all the lies

Actually - the U87 has a characteristic I didn't expect. Certainly it's a nice mic, but only on some sources. It's almost like it flatters some and really doesn't work on others not what I expected. Being honest, I kept trying it, but constantly returning to the 414. This could simply be I'm not yet comfortable with what works and what doesn't, but it's annoying me. I expected far more, and didn't get it. The 414 is still the one that doesn't get put away, and the 87 is just too expensive to leave around, especially as I'm very clumsy. The 103 works for me, but the 87 is well, unexciting? That's plainly ridiculous, but I do regret buying it. I suppose at least it might hold it's value. I could never recommend anyone buying an 87, expecting it to perform well in a bedroom. It will be, er, nice. A cheaper mic and a monitor upgrade would be much better value for your money.

I don't currently have a 421 - I keep an eye out for a second hand one - but I'd prefer a pair, and they're silly money, even of they do come up.

It may be worth saying that I have the opposite experience to Rob with the U87. However I have the older, slightly noisier version with the battery compartment which also has a high frequency roll off. It often doesn't come across as anything special when heard in isolation but the sound usually fits really well in a mix and it responds to eq well. However, unlike Rob, I don't have a 414 to compare it with.

67Actually - the U87 has a characteristic I didn't expect. Certainly it's a nice mic, but only on some sources. It's almost like it flatters some and really doesn't work on others not what I expected. Being honest, I kept trying it, but constantly returning to the 414. This could simply be I'm not yet comfortable with what works and what doesn't, but it's annoying me. I expected far more, and didn't get it. The 414 is still the one that doesn't get put away, and the 87 is just too expensive to leave around, especially as I'm very clumsy. The 103 works for me, but the 87 is well, unexciting? That's plainly ridiculous, but I do regret buying it. I suppose at least it might hold it's value. I could never recommend anyone buying an 87, expecting it to perform well in a bedroom. It will be, er, nice. A cheaper mic and a monitor upgrade would be much better value for your money.

I don't currently have a 421 - I keep an eye out for a second hand one - but I'd prefer a pair, and they're silly money, even of they do come up.
Some big money mics do sound uninspiring by themselves but work when in a mix. I don't have any Neumann mics but I have auditioned them and my opinion of the 87 has always been that for most sound sources it works the midrange in such a way to make mixing "record ready" easier, but it does not make everything sound "good". For sheer good sound I prefer 47's either FET or tube but can't justify spending the money on them since I am not doing recording as a business. The 67 would be my alternate choice for sound quality and versatility if price were no object.

The C12 is another high dollar mic that works better on some sources and not as well on others, but will make just about anything stand out in a mix.

I also have never cared for the sound of 414 XLII's but the XLS sounds clean and balanced and I find it works for me. That said, the bump in the II's does make anything recorded with it jump out in a mix.

How it fit's in a mix can be one of the many reasons one chooses mic "A" over mic "B". LDC's by their very design, are going to pick up more unwanted sound along with the good stuff so where they are positioned and what the source is will be more exposed during recording.

I have found that a close mic situation will almost always benefit from using the appropriate dynamic mic rather than an LDC and if the source is high frequency dominant and the room is good, I prefer a ribbon over most LDC"s.

I am enjoying your tests and thanks for the effort.

So Joey what part of the world do you live in...I'm here in La la land...

I know nothing about nothing. But, I say a sincere THANK YOU to anyone who is kind enough to pass on information for free. I've been in too many rooms where someone will say "I know how to do that." and when asked "HOW?" They respond "I'm not telling you. I had to go to school to learn that." It's their prerogative to keep the info private. It's just a buzz kill for the moment. Why say anything at all if you're not going to help?

Ah, the 421 was mentioned in this thread, I got confused. I do own one but I do not use it enough. There was a sound I was impressed with by a guy over in the academy that uses a 421 and 57 (on top of each other) similar to an XY configuration except both mics are on axis. in the vanilla position. 12th fret at 8inches or so distance. Hard panning gives nice results, it's not as wide but it really does work very well. Those mics do complement one another in a nice way, I can see why people love to pair those 2, especially on guitar cabs. It's Cameron Webbs go-to in most situations and that guy has access to all the best mics in the world. It is Machine heads go-to along with countless others I believe. It's just as fullproof as you can get!
^
I went off on a tangeant, sorry!

I think I'm going to go for the U87 within a couple of months. I want to eliminate all of my weak parts of the chain. If I still can't get a pro result after that fact then I know I am just not doing things right. Access to a high end mic would be lovely. I have always tried to get by with stock plugins and cheap gear, but curiosity is getting the better of me nowadays, can the U87 really make the difference? The difference of 2grand? Doubt it. I am even doubtful it would be that much different from my cheap RB500 £80.00 Ribbon mic which also gives that lush warm sound that takes to even the most aggressive EQ moves incredibly well (I know these are different types of mic but my point still stands). I will bite the bullet and try it out, I hope I am proved wrong. Otherwise if things don't work out this month. I'll try out that Audio Technica AT2050 that was mentioned up above until I can afford that U87.

I'm finding it difficult to find time, but I want to really check out your videos Rob. I will definitely watch them. Thanks for doing this for us all. It's something I have always wandered about. Understanding this stuff can be difficult for the typical guy who does not have access to these kinds of mics for comparisons.

