Newbie to Drum Recording! Tom mics and overheads without breaking the bank?!

ntcros18

What's up all!

A drummer of 23 years, and brand new to recording my own drums. I'd really like to start being able to offer quality remote drum recordings as a means to make a little money. Equipment I have so far:

Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 Interface (came with Ableton Lite, so that's what I am using for DAW)
Shure SM57 (X2)
Shure Shure Beta52A Kick Mic

So far just to sort of get SOME of the basics (I keep finding I have 0 idea what I am doing), I stuck with these 3 going with a 57 on the snare as well as an overhead, and the Beta 52 on my kick, and working on 1 min or so drum covers that I toss up on my IG/TikTok. Obviously, in order to be able to produce quality recordings for people however, these won't be enough. I also know that a SM57 is not an industry standard overhead mic (planning to place that underneath the snare once I get some tom mics/OH mics).

Looking for suggestions for solid overhead mics as well as tom mics that won't break the bank (hoping to get some recommendations for each in the $200-$300 range....or less?). I rock a 4 piece, so just one rack tom and one floor tom.

Additionally, I'd be super game to check out some books/articles/workshops/videos on drum set EQing, as that is the area where I feel the MOST lost. It's one thing to place mics, hit the record button, and bang around for a few minutes. It's another thing entirely to know how to properly EQ and add reverb/compression/filters and alllllllll the things. Even with ableton lite (which I'm sure is missing a ton of the bells and whistles), I find myself completely overwhelmed. Any thoughts/suggestions/links on any of the things I mentioned would be super appreciated!

Thanks so much all!

Probably a shure or sennheiser mic set would be the best value - although you've already got a few mics. I like the Sennheiser 604s - but overheads really need condensers for the sparkle.

Probably a shure or sennheiser mic set would be the best value - although you've already got a few mics. I like the Sennheiser 604s - but overheads really need condensers for the sparkle.
The Sennheiser e604s have come up in my research a ton for tom mics!!! Those, as well as the Audio-Technica AT4040s for OHs. Those are the two that are coming up the most at least in terms of the money I am looking to spend.

To be honest, recording drums well is more art than science - and often a cheaper mic is pretty good when the kit is a good one, with good tuning, in a good room, rather than an expensive one on a poorer, less well cared for kit in a rotten space. You can often swap mics and hear no difference at all. You could mic an entire kit with 57s, sort the EQ and get away with it if the kits is a good one. Good condensers, for example on horrible symbals can emphasise things and slice your head riht off!

My kit is definitely solid. My Gretsch Broadkaster is only a year old, love it to death. Tuning I am also pretty solid at, though I am sure there are tips and tricks I could figure out there. My room is definitely an issue. I have a studio, but it's in an old church building and pretty boomy (one of the walls is exposed brick). Ways to deaden that is another area where I am super open to thoughts and suggestions. Probably difficult to know what to suggest without being in there :/

RD, which set of CADs did you get. They have had a number of different styles. I think your use of a D-112 is a good idea.

I have a CAD mic kit that I got a dozen years ago or more. It had the TSM411s which I quite liked on the drums and even on electric guitar, the 1200XLs weren't bad for pencils, similar to my AKG P170s, but I didn't care much for the KSM412 kick mic. It was really "woofy" sounding to me.

RD, which set of CADs did you get. They have had a number of different styles. I think your use of a D-112 is a good idea.
I'm not sure. They're the ones in the link at the bottom of my post. Guess they're called "Stage" or something? Yes, the D-112 is a great kik mic. Putting the CAD kik mic on my floor tom really works well.

Like Rob, I like the Sennheiser 604s for snare and toms but prefer to use them on stands rather than use the clips because it is hard to position them optimally with the clips they supply. I'll always use small diaphragm condenser mics for overheads - I often use PZMs but there are lots of suitable choices.

I've got a matched pair of Josephson SDCs and a pair of AT 4050s I'm looking to sell, along with a D112 and a bunch of SM57s, if anybody is looking for a solid drum mic setup.

I second the recommendation for CAD mics. Go to Ebay and look for CAD drum mic packs. Those are solid mics, and the packs are often used but they offer great value for the money, believe me.

Here in St Louis we have a chain called Music Go Round. All second hand gear. GREAT bargains on all kinds of gear but you have to keep your ear to the ground. My go to mics for toms are AKG C-3000's. I see them there used for less than $100. In a pinch, I'd use them as overheads but only in a pinch.

Back