all the lies

Let me just say that im tired of watching the industry pros lie to up and comers just to take their money, and then give them a promise that cant possibly be achoeved even by an old pro like me. I started engineering on my first record deal in 1990. I cut my teeth at Westlake, Musical Animal, Trax, etc on mostly rap groups like Public Enemy, The College Boys, Biz Markie, and Little Easy E and his crew,..I met him before he died. God rest his very kind soul. After 30 years and many records, I have watched what was once an unknown skill become a multi-mullion dollar income for guys like Chris lord Al, Bob Clearmountain, etc, and most of it is well deserved. These guys make your songs radio ready. But when i speak to interns at my recording studio who are spending thousands on Masterclasses on the net and plug-ins that promise to deliver the "low end" of Chris lord alge (who by the way wouldnt know shit if it wasnt for the very kind man of bob clearmountain who taught him for free), then they tell me what was said...it pisses me off. I did a little research and got even more upset. I dont care about money, and what Chris LA can do for your song is worth every dollar he gets paid and beyond. However, getting paid for promises that cant possibly be delivered by the information your giving for the money is thievery. " Just ghets this plugin" they are told and you bass will thump. Just do this and thats All! Lies. No names mentioned, because it isnt all of them, and the right to keep your secrets as a trade is every mans right. But when very kind men (like bob clearmountain) are handing out knowledge to interns out of the kindness of their heart, and then that future pro charges for it isnt wrong in itself. We all have to eat and create a business. Where the wrong is done is is when the paid pro is saying" I just use a 1176 plugin on my bass at 4:1 fast attack and release with about 3 db reduction on parallel and thats it...get my plug-in" and they are lying...same thing as holding a gun up and robbing.I know some people are going to be pissed, but since im not selling a product, you can beliueve me. The next time your lied to, email me and Ill tell you how to get what youre looking for. The nerve of someone to do that so money can be made, and secrets are kept in selfish gain (especially when ost of them learned from a kind pro while they were making 5 dollars an hour as an intern) just makes me burn. So here are a couple quick hints next time a salesman is trying to dig into your pocket without giving you any of the air they breathe. The picture of a salesmans studio has a computer and a Pro tools screen (i call it pro-stools because the degradation to any sound wave when recorded is so bad it shocks me anyone uses it-try Reaper or Logic. The A/D converters are far superior. Hell, try audacity before you Pro-Stool up your music). Although, the picture of their studio is not what they are using. You see, Killers mixers have a sound- like the Neve 80 series i cut my teeth on, and the API counsel..the one with the double master pot, and that sound is a large part of what youre final product sounds like. Its not that you cant mix without on and get a hit...you can easily, but when the absolute hugeness of an instrument mixed through a Neve counsel with killer outgear hits your face, you realize quickly that the onboard compression of a 33609 on a bass channel paralleled to a blackface 1176 and a pultec on bus will destroy any sound you can get on protools with a waves plugin, period! A Telefunkin elam through a 1073 (screw it, a focusrite Red 8 is unreal) with the eQ engaged just to roll everything off below 50 cycles and give it the color straight from God and a 1176 silver face just to grab the peaks(or an LA 2A-but be prepared to loose some highs, although with the presence bump at 15k of the Elam, you never really had to worry about it) , never will you again believe the promises of these charlatans who tell you "just take my class or buy my plugin and youll sound like me" again. They dont mention that theyre using hardware, not software, using boards with a sound, not computer screens with a one dimensional depth. Yes they all edit and use computers, but (no name mentioned) when a detroit artist is stopping by to record, and send a group he signed to also record, at my studio because i have 2 inch tape, yet the credits on the record say digitally recorded and mastered, thats when all you new puppies out there can understand why you get so damn frustrated when your hip hop track sounds like it was recorded with toy sounds from a 50 dollar plastic casio keyboard instead of like a Tupac joint. And thats ok if your an artist keeping secrets...but not when your a salesman all over the net, getting rich, yet refusing to tell the truth. What happened to this business? Why cant they just say " sorry kid...i told the truth when i said digitally recorded and mastered, but what i didnt tell you was i hit tape first, then dumped it to my computer so i would have the low end shift on me when mixing like tape tends to do, and i used all hardware pres and outgear on the intake, not plug-ins, used my neve counsel for the 1081's and an extra stage of gain so i could have the control I wanted when gain staging, and also for the enormous fat colored huge professional sound it gives to my instruments when tracking, mixed it with all hardware outgear, not a single cheap plugin, because there is no way you can touch my pultecs and API eqs, My huge rack of vintage Urie comps, my Variable-Mu on the drum buss and my Shadow Hills on the master bus,... and oh yeah, I also had Bob Ludwig master it so i could run it half analog, or all analog--ok, now do you want to buy my master class or my 40 dollar waves plug-in so "your tracks will slam just like____?". Yes, im going overboard, but it really hurts me that this is going on. These kids come in my studio, and many of them are spending money they dot have because they actually believe this class of plugin will make the promises come to life! Look , Im not saying these arent good things, they are. I prefer UAD, but i love a ton of my waves plug-ins. They do deliver and keep their promises...its many of the guys turning the knobs that dont. I watched an interview (no name) by one of these pros after my intern told me he payed for a class to learn a specific thing...everything he was told was a half truth, and the interview was laughable. " I just do this -explanation- and thats why i get $10,000 a song from the majors...everything he said was true..except he told you the beginning and then conveniently left out the next 75% of how he gets his guitar sound. An example of of how much is actually left out can simply be stated like this. If im mixing a release and it happens to be a rock cut with heavy guitars--count on seeing me break a power rhythm guitar into three separate tracks just for the EQ..yep..just so i have the control i want on the lows, mids, and highs of that particular instrument, and thats just EQ. Never will you be told this. If ive got a rock song that is basically 4 instruments and thats it, Ill carry my low end by having two bass tracks panned 9 and 3 with inter-playing comps attack and release, Fast/slow left, Slow/fast right kinda thing. This is just a very small example so that you can envision how bad the lies are. Ok, so im donme, and im sure the backlash will be horrifying, but i dont care. To all you pros making promises for money you know cant be kept, my email will be wide open to any newbie who wants to know how to do something...and ill give it like i got it...for free