I did not expect your personality, it was professional enough to be taken very seriously. It's funny how we can get an image of somebody in our heads just through messages back and forth on forums.

First of all I want to thank you for that very detailed post. You definitely know exactly what you are talking about because after many many hours of tweaking EQ balances with endless test recordings I noticed that a few things you said that are which are completely unintuitive are what I stumbled across by accident and you are bang on! I am eager to try your EQ suggestions out because I am slightly off target from your suggestions, but not by far! For e:g I aggressively LPF at 14khz, and clear a bit around 1.5k instead of the 2-5k which you suggested, I am putting a HPF at 70hz (shallow) if no bass guitar or drums, the boost up in the air frequencies is really important, I underestimated this area, I was actually attempting warm and darker mixes by throwing a low pass filter (shallow) on the acoustic guitar at around 8k, I've tried all sorts. The most exciting and pleasant to my ear is pushing the highs like you say. But now I have a different thought process thanks to your suggestions, I will take note of the extra seperation I get by boosting up around 10k area and listen carefully while fine tuning it, your advice was invaluable to me and I will most certainly try it out as soon as I can. The compression advice is noted also, I was using very little compression in the box, and none on the way in, most of the time the compressor was not kicking in but occasionally i'll get 2-3dbs of compression at certain parts of the song. I thought the fastest attack might be a good idea to push the guitar back a little from the vocal? I was never sure, I lose punch at the cost of that setting but then it can interfere a little with the vocal. Adding a room verb seems to do wonders too, on the strumming guitar, it really makes the melody or vocal line stand right up front and in your face without the need to turn it up, but again... this comes at the expense of punch (even while messing with pre-delay), there is a lot to think about and it's tough.

I will write more back here as soon as I can, I'm in a different time zone and I was asleep so this is why there was delay, there is a few things I want to say still. There are some recorded acoustic guitars on one of Warren huarts songs that is my GO TO acoustic guitar reference. It is simply the most beautiful damn thing I've ever heard. I have the multitracks but unfortunately there was no mix breakdown so I have no damn clue how the hell he got there. He has 4 recordings of strumming guitar, 2 standard guitar takes, and 2 nashville tuned takes. I am assuming hard panned L/R. although when I try this I can hear a little flamming going on in the higher frequencies, panning in 75% or so L/R seems to sound miles better on my own recordings for some reason, my playing isn't that sloppy, and I edited even tighter also so I feel like it is bad EQ accentuating the flams, but I could be wrong!. The bass is huge in this song, using a spectrum analyzer there is a nice big bump, and to my ears the acoustic guitars are SO clear around that 300hz range, I feel like he perhaps went up quite high with the high pass filter also. To my ear it sounds like he is choosing the bass guitar to win the fight in the low end, there is definitely some harmonic activity going on, he uses Rbass a lot, it sounds subby even above 60hz (by that I mean the frequencies that make the sound very round are much higher up), I don't think there is much EQ going on with the bass guitar, the acoustic seems to be cleared around it. I think the guitars are perhaps sidechained heavily, they seem to come up quite consideribly in between phrases although unsure if master bus compression or sidechain ducking. I think one of the tricks he uses might be to have the acoustic guitars and bass LOUD at the start of the song to stop the listener from turning the song down when the vocal comes in even though it comes in hot, and then just turning everything else down a ton to leave a butt load of room around the vocal. reason I bring this up is because it really can affect my EQ choices.

Skip to 30 seconds for the song with the acoustic guitars if you was interested in what I was talking about, and trying to achieve.

I was struggling with bright harsh guitar sound so I found I got the best recording with what mics I have using a ribbon mic only, the very budget Tbone RB500 Ribbon, which is my entry into the world of ribbons, I love it, sounds awesome, I was using this on the same guitar as what warren is using in the video which is the Yamaha LL16, I brought it specifically because I thought it was going to be the answer to everything. 4inches from the 12th fret on axis actually sounds surprisingly good, I could definitely get away with that sound using little EQ if it was a solo guitar (although if solo guitar I would probably stereo mic anyway), my issue was trying to shape it around a vocal line, or melody guitar. But yes, I am recording below a cloud in my mix position, I have bass traps, I have thick duvets hanging in front of windows, I have RFZ etc. I am Close miking, there is very little room interference compared to normal. I do have an annoying 600hz resonance, not sure if that's the guitar or room but 2 or 3 db notch seems to take care of it nicely. I am recording 4 seperate takes like warren did, using nashville + normal acoustic. I wish i knew how the hell he mixed that nashville in with the normal acoustic guitars aswel! It's so bloody annoying that the one song I am working towards with my own recordings has no mix breakdown!!!!

I had a good look at the AT4050, unfortunately none for sale on Ebay. the U87 would be lovely, it's juuuust out of my price range right now. I am torn between the R121 and U87 now ......

I feel like a high end mic my be a missing ingredient, it's the only thing that seems to be missing from my chain, like in the Warren huart video above, I'm using same guitar, better interface and being recorded the same way with no outboard gear stright into the interface, in a fully treated room. the only part of the chain that is different is the mic (and obviously player). But this can come a little later, my results are very good still. But there is still room for a lot of improvement. I think your EQ suggestions will help a great deal.

