in Reaper.
I then Selected BIAB Plug In & turned that off & minimized in again until I needed to confirm, redo or close it.
From there all I did was drop a little compression on the drums.
DONE.
BIAB is really for people who can only sing or do very rudimentary instrument stuff (I can't sing) as it will generate full band backing with solos etc. I just use it for sketch drums.

Last edited:
I have to say that Ray is now the new fake drum king....Pretty much tied with Minerman who also has some pretty damn convincing ass drum tracks.

I think the tone sounds fine, but its the little human aspects that BIAB seems to add that make it really good. There are so many little things going on to add interest and variety. That's just a really cool tool, I might have to look into it to help me come up with drum parts.

I have to say that Ray is now the new fake drum king....Pretty much tied with Minerman who also has some pretty damn convincing ass drum tracks.
Thanks Rami, but I think Ray's track here sounds way more real than anything I've ever done. It's got that little element that no sample-based drum program can have, the nuances in the hits are there....

I think the tone sounds fine, but its the little human aspects that BIAB seems to add that make it really good. There are so many little things going on to add interest and variety. That's just a really cool tool, I might have to look into it to help me come up with drum parts.

Yeah, I think I may have to look into this myself....

I heard the last mix via my soundcloud notifcations in the jeep and i popped on to say i love the song ray. And now knowing that it is canned drumbs i am even more in love with the tune sir. great job. i haven't even heard of this band in a box thing and i might go read up on it a bit. the human margin of error is there in some of those fills and stuff. Really interesting stuffs.

Gents,
the drum track is what it is and was embarrassingly simple to create.
The drums in that track took, once I was inside the program, 15 minutes to generate.
Here's another track I used BIAB on as part of the sketching process:
early sketch version of drums and was quite some time ago. The original track was based on a wandering tempo drum machine so that caused a bit of havoc inside BIAB. I didn't do a very good job of it but it shows what can be done by a stuff up. Eventually Fat_Fleet added real drums to the track and I don't think I sent him a mix with anything other than the drum machine because I was a bit embarrassed by this job.
Shayne,
Thanks mate - you're very generous!

Gents, the drum track is what it is and was embarrassingly simple to create.
Your humbleness is only exceeded by your humility.

This message was brought to you by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy. :eek:

Rami,
I can justifiably brag that the tracks you, Greg & Erik played on are my best. The high quality of the playing and audio pushed me to do better with the rest of the track.
I was Chairman of Redundancy but they felt I was no longer necessary so the payments I was receiving for redundancy were replaced by a redundancy payment.

Ok, Ray. How much? £££

You reckon it could do hard rock/grunge as well as it did your punk track?

Cheers mate. This is definitely something I'll investigate.

Ray, your inbox is full too, mate.

Last edited:
Had a quick look a BIAB, & from what I can tell, it's just a stereo drum track being made as far as I can tell. There's no control over the room, bleed, individual instruments, etc...

While they do sound pretty damn good, guess I'll stick with what I've been using for now...

Had a quick look a BIAB, & from what I can tell, it's just a stereo drum track being made as far as I can tell. There's no control over the room, bleed, individual instruments, etc...

While they do sound pretty damn good, guess I'll stick with what I've been using for now...
Yeah, if you have no control, then that's limiting. If you need THAT drum sound, though, it's pretty damn good. But your drum tracks are great, so I'd stick with the program that gives you the most control.

Yeah, if you have no control, then that's limiting. If you need THAT drum sound, though, it's pretty damn good. But your drum tracks are great, so I'd stick with the program that gives you the most control.

Thanks for the compliment Rami, means a lot coming from a kick-ass drummer like you....

Those BIAB drums do sound good, but I'd want to be able to control at least the different instrument levels (kick, snare, etc)...

I need to take another step with my fake drums and from what ray has said this sounds easy.

Where the fuck is JDOD???? He installed EZ Drummer 2 a couple days ago, & I thought he'd have a bunch of questions about it....

Update of BandInABox drums in a mix.
The Keeper by Pygmy Beat Extended has BIAB RealDrums, (audio recordings of drum phrases stitched together itb), Bubba po does the voice stuff, Greg_L does the sharp string stuff & I do the fat string stuff.
The High Hat was a little too loud in the drum mix (a stereo file) but I EQed it enough to do for the time being. I also found that BIAB adds reverb by default but that it can be adjusted or turned off. I turned it off and added the same reverb the vocals & guitar have so that things sound like they are "in the same room".
A couple of weeks ago I spent about AUS$80 to buy a couple of sets of RealDrums so I have more variety to work with. Each drum set has 3 or 4 variations (different emphasis on hhat etc) that can be used or even changed to in the song structure.
How does this set sound in the mix?

Back