2008 Martin D28 - horrible resonances

Ok, this is interesting, but I still think it's likely strings/setup, maybe some technique, e.g., compensation learned playing on a very different instrument (playing .008s on electric) can really not work on something else, but that's a stretch.

I captured the 2 above, normalized and the only place something really sticks out (which is not quite what I hear) really suggests maybe bad setup/frets, too light strings? Who knows. The difference from the EQ'd one just shows a big difference in the area that is harmonics of open strings. Without hearing the single strings played hard, it's difficult to know what's going on exactly, but I'd be suspicious of just about anything without having the guitar in hand.

p.s. (edit) - the E is the E octave, the G is an octave above the 12th fret G, and the A is 2 octaves above the 12th fret A. (If I can do the arithmetic.)

p.p.s. (edit2) - stretching my google skills here, but this Am chord, with the open 4th of E and A is likely creating an implied 7th....

d27-11-14s-eqdvs.jpg

Last edited:
in microphone world the resonance might be called "nasal" or "honky". the point is do you spend more cash to make a expensive guitar sound good? as if it wasnt done right from the factory, seems to be part of the cost and expense and expected it to play and sound really good concept, perspective.

technique...is another thing. thats a good point.
I hammer chords and frets can buzz, but if Im gentle and light the fret buzz disappears....so setup I suppose can be technique related, which is why playing them before buying might help. so personal choice/ technique has a role , to buy a guitar already setup or pay some greenpaper to have it done...... and hope they do a good job, especially on an expensive guitar. recording can get funky in weird rooms or certain mics, mics can be moved a tiny bit and change shapes...

I never did , but seems a person could really go down deep into the rabbit hole on tweaking things to the "perfection".

the point is do you spend more cash to make a expensive guitar sound good? as if it wasnt done right from the factory, seems to be part of the cost and expense and expected it to play and sound really good concept, perspective.
Makes me wonder if expensive guitars are all they're cracked up to be.
My acoustics range from £180 for an Epiphone, to £400 for a Takamine.
The Epiphone is pretty damn good.

Makes me wonder if expensive guitars are all they're cracked up to be.
My acoustics range from £180 for an Epiphone, to £400 for a Takamine.
The Epiphone is pretty damn good.
Me too. I got one of the super cheap (free) Rogue guitars Guitar Center was giving away when you bought a 12 pack of D'addario strings, and much to my surprise, it sounds really good! I have a couple of Guild D-25's and I really like the way they sound, but the Rogue was a pleasant surprise.

Me too. I got one of the super cheap (free) Rogue guitars Guitar Center was giving away when you bought a 12 pack of D'addario strings, and much to my surprise, it sounds really good! I have a couple of Guild D-25's and I really like the way they sound, but the Rogue was a pleasant surprise.
Ditto with my Rogue. All I did was tweak the neck some. Sounds very good, it has all the low end my Taylor Big Baby lacks.

I think OP’s guitar has a setup or fret problem on looking over the graphs. The peaks that were EQd out are essentially the 12th, 15th and 17th fret notes of the first string. Now, the E and A might be natural overtones, as they show up in the earlier comparison against my old mahogany OM, but the G? It is actually in that first comparison (not on my guitar) but I overlooked it. The guitar’s own body resonance might be amplifying some overtones more than others, but I don’t see how a note that’s not being “played” (Am chord) is going to suddenly pop out at that high frequency when its lower octaves are not there.

I’ve seen weird things with guitars that had untrimmed string ends in coils, loose tuner buttons, other guitars hanging on the wall “humming along” but I suspect a high fret, and not the fact that it’s not a cheap guitar ;)

I hear it plain as day from the first clip posted, or at least what I think you're hearing. An overtone, especially during the Am chord. If it was a note, for comparison, it would be the E note played 5th fret second string, then during the G chord , briefly the G note 3rd fret 1st string. At least that is what I'm hearing. Definitely one of those things once you hear it you can't unhear it.

Shot in the dark...why not?....Take a bandana, a handkerchief, loosely tie it around the headstock just above the nut. Just enough to muffle/dampen the strings above the nut. You never know.

Mick, I've heard that before. I've got a DeArmond Starfire with a harp tailpiece. You definitely get some ringing of the strings from behind the bridge. I'm also wondering if it's possible to tap around on the top and back and find that exact tone. It could be that this particular guitar has got a hefty peak at that frequency just from the way the wood vibrates, just like a drum.

Back