I will most probably need to copy/paste your reply into my notes so I can refer back to it. lots of good information there, dense! You most certainly are not coming across like a know it all. it is very much appreciated. I need those details you mentioned, all of it. But anyway, I have plugged you for enough information! It's not fair I take up too much of your time.

I'll tell you what though.... I'm going to be sorry if you dissapear from this forum. You have got me thinking about a lot of things. And I feel more confident. I really do wish I lived near Detroit, unfortunately I am in England. You're very kind and you have made my day, I just re-read your original posts again and It has all sunk in now, I learned a lot. I'd definitely buy you a beer for that, hell... probably 20. Your post is without a doubt going into my notes permanently. Cheers man!

Jamz, lets take it piece by piece. You can never go wrong with a ribbon mic. When i talk about mic comparisons, I leave ribbons out, because simply, they always sound good on everything, so you cant go wrong owning one. If 700 is too much for the 4050, go with the 4040. I have the 4033, which i believe they dont make anymore, and its unbelievable. The plus in going with the AT is that you can record everything with it, much like a U87. Most mics are not like that. I bought my vocal mic just for vocals. Its a Lawson L251. Its a tube that emulates the old telefunkin Elam, and its the best vocal mic i have ever used. Ive owned a 414, C12-which was my favorite, U87, etc, and nothin touches this mic. It even has a switch to go to emulation of the old FET 47. It basically just givres it a bump around 250 cycles and rolls back the 15k bump the Elam used to push. Its $2500 because you buy diorect from Gene Lawson. It would be the price of the C12 if you couldnt.
However, if you want a mic that will do everything, this isnt it. The U87 simply cannot be beat.There is nothing it doesnt record perfectly, and its an outrageously fine vocal mic. Luther Vandross used to use it...that should tell you everything. Now, in the budget area, you just cant beat the AT line..buy the one you can afford, but here is the secret to professional vocals that no one will tell you. Its not the mic, its the pre! A U87 through a scarlett interface is not going to beat a 4050 through a Focusrite Red 7..no way. But the 7 is $2200, and dont let a single person tell you a plug-in will sound that good. I have vocals with a neve 1073 plugin and my lawson, the the same song sung through my lawson and a Red 8 (which is the 7 without the compressor. Just the pre. About $1300 or so). The multi-dimensional depth and crystalline presence is something your not going to get with the same plug-in. I would get a 4040 or 4050 and buy a killer pre like the Red 8. dont worry about compression because in the tracking stage you dont want to see anymore than a couple Db of gain reduction, and only on peaks, so keep your threshold high. Its only function is to stop clipping and grab parts that create a huge dynamic range. Transients that jump out hard. The rest is done in the mix. If you compress real hard on input, it doesnt make sense on vocals. If you overdo it on a killer vocal, you can expand it a little in the mix, but it cant be undone. And anything you do in the recording stage that you like, you can easily do in the mix, so dont take chances. And I dont care how good it sounds to your ear, record flat...No EQ.

Jamz, lets take it piece by piece. You can never go wrong with a ribbon mic. When i talk about mic comparisons, I leave ribbons out, because simply, they always sound good on everything, so you cant go wrong owning one. If 700 is too much for the 4050, go with the 4040. I have the 4033, which i believe they dont make anymore, and its unbelievable. The plus in going with the AT is that you can record everything with it, much like a U87. Most mics are not like that. I bought my vocal mic just for vocals. Its a Lawson L251. Its a tube that emulates the old telefunkin Elam, and its the best vocal mic i have ever used. Ive owned a 414, C12-which was my favorite, U87, etc, and nothin touches this mic. It even has a switch to go to emulation of the old FET 47. It basically just givres it a bump around 250 cycles and rolls back the 15k bump the Elam used to push. Its $2500 because you buy diorect from Gene Lawson. It would be the price of the C12 if you couldnt.
However, if you want a mic that will do everything, this isnt it. The U87 simply cannot be beat.There is nothing it doesnt record perfectly, and its an outrageously fine vocal mic. Luther Vandross used to use it...that should tell you everything. Now, in the budget area, you just cant beat the AT line..buy the one you can afford, but here is the secret to professional vocals that no one will tell you. Its not the mic, its the pre! A U87 through a scarlett interface is not going to beat a 4050 through a Focusrite Red 7..no way. But the 7 is $2200, and dont let a single person tell you a plug-in will sound that good. I have vocals with a neve 1073 plugin and my lawson, the the same song sung through my lawson and a Red 8 (which is the 7 without the compressor. Just the pre. About $1300 or so). The multi-dimensional depth and crystalline presence is something your not going to get with the same plug-in. I would get a 4040 or 4050 and buy a killer pre like the Red 8. dont worry about compression because in the tracking stage you dont want to see anymore than a couple Db of gain reduction, and only on peaks, so keep your threshold high. Its only function is to stop clipping and grab parts that create a huge dynamic range. Transients that jump out hard. The rest is done in the mix. If you compress real hard on input, it doesnt make sense on vocals. If you overdo it on a killer vocal, you can expand it a little in the mix, but it cant be undone. And anything you do in the recording stage that you like, you can easily do in the mix, so dont take chances. And I dont care how good it sounds to your ear, record flat...No EQ.
I will listen to those acoustics on my studio monitors, but from what I heard on computer speakers tells me he has at least a 100 cycle roll-off, hes sucking out the low mids, probably at 300, but he went a little too far with it. Probably a wide Q, so he also cut a huge amount through 600 as well. Acoustics cannot be a set program, like electrics can be. Depending on the body type, the mic placement, and type of guitar, they can very in extremes with what you need to do. I can tell you that his light strums that stick out without being too brittle is becaue he is pushing them at 10k and removing 800 cycles to 3k somewhere in there. Ill let you know after i listen on my monitors. One of the ways I know hes rolling back at around 300 is because that is where you hear bass frequencies on small speakers, and his bass and low acoustics were completely gone on my speakers. So with bass guitar, he is rolling off the higher 300hz-1k hz, and could be eliminating completely where the finger sound is around 7kh. Probably a low pass set low. This is a big trend now a days, and can sound good if you know what else to do to male a song pump. Bump if you dont, you just end up with a lifeless bottom end that usually disappears on small speakers.
Oh also, I wont disappear on you Jamz. I can get busy, but I wish I would have had people to tell me sometimes what it took 25 years to learn. And I dont mind making money, but I cant stand taking it from people that dont have it, or from a question that only takes a few minutes to answer. You want me to mix a song, sure, ill charge. B ut I do it based on peoples budgets, and Ill tell you and show you everything I did so you can do it for yourself should you ever want to. There is no need to milk people. The truth is that just like playing an instrument. If youve been playing for 30 years, you can show a guy or student absolutely everything you know...and they still can play like you. That takes experience. So why not tell them. If they need a guitar track layed, they are still going to call you. Showing people things doesnt take away your ability to do it, it just gives them hope that they can one day do the same.

