omni-drum overhead?

thecuriouscouch

ok so i got the mxl recording pack which has the mxl 990 and 991. i have an AKG D200 on my snare and a sm58 in my kick, but im not relay shure weather i should just use the small condenser or larger one. ive tried both and the small one seemed better, but i think im just being a retard with the omni and im not getting a good eq. i was just wondering if anyone had a good idea or a good eq setting of the omni. :) thanks john

Yea ... you might try re-wording your initial post. It's a little hard to follow. First you're talking about having picked up a couple of Marshall mics ... then you're talking about what you already have -- something about an AKG and a 58. Next you're talking about omnis and EQ settings or something like that.

It's a little hard to follow. What is it you want to know? In English.

ok so i got the mxl recording pack which has the mxl 990 and 991. i have an AKG D200 on my snare and a sm58 in my kick, but im not relay shure weather i should just use the small condenser or larger one for an overhead. ive tried both, and the small one seemed better, but i think im just being a retard with the large mic and im not getting a good eq. i was just wondering if anyone had a good idea or a good eq setting for the large condenser.

thecuriouscouch said:
ok so i got the mxl recording pack which has the mxl 990 and 991. i have an AKG D200 on my snare and a sm58 in my kick, but im not relay shure weather i should just use the small condenser or larger one for an overhead. ive tried both, and the small one seemed better, but i think im just being a retard with the large mic and im not getting a good eq. i was just wondering if anyone had a good idea or a good eq setting for the large condenser.

The 990 and 991 are both small / medium diaphragm condensers that utilize the exact same capsule ... only the housing/body is different.

Use whichever one you like better. Or use both. Or use neither. There's no secret EQ preset that's going to make any mic sound better than the other. Just do your thing and get the best possible sound out of whichever one you decide to use -- I have faith in you. :D

thecuriouscouch said:
haha, thanks for the confidence. so why are there different houseings? what dose that do, what is the purpose?

It's mostly marketing. Pretty packaging. Make people think they're getting something they're not.

I beg to differ. The MXL 990 has a much larger diaphragm than the 991 that is being referenced to in the bundle pack and the same capsules are NOT used or "re-housed" between the two as both have their own unique characteristics. The 991 is for picking up the highs as in any normal condensor mic. I personally threw the 991 aside to collect dust as I'm not too impressed with it's sound. However, the 990 is considered a large diaphragm mic (considering the capsule is a bit smaller than most competitors at 25mm) yet it quickly proved a star performer and granted me a giant leap in the quality of audio I'd been capturing in my recording setup. I too have the same 990/991 "bargain pack" that I cannot say has been hyper-marketed by anything other than positive word of mouth (and example) and I say go 990 all the way. So far, I've been able to capture better audio with the 990 than a friend of mine has with a $1,000 neumann tlm 103.

ok

right, so i put the large mic over the set. i moved it around a bunch and tryed with and without a lot of eq, but i still think im missing somthing. my ride is great and so is my china but my hi-hat is distant and quiet? its not any closer or further away, but it just sounds weak. any ideas now?

fritzmusic said:
I beg to differ. The MXL 990 has a much larger diaphragm than the 991 that is being referenced to in the bundle pack and the same capsules are NOT used or "re-housed" between the two as both have their own unique characteristics.

This isn't a matter of opinion. They both use the same capsule as the mxl-603. Do some more research.

Back