Martin om28 waist binding

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
Hi all, I have a Martin om28 that has had the binding in the waist area become unglued for the past 3 winters as (I guess) both the wood and the plastic binding contract with the change in conditions. Each time over the last 3 winters I have glued it back with Titebond. I know that Titebond isn't the best thing to use because it doesn't work on plastic. I've just done it hoping it would bond some of the original glue that was on the plastic binding to the guitar body, if you know what I mean. That, and I've been too lazy to get the right glue.

So, can anyone suggest a glue I should get for this job?

I was thinking that if the plastic has a tendency to shrink in winter and expand in summer...(and same with the actual wood of the guitar too) should I even be looking to bond the plastic binding to the wood with super strong glue? What will happen in the changes of the seasons? If the plastic binding shrinks will it tear the wood?? Will bad things happen?

I have a Taylor GC5 that has never become unbound at the waist. Solid as a rock. But this om28, not so. And it's only a newish guitar...2014...and the waist binding issues started only 3 or so years into its life.

I'd like to glue the waist binding down once and for all.

So, what would you suggest? I'm in Australia and can not have glue shipped from Stewmac etc. So it would need to be something somewhat generic.

I read this might be an option:

Thank you

Last edited:
Duco was the original glue used for binding but I don’t know if it is still the same stuff or if it will fix a problem that has persisted this long.

You might check at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (umgf.com). There was a known problem with binding coming loose in the 2014-15 years (primarily) due to a change in glue that was used. I believe the best solution is superglue, but you’d have to clean out the Titebond for starters. It’s also going to mar the finish easily so a repair person that has done it before would be my recommendation, if that is an option.

Is that a fact? About the change in glue I mean. Well my om28 sure fits right in with that. I used to be a member over at the unofficial Martin forums but they don't like my login anymore and make me jump through weird hoops wanting me to login with something else.

I think I'll just give the Duco a go and be careful. I'm not taking my guitars to techs anymore. I've got the gear for DIY and know a few tricks. I think stuff like Duco sets fast...so clean, apply and then take care to wipe excess I guess.

One thing that puzzles me is what happens from here on out with changes in the seasons if I Duco the binding on? Will the binding shrink and pull the wood with it etc?

I guess I'll find out.

Thanks

Is that a fact? About the change in glue I mean. Well my om28 sure fits right in with that. I used to be a member over at the unofficial Martin forums but they don't like my login anymore and make me jump through weird hoops wanting me to login with something else.

I think I'll just give the Duco a go and be careful. I'm not taking my guitars to techs anymore. I've got the gear for DIY and know a few tricks. I think stuff like Duco sets fast...so clean, apply and then take care to wipe excess I guess.

One thing that puzzles me is what happens from here on out with changes in the seasons if I Duco the binding on? Will the binding shrink and pull the wood with it etc?

I guess I'll find out.

Thanks
It is a fact.

I would mask (tape) carefully around the gaps to avoid getting Duco on the lacquer. Supposedly it is not a solvent these days, but it's going to stick to it and just make cleanup harder.

The binding does shrink over time, but if it's glued well then it has to shrink for a long, long time before you typically start to see cracks. The problem you might find now is that it's shrunk more than will allow it to tightly seat easily against the wood. Just work carefully is all I can suggest, and go to that Martin forum to see what others have recommended. Good luck.

Thanks Keith. I think it'll be fine to seat it against the wood. There's no problem in pressing it all down neatly at this stage, despite shrinkage.

Just as an aside...I have a 2008 D28 where waist binding came unstuck too. Not as badly as the om28...but yeah, annoying.

I think a contributing factor is that for the last 5 years or so my guitars have been stored pretty much without regular use. I'd been working overseas until half a year ago or so.

Anyway, will try the Duco and hope for the best.

thanks

I guess I'll find out.

Thanks
Martin originally used Acetone to adhere the binding, simply by melting it to the wood. This was when their bindings and Pearloids were plastic. I think around 2014 is when they swapped to a thermo plastic called Boltron, and that is when the binding issues began. I had an OM 21 with the same issues, and could not find a tech that wanted any part of it. Here is a link to recommended Boltron adhesives, but keep in mind that some may leech into the finish, and cause discoloration. (Finish issues were one of the reasons given by techs for not wanting to repair mine)

Thanks Shep. I used Duco in the end and did an ok job. Not the best job, not the worst. Disappointing from Martin. A near 200yo company having their top line guitars featuring built in faults more or less. But these things happen.

Hopefully the job I did will hold for a good while.

PS...I might add that similar issues, though not as pronounced, occurred with my 2008 Martin D28. Which predates the Boltron, it appears.

PPS...I incur some blame as my guitars spent many of the last 6 or 7 years cased and largely unplayed as I'd been working overseas. They sat idle through summer and winter changes etc. I'm from a mild climate area though.

Thanks Shep. I used Duco in the end and did an ok job. Not the best job, not the worst. Disappointing from Martin. A near 200yo company having their top line guitars featuring built in faults more or less. But these things happen.

Hopefully the job I did will hold for a good while.

PS...I might add that similar issues, though not as pronounced, occurred with my 2008 Martin D28. Which predates the Boltron, it appears.

PPS...I incur some blame as my guitars spent many of the last 6 or 7 years cased and largely unplayed as I'd been working overseas. They sat idle through summer and winter changes etc. I'm from a mild climate area though.
My Huss & Dalton is 20 years old, and has zero issues with loose binding. Instead of plastic, the use curly Maple. I have been meaning to email Martin about building me a custom D 35, and using curly maple binding instead of plastic. Also want to use real Honduran Rosewood. One thing for sure, Martin may have their issues, but there is nothing else that has that sound to my ears.

Yeah, I love my Martins, for sure. I also have a very nice Taylor GC5 slotted headstock. They don't make those anymore.

Back