I will listen to those acoustics on my studio monitors, but from what I heard on computer speakers tells me he has at least a 100 cycle roll-off, hes sucking out the low mids, probably at 300, but he went a little too far with it. Probably a wide Q, so he also cut a huge amount through 600 as well. Acoustics cannot be a set program, like electrics can be. Depending on the body type, the mic placement, and type of guitar, they can very in extremes with what you need to do. I can tell you that his light strums that stick out without being too brittle is becaue he is pushing them at 10k and removing 800 cycles to 3k somewhere in there. Ill let you know after i listen on my monitors. One of the ways I know hes rolling back at around 300 is because that is where you hear bass frequencies on small speakers, and his bass and low acoustics were completely gone on my speakers. So with bass guitar, he is rolling off the higher 300hz-1k hz, and could be eliminating completely where the finger sound is around 7kh. Probably a low pass set low. This is a big trend now a days, and can sound good if you know what else to do to male a song pump. Bump if you dont, you just end up with a lifeless bottom end that usually disappears on small speakers.
Oh also, I wont disappear on you Jamz. I can get busy, but I wish I would have had people to tell me sometimes what it took 25 years to learn. And I dont mind making money, but I cant stand taking it from people that dont have it, or from a question that only takes a few minutes to answer. You want me to mix a song, sure, ill charge. B ut I do it based on peoples budgets, and Ill tell you and show you everything I did so you can do it for yourself should you ever want to. There is no need to milk people. The truth is that just like playing an instrument. If youve been playing for 30 years, you can show a guy or student absolutely everything you know...and they still can play like you. That takes experience. So why not tell them. If they need a guitar track layed, they are still going to call you. Showing people things doesnt take away your ability to do it, it just gives them hope that they can one day do the same.
The EQ settings I threw at you are always gonna be a slight difference depending on the guitar, mic, and tracking chain. Just remember this, cause its the most important thing you can learn. EQ is just gain, and gain is noisy, so subtractive EQ will always get you the best results. With a tonal instrument, start with a Q of 1 oct and then you can play with it, narrowing a bit until you get your sound. The number of bandwidths you affect with a parametric bell shaped EQ when applied (which is the Q--a very narrow Q of 5 octaves will affects very little frequencies around it..a high Q, or notch filter as we used to call it, will affect almost nothing around it but the target frequency) Narrow Q's on tomnal instruments will get you the real weird conmbing sound...this might be the flamming you were talking about. People dont understand how much Q has to do with the sound of your application. Anyway. EQ, is gain. Just like panning. Do you think you actually move a sound when you pan. No. You make it louder in one sopeaker and not the other. Gain! When you add eQ, you applay gain to the target frequency, AnD all the frequencies around it depending on how wide your Q is. So with peole who dont understand bandwith, can you imagine small bumps of EQ at several frequencies for all the instruments in a mix, yet bot knowing you had a .10 wide Q on them all. Can you imagine the mudd for sound. Same thing when you add EQ on way in. You can end up with a dull, mudd, lack of luster track that cant be fixed, all because your Q was too wide on input.
I actually have to get in the studio now Jamz, but I will come back later tonight and we will finish talking about the rest of the things you mentioned in your reply. Hang on man...music is beautiful

JamEZ - before you shell out on a U87 - I would hire one for a week and see if you like it, because it is NOT guaranteed.
my link here will let you hear my experiences with it - and it's not startling and I'm not convinced it was a sensible thing to buy. Everything about it is good - the build the finish the way the switches work and I just can't find a place for it. Fair enough maybe I'm not yet experienced enough with it to guess it's success, but it does seem to work for some things and fight with you on others. It's only my opinion of course - but can you hear anything in the video that makes you want to buy it? It seems to respond well to gentle EQ, which helps, but it is not an allrounder.