I got as far as "old pro" and I have to agree with the previous comment. It's impossible to read this screed. Maybe you could simply post a link to your YouTube or SoundCloud page with a *short* intro.

and one sentence is so long that I had to go back and re-read it twice.

I have to say some bits make some kind of sense and others is just a rant, I think - is there a point? Reaper sounds good, protools doesn't? Did I read that correctly? I do get long posts - when you need to say something you think is important, but I can't quite understand what you are saying. You totally lost me - sorry!

Using paragraphs certainly would have helped me to process this post, but I still read it, and I think it is worth discussing.

I understand and agree with the heart of your point (let’s not get into the DAW debate here, although I do love Reaper and Logic as the only DAWs I have experience with!), which is that people are exploiting the naïveté of those of us who are hoping to get good at recording/producing music (interns, students, and plain old joes like my friends and I). Lying about your process is lame. It is called “audio engineering,” not “download this plugin and use this preset” for a reason.

It’s the same sort of thing as sticking some tubes in a guitar amplifier with otherwise-crappy components and calling it a high end, boutique piece of equipment. I think it happens a lot in the music industry, as with any industry. Producing has become so much more accessible to the public, so lazy people are building a market for plugins and classes that promise to deliver impossible results, simply because it will make them money. Boo on them.

I try to learn for free from YouTube, forums, and articles. There are so many good resources out there where they focus on the concepts, rather than the plugins. I learned what compression does and how to listen for it by watching like thirty YouTube videos, reading, and most importantly by taking those concepts and using them to experiment and twist knobs and dials in my computer and my external hardware!

I think your most insightful point is that the problem is not with the plugins but with the people selling them as a panacea that will make your mixes sound perfect every time.
I have bought a few Waves plugins. I like them, but only because I learned how to use them for my needs (and I am still learning how to do this!). I especially like—and this is ironic because, I think Andrew Scheps has a master class—the Scheps Omni strip plug-in. I watched the YouTube videos where he shows how to use it (multiple hours of content where he shows how he came up with it, etc) and I’ve read the frickin 80 page, highly detailed manual that accompanies it multiple times. Best $30 I ever spent on software.
But if someone told me “just set the Omnistrip plug-in to these things and it will sound great,” that would set off some red flags for me. The presets for this plug-in even highlight different knobs, to point you towards the areas where changing a setting will have the most effect on accentuating or de-accentuating that style! So, this is an example of how a Waves plug-in can be used as a tool to help you learn, experiment, and use presets and recommendations as a starting point to creating the sound you want.

Regardless of how cool your plugins are or how well you can produce, you still hit an inevitable fact eventually: certain pieces of hardware just sound different than the emulations when you use them. The Fairchild compressor is a good example of this, if I’m remembering the name right. You just can’t do exactly what the hardware does for your drum bus with the emulations. But from what I’ve heard, engineers often can’t tell the difference in blind tests between the good 1176 emulations and the real thing.

I think you can get really far with plugins and you can make good mixes with them. But tape is tape, and knowledge is knowledge, and no “just buy my plug-in and set it to this” type solution is going to replace knowing the stuff yourself. It is indeed a shame that people take advantage of the newcomers.

So it’s a good thing there are many people out who are willing to help for free, too!

Last edited:
Most of the freebie material I've looked at online via blogs, sites and YouTubes are pretty much dead ends when it comes to delivering on the headlines they open with.

Most of their "secrets" are