Pressing the G String too hard on my Les Paul

I don't understand how it could be the nut. I aint saying it can't be the nut, I just don't understand how it could be.

I don't understand how it could be the nut. I aint saying it can't be the nut, I just don't understand how it could be.
I agree ..... he's very clear that it goes sharp when he presses down hard and he makes no mention of the first fret.
If it's the nut , it would play sharp without needing to press down hard and the fist fret would be even worse and super obvious on the G string when you played an open E.

This sounds like a fret problem of some kind to me.

Hey IDO, have you tried using some graphite in the nut slots-it seems like the slot is binding and going sharp. I have used a solution of shaved pencil lead and petroleum jelly whenever I change strings and it works well to keep the strings in line.
Hope this will work for you....

Tony

I have played since 1977. Taught over 200 students. Play professionally. This is an inherent problem with Les Paul and SG. Because the string length is slightly shorter than Fender, the intonation is more delicate, therefore playing it in tune is harder. This is why time and time again I have seen novice players sell their LP's because they can't adjust the touch of how lightly you should press. All you can do is learn how to play with as light a touch as possible. Practice chording with soft pressure. If you still believe it is the guitar, the fret "apex" could be slightly altered so the string connects at a different point on the fret. You could try to adjust the saddle away from the pickups, that would increase string length but might not have any effect on the second fret. The "D" chord is always the culprit on a LP. Try lightening up the "grip" first and practice a soft touch.

I use sets with wound third strings on nearly all my guitars, solves a lot of problems and that string sounds much better than with the unwound third. That largest unwound string sounds strange anyway.

This seems like a good thread to post this in...

So of all the odds-n-ends I picked up over the holidays for my audio/music use....this rather inexpensive little tool has been a real smile. :)

I got it for only $5.91 w/free shipping through Newegg! :cool:
They cost 2-3 times as much elsewhere, plus you pay shipping.
It must come direct from China (though the distributor is out of California)...so it took like 10 days to get here, but worth it. Good quality stainless steel with clear/crisp markings.
I've used other types of rulers to do my guitar set-ups...but this thing is perfect for the job, and covers all the needed, useful settings.
Even if you don't do involved setups....it's great just for basic string height/pickup height adjustments.

String Action Ruler Gauge - Newegg.com

A1NV_130572357413289702lWiyMxTQCW.jpg

This seems like a good thread to post this in...

So of all the odds-n-ends I picked up over the holidays for my audio/music use....this rather inexpensive little tool has been a real smile. :)

I got it for only $5.91 w/free shipping through Newegg! :cool:
They cost 2-3 times as much elsewhere, plus you pay shipping.
It must come direct from China (though the distributor is out of California)...so it took like 10 days to get here, but worth it. Good quality stainless steel with clear/crisp markings.
I've used other types of rulers to do my guitar set-ups...but this thing is perfect for the job, and covers all the needed, useful settings.
Even if you don't do involved setups....it's great just for basic string height/pickup height adjustments.

String Action Ruler Gauge - Newegg.com

View attachment 91041
oooh!
Me likey!

It's funny, yesterday I was at the local music store and the owner said that a customer brought a guitar back for the exact same thing (G string going sharp when pressed hard at the 2nd fret).

He said he checked it out and it did in fact go sharp if pressed hard. He asked the dude if he wanted to trade it for something else and the guy said "yeah."

He told me that EVERY single guitar, in his store, did the same thing. He probably has 35 or 40 guitars in there.
LMAO

Maybe it's a matter of playing technique and all guitar can be made to go sharp when pressing the G string hard at the 2nd fret.?
I dunno...but it seems unlikely that every single guitar in a music store would have the exact same flaw when there are several different brands and models.

actually ..... I mentioned in my first post of this thread that ANY string will go sharp on ANY fret if pressed really hard ..... unless you have super tiny frets.
Check it out ...... hook your tuner up ..... tune any string at any fret while pressing gently .... then press hard ..... it will go sharp.

It may be more noticeable on the 2nd fret to some people because of where they may tend to play but the fact is, pressing hard makes strings go sharp regardless of where you're playing.

actually ..... I mentioned in my first post of this thread that ANY string will go sharp on ANY fret if pressed really hard ..... unless you have super tiny frets.
Check it out ...... hook your tuner up ..... tune any string at any fret while pressing gently .... then press hard ..... it will go sharp.

It may be more noticeable on the 2nd fret to some people because of where they may tend to play but the fact is, pressing hard makes strings go sharp regardless of where you're playing.

Yep. and the G and then the B are the worst culprits because they are operating at a higher level of material stress relative to the other strings. Seriously this stuff is not guitar mechanics 101..... People like you realized this years ago and adapted your playing and your ear. It's the only way...

I drove myself nuts with this a few months ago......There are usually 2 problems here....
1. Improper technique. You're pressing too hard. I do it too. Yo don't think you are.....but you are.
2. There can be a few non-technique culprits here, but it's usually the nut. When the nut slot isn't cut deep enough, there's too much string deflection and it causes the note to sharpen. This is worse nearer the attachment point (Nut or Bridge) because of tension dynamics.... The G string nut slot depth is more critical than the others because the G string is the longest, tightest, unwound string and therefore more sensitive to additional tension issues.

Google "G String is Sharp at 2nd Fret" and you'll find more posts, articles and other assorted info on the subject (It's quite common) than you will want, but you will see that most of the solutions involve filing the nut slot.

... the G string is the longest, tightest, unwound string and therefore more sensitive to additional tension issues.

While that may be the case...filing down the G string nut slot may at best solve one problem and create many others.

Look...if you're the type of guy who rarely plays beyond the first three frets, and who uses mostly open chords...there are all kinds of "compensation" options to help the tuning issues....*at the first three frets".
Some methods try and tackle the problem at the bridge end with "compensation" formulas...and they too at best only solve some problems at the expense of others.
I once called the Earvana compensated nut inventor and spoke with him for awhile, as I was interested in his product, but it just seemed to talk about the first three frets. When I pressed him about the tuning for the whole neck...he kinda mumbled that there's nothing that fixes everything for the whole neck. He was mostly concentrating on the 3-fret open string players, and for them, it might be a perfect solution.

It really comes down to how you play and where on the neck you like to play the most. If you use the whole thing, then the best fix is to make sure the guitar neck is set up as best as possible, and then do a more expanded intonation setup, like at several points up/down the neck rather than just the 12th fret, and then find the average best intonation that fits all points. I generally use 2 points 5th and 17th frets, and I find that setting them so they are equally in/out of tune from the desired note gives me the best in-tune playing for the whole neck since I play the whole neck.
That said....the bastard G string always has some minor problem...and it's best solved with playing technique once you've done the above, and know where to have a light touch, and where to play normally, and when to dig in a bit harder. Most players can adjust as they play simply be listening to the tuning and changing string position and pressure.

All that said....some guitars just have a tendency to sound sweeter and some more sour in the same neck/string positions...and I'm sure Muttley can better explain why that is, but it just is. Each guitar has a personality.

Sounds like a playing technique thing. I got into the habit of playing very lightly when I first got my Ibanez. Shallow profile, with massive frets. Your finger is nowhere near the board when you're fretting a note.

I wasn't referring to your explanation on tuning/intonation....
I meant you can better explain why every guitar is a bit different and some can be super sweet AFA tuning and others a little more work is required, even if they are all built equally well and to correct specs.

IOW, why guitars have individual personalities...and sometimes so woman-like in their daily behavior patterns! :)

Back