Hey Rob, it was really interesting to see that comparison video, that was a very valuable video for me to watch. Your voice took a good step forward when you switched to the U87, it's a very smooth mic (listening on laptop right now though, but I will listen again in studio soon). I definitely get where you are at. It is a lot of money, I have been thinking about it quite a lot today and I can just about stretch to afford it assuming next month I get this specific job in Ireland.

Let's just say I wanted a high end mic in my toolkit. It's gotta be the U87 right? I think I can gather from your video that you do not regret buying it?

My current LDC is a Sontronics STC3X, which cost me about £250, a cheaper sontronics STC10 got thrown in for free and you get a pop shield etc with it. I would like to think that the U87 would blow the arse out of that mic. I get it that it's a ton of money, but I should get a lifetime out of it? And I have literally nothing else to spent money on soon for the sake of my finances. I think I have already made up my mind. Nothing short of experiencing for myself will curb that itch that I can't scratch.

Unfortunately that higher end pre-amp will need to wait.

At least I know, if I use the U87 and still fail at getting results I am expecting. I will at least know that it is my own fault! I won't be dissapointed, I will use it as a tool to force me back onto the right path. Wether that be using the U87 primarily, or figuring out that I was just using the mic non-optimally, with non-optimal mixing decisions.

I appreciate you made that video, I paid full attention to it and was concentrating on the sound all the way through.

(Edit: I am considering renting one perhaps also, if not going to prove to be a pain, or cost a good chunk of what it would be to actually buy the mic outright)

Hey Joey, it's good to see you checking back in here, I am just slowly reading through your last messages again.

I actually do not record vocals, I typicaly record instrumental. Sometimes I will do the odd cover and replace the vocal with a guitar. The 1 mic, U87 should be perfect for me, it will by far mostly be used on Acoustic Guitar and as soon as I start getting the hang of it I will probably double my rhythm guitar tracks played twice instead of stereo miking, so not having 2 of them won't be an issue. Although I am sure an M/S configuration, or other stereo technique would sound great if I was to pair it up with my Ribbon, or one of my other mics. Should I want to record in stereo. Which I certainly will try.

That Pre-amp is noted! I only have a couple of those cheap ArtTubeMP V3's knocking around here, I have an Audio Developments field mixer here which cost a couple of grand when it was new but it was practically given to me. it's supposed to sound really good, those pre-amps are supposed to be the same ones in Neve consoles?(I don't know too much about this stuff) I will push hot with the U87 to see if it does anything nice to it. A mic pre was something I was on the lookout for soon. I was looking at those ISAone pre-amps a little while back, and those Art Pro MPA II's. I was just so unsure if I was making the right decision. I will look into that FocusriteRed7. If it comes with a compressor then that would be great, although I just had a look and the FocusriteRed8 is much cheaper (something to think about) I don't have too much outboard gear at all, I don't have an external compressor or EQ so I can't mess up too bad on the way in. Although I do tend to overdo it on the ArtTubeMP sometimes ruining takes. I run as hot as I can into my passive RadialJDI to further condition some of my recordings. I need to spend some time A/Bing this stuff really.

If I can nail the EQ/Compression and general mix of some rough songs I recorded dry straight into the interface, then I will bounce that down and scrap the project and re-record all of it again running through those pre-amps/nicer mics and just keep going like that to see if I can beat my previous best efforts. I don't mind spending time working this stuff out because I feel good when I reach these little milestones.

That U87 should be useful for voiceover work that I sometimes do, I think I can easily warrant buying it. I work in broadcast and I think in the end it will pay for itself along with playing around with it for personal use.

Honestly your post last week, I am getting some of the best results I've ever had. I am getting closer! I still need to experiment a lot, but with my acoustic guitar, generally that 1-5khz area cut while boosting 10k really does some good things to my acoustic guitar mix, I noticed some old EQ's like the REQ does this for you when doing a high shelf boost at say 8khz, it will dip the 1-5khz area range which sounds awesome, so I should have realised! The low end can get a little out of control with that 3.5khz cut but it is needed to reduce the harsh, but the 10k boost compensates for it nicely bringing back a lot of non-harsh brightness and adding that percussive element while simultanously cleaning up the bottom end (that's the unintuitive part!). Some sculpting around that 300hz area (cuts) will open up the top even more again. It's difficult because if you go too far then something else gets thrown out. I have been using your suggestions and I am getting better. I've got that clear direction, now it is just a matter of fine tuning. I think De-essing 2k always seems to help, even if it just the occasional spike that can rip your ears up on smaller speakers, the 400-1.5k area is tricky, here lies a slightly unpleasant cloudy tone in my recording once I pull the bottom (sub 300hz) and high end (1.5k and above) into shape. I think I am getting a more pleasant mix by EQing the low end so that it sounds right, although I err on the side of leaving a little too much in, and then at this point using a multiband compressor to just take a little more low end off to control it. I may be losing perspective though! But it does give a more consistent clean low end, wether or not this sounds better I will just have to bounce down and listen back when ears are rested. If I use EQ alone to do this then my mix can kind of feel too bright/harsh one moment, or boomy/warm another moment.

That's exactly it! I don't mind telling people everything I know, I go as far as I can to help somebody and I would argue that if not for having that attitude. I would not be where I am today. Those same people are now throwing work my way. I still continue to do as much as I can for them. I won't change.

I'm glad you checked in here again, I have been struggling trying to find that perfect tonal balance with acoustic guitar, there seems to be a really thin line to strike that balance, sometimes I think I get a great balance but then when I turn it up (fletchers curve) will then make everything fall apart again.

Joey, again I really appreciate your comments. I have more things to try! I'll keep working at this, thanks to you I think I will get there much, much quicker. I genuinely have not enjoyed a discussion about mixing/recording so much for..... years! Honestly.

No worries if you're busy by the way! I can really struggle to find time to log in here sometimes too.

Edit: Another thing I was surprised about with warrens mix above is that the strumming guitar is leaning quite heavily to the left. I would have assumed hard L/R and stereo balance left up the middle. when I do Hard L.R and then use the stereo balance to shift it slightly over to the left like warren does, it does sound pretty good. this surprised me.

Last edited:
Hey Joey, it's good to see you checking back in here, I am just slowly reading through your last messages again.

I actually do not record vocals, I typicaly record instrumental. Sometimes I will do the odd cover and replace the vocal with a guitar. The 1 mic, U87 should be perfect for me, it will by far mostly be used on Acoustic Guitar and as soon as I start getting the hang of it I will probably double my rhythm guitar tracks played twice instead of stereo miking, so not having 2 of them won't be an issue. Although I am sure an M/S configuration, or other stereo technique would sound great if I was to pair it up with my Ribbon, or one of my other mics. Should I want to record in stereo. Which I certainly will try.

That Pre-amp is noted! I only have a couple of those cheap ArtTubeMP V3's knocking around here, I have an Audio Developments field mixer here which cost a couple of grand when it was new but it was practically given to me. it's supposed to sound really good, those pre-amps are supposed to be the same ones in Neve consoles?(I don't know too much about this stuff) I will push hot with the U87 to see if it does anything nice to it. A mic pre was something I was on the lookout for soon. I was looking at those ISAone pre-amps a little while back, and those Art Pro MPA II's. I was just so unsure if I was making the right decision. I will look into that FocusriteRed7. If it comes with a compressor then that would be great, although I just had a look and the FocusriteRed8 is much cheaper (something to think about) I don't have too much outboard gear at all, I don't have an external compressor or EQ so I can't mess up too bad on the way in. Although I do tend to overdo it on the ArtTubeMP sometimes ruining takes. I run as hot as I can into my passive RadialJDI to further condition some of my recordings. I need to spend some time A/Bing this stuff really.

If I can nail the EQ/Compression and general mix of some rough songs I recorded dry straight into the interface, then I will bounce that down and scrap the project and re-record all of it again running through those pre-amps/nicer mics and just keep going like that to see if I can beat my previous best efforts. I don't mind spending time working this stuff out because I feel good when I reach these little milestones.

That U87 should be useful for voiceover work that I sometimes do, I think I can easily warrant buying it. I work in broadcast and I think in the end it will pay for itself along with playing around with it for personal use.

Honestly your post last week, I am getting some of the best results I've ever had. I am getting closer! I still need to experiment a lot, but with my acoustic guitar, generally that 1-5khz area cut while boosting 10k really does some good things to my acoustic guitar mix, I noticed some old EQ's like the REQ does this for you when doing a high shelf boost at say 8khz, it will dip the 1-5khz area range which sounds awesome, so I should have realised! The low end can get a little out of control with that 3.5khz cut but it is needed to reduce the harsh, but the 10k boost compensates for it nicely bringing back a lot of non-harsh brightness and adding that percussive element while simultanously cleaning up the bottom end (that's the unintuitive part!). Some sculpting around that 300hz area (cuts) will open up the top even more again. It's difficult because if you go too far then something else gets thrown out. I have been using your suggestions and I am getting better. I've got that clear direction, now it is just a matter of fine tuning. I think De-essing 2k always seems to help, even if it just the occasional spike that can rip your ears up on smaller speakers, the 400-1.5k area is tricky, here lies a slightly unpleasant cloudy tone in my recording once I pull the bottom (sub 300hz) and high end (1.5k and above) into shape. I think I am getting a more pleasant mix by EQing the low end so that it sounds right, although I err on the side of leaving a little too much in, and then at this point using a multiband compressor to just take a little more low end off to control it. I may be losing perspective though! But it does give a more consistent clean low end, wether or not this sounds better I will just have to bounce down and listen back when ears are rested. If I use EQ alone to do this then my mix can kind of feel too bright/harsh one moment, or boomy/warm another moment.

That's exactly it! I don't mind telling people everything I know, I go as far as I can to help somebody and I would argue that if not for having that attitude. I would not be where I am today. Those same people are now throwing work my way. I still continue to do as much as I can for them. I won't change.

I'm glad you checked in here again, I have been struggling trying to find that perfect tonal balance with acoustic guitar, there seems to be a really thin line to strike that balance, sometimes I think I get a great balance but then when I turn it up (fletchers curve) will then make everything fall apart again.

Joey, again I really appreciate your comments. I have more things to try! I'll keep working at this, thanks to you I think I will get there much, much quicker. I genuinely have not enjoyed a discussion about mixing/recording so much for..... years! Honestly.

No worries if you're busy by the way! I can really struggle to find time to log in here sometimes too.

Edit: Another thing I was surprised about with warrens mix above is that the strumming guitar is leaning quite heavily to the left. I would have assumed hard L/R and stereo balance left up the middle. when I do Hard L.R and then use the stereo balance to shift it slightly over to the left like warren does, it does sound pretty good. this surprised me.
I love hearing that Jamz...and I do have to disagree with a post someone made to you..I literally in all my years have never seen one person be unhappy with a U87...for vocals, acoustic, even electric...anything. However, I have seen people buy it expecting something that they didnt get. When i first purchased it, I ended up buying the Lawson L251 when they first put in out, because the U87 was great, but it wasnt the sound I wanted on vocals. I am a vocalist first, and the tube feel was what i was looking for. If you get a U87, you will be fine with some good pre plugins because the mic is so phenomenal. In the preamp arean, I would go with UAD. Yes they are expensive, but for mic preamps, I havent heard any better thab the 88rs or the 1073. The 88rs sounds so much like the counsel, it threw me for a loop. However, like the neve counsel, its a little harder to dial in than the 1073..that plugin is a "plug it in a go". So easy to get a great sounds.
One thing I was going to tell you is, dont be afraid to drop your eq in before your compressor. When you de-ess, this is all your doing. Most pre-amp plugins have the ability to do this just like on the original counsel. Many times you will get a better sound if you target your offending frequency and drop your eq (or link it if the plugin has it) before your compressor. Just make sure that you understand that your effect will be in reverse. So BOOSt your offending frequency, not cut. That way the frequency you want tamed will be expressed and jump out, and the compressor will take care of it. If you cut while your eq is linked with your compressor, it wont be the offending frequency that gets tamed, the frequencies around it will and that one will become more prevalent. Did you ever wonder how the bass and kick are so thunderous in Give it Away Now by the red hot chilis, even though he never stops thumping notes on the bass that should be interfering with the kick. Its not an eq separation, its the same concept of eq and compression, except that its a sidechain. They link them by feeding the kick drum to be trigger compressed by the bass, find the freq of the kick fundamental, and every time the bass hits, the kick ducks slightly out of its way. The result: Absolute bottom end glue. Its beautiful.

I love hearing that Jamz...and I do have to disagree with a post someone made to you..I literally in all my years have never seen one person be unhappy with a U87...for vocals, acoustic, even electric...anything. However, I have seen people buy it expecting something that they didnt get. When i first purchased it, I ended up buying the Lawson L251 when they first put in out, because the U87 was great, but it wasnt the sound I wanted on vocals. I am a vocalist first, and the tube feel was what i was looking for. If you get a U87, you will be fine with some good pre plugins because the mic is so phenomenal. In the preamp arean, I would go with UAD. Yes they are expensive, but for mic preamps, I havent heard any better thab the 88rs or the 1073. The 88rs sounds so much like the counsel, it threw me for a loop. However, like the neve counsel, its a little harder to dial in than the 1073..that plugin is a "plug it in a go". So easy to get a great sounds.
One thing I was going to tell you is, dont be afraid to drop your eq in before your compressor. When you de-ess, this is all your doing. Most pre-amp plugins have the ability to do this just like on the original counsel. Many times you will get a better sound if you target your offending frequency and drop your eq (or link it if the plugin has it) before your compressor. Just make sure that you understand that your effect will be in reverse. So BOOSt your offending frequency, not cut. That way the frequency you want tamed will be expressed and jump out, and the compressor will take care of it. If you cut while your eq is linked with your compressor, it wont be the offending frequency that gets tamed, the frequencies around it will and that one will become more prevalent. Did you ever wonder how the bass and kick are so thunderous in Give it Away Now by the red hot chilis, even though he never stops thumping notes on the bass that should be interfering with the kick. Its not an eq separation, its the same concept of eq and compression, except that its a sidechain. They link them by feeding the kick drum to be trigger compressed by the bass, find the freq of the kick fundamental, and every time the bass hits, the kick ducks slightly out of its way. The result: Absolute bottom end glue. Its beautiful.
On the Focusrite Red thing. Go for the red 8, because unless your going to have a patchbay where you can use outgear in the mix and use the compressor (which is one of the best made...its the Red 3 comp) it doesnt make sense. To spend that much just to tame peaks when your cutting vocals, you can do that with a plugin. For half as much you get stereo pre's, and let me tell you that on kick and snare, it will transform your kit. I like it better than a real 1073 on kick and snare because it is so consistent. 1073's are like old Telefunken mics...one sounds so great you have an orgasm every time you use it, and another sounds like you ran it through a guitar amp with the gain on 11. The Red stuff is great every time.
I get what your saying about how your mixes shift. Hey Jamz, thats everybody, and thats why mixes are so tough. Remember this...before you do a thing, pull the whole mix up, let it play, put everything in a small room, so wet each channel with the same room, and sit back and listen. Pop in mono while its play, and A/B it like that a few times. If something disappears, or the middle gets sucked out of an instrument, something is out of phase, so fix that. Then, without soloing anything yet, make small EQ changes while you pan everything where you want, because those two things are the same, just different functions- your finding a spot for everything. If your having trouble getting something clear, for instance a piano and a guitar. First decide whats a primary instrument and whats secondary. So for this, lets say its a guitar song. Dont worry about panning with two instruments that wont get out of the way of each other.

On the Focusrite Red thing. Go for the red 8, because unless your going to have a patchbay where you can use outgear in the mix and use the compressor (which is one of the best made...its the Red 3 comp) it doesnt make sense. To spend that much just to tame peaks when your cutting vocals, you can do that with a plugin. For half as much you get stereo pre's, and let me tell you that on kick and snare, it will transform your kit. I like it better than a real 1073 on kick and snare because it is so consistent. 1073's are like old Telefunken mics...one sounds so great you have an orgasm every time you use it, and another sounds like you ran it through a guitar amp with the gain on 11. The Red stuff is great every time.
I get what your saying about how your mixes shift. Hey Jamz, thats everybody, and thats why mixes are so tough. Remember this...before you do a thing, pull the whole mix up, let it play, put everything in a small room, so wet each channel with the same room, and sit back and listen. Pop in mono while its play, and A/B it like that a few times. If something disappears, or the middle gets sucked out of an instrument, something is out of phase, so fix that. Then, without soloing anything yet, make small EQ changes while you pan everything where you want, because those two things are the same, just different functions- your finding a spot for everything. If your having trouble getting something clear, for instance a piano and a guitar. First decide whats a primary instrument and whats secondary. So for this, lets say its a guitar song. Dont worry about panning with two instruments that wont get out of the way of each other.
Damn, i am making paragraphs but when i post it takes them away...i hope its not frustrating to read

Damn, i am making paragraphs but when i post it takes them away...i hope its not frustrating to read
Those little art tubes are phenomenal for live gigs...the little tube one gives such warmth on a vocal or acoustic..so much better than the undedicated pre's on a mackie mixer. Art actually makes a rack pre that is pretty killer for the price. Let me give you another option if your not going for vocals. My favorite mic on acoustic, piano, strings, horns (except for a great ribbon) are the Neumann KM 184..you used to be able to buy a matched pair for $1100...but if not, they are doing something now they never did before. You can only buy one if you want for like $850. Its just unfair how great this mic is. A stereo pair on drum overheads cant be beat. Thats an option for you. I would'nt use a small diaphragm on vocals, but if you dont need it for that, thats alot less than whatever a U87 is going for these days. I spent $2000 in 1991, so i can just imagine. Now for those who are talking vocals...well, the Lawson L251 for $2500...you can beat it, no way, and it will kick the shit out of a U87. Vocals have such depth they sound 3D, and you never have to eq bump to get presence in the mix, they are already off the tape.

FIRST, put the mix in mono and separate them while they are sitting right on top of each other. It forces you to think depth, front and back, not just side to side. How? The piano needs to sit in back, so try something like, 3-4db subtract at 1-3k, and put a little more room on it than the guitar. this is just for right now. When they separate, and the piano is behind the drier guitar, put it back in stereo and pan them where you want them. The finishing touch would be a plate on the piano with a shorter predelay, so that the verb gets triggered without as much of the the dry signal..20-30ms..as the guitar. One of the hugest mistakes young mixers make is putting different effects on every instrument. Have you ever gone and seen a band where every player is in a different room? No..our ears want to recognize what they are used to hearing..100 different effects are not natural to our ears. You want unglued mixes, youll get em that way.​
They stereo guitar thing...hard left and right is just supermono, unless you have two completely independent tracks that have interplay against one another...and no, copying the track and delaying it with the other track wont give you natural stereo. When you use two mics to record an acoustic, Hard LR will not get you what you want...try the body mic at 2 oclock and the fret mic almost hard left and about 4 db less volume. Then use your effects to taste. And dont forget to get your effects out of the way. Hard left and right should be saved for effects. Try 9 and 3 for your stereo...thats what Lord Algae does. Listen to his mixes. Is anyone gonna say he isnt on point. Doubt it.​
I almost forgot..the U87 will be outstanding for voice over...421 is great as well. No eq on the mic for voiceovers, and put a very short ambience on the track, not too dense with a short tail and a big pre-delay...depending on verb, maybe 60ms...when you hear someone speak, even if your just standing in a building, the reflections that your ears are hearing are not there when you record a close mic flat. Voice overs that sound natural are those you put a slight ambience on...or more if you want the appearance of a stage or auditorium. Sorry for the long posts, i just want you to know i read your whole comment, and i want to address everything you talk about. Ok Jamz, go Jam! talk soon​

Im sorry jamz for the bleed, the paragraphs wont stay when i post. I dont know why...and some of what i wrote might be out of contexts because it mixed them up. I hope its ok

Maybe I should take one of the mics I tested and go to a room with normal walls, as in a room not good for recording. That might be revealing.

On the U87 front. I think you should own other microphones first. Im starting to get some useful comments and it is very clear that some people struggle hearing differences and others are monitoring on equipment capable of that level of subtlety. I suppose I’m saying that unless your monitoring is up to it, your two grand mic is a bit pointless, as your speakers don’t let you hear it. Like a good camera with cheap lens, or good lens and camera and poor monitor. If you up one component you must up the others too!

I will say that I have found they are some semi "universal" descriptions of popular mics(though there are still variances" for instance the classic AT 4050 has a relatively uncolored accurate sound that makes it a good general work horse LDC.
I just used two on guitars (and mandolin) in a video I did last month.

Sycamore Porch Pickers video session.jpg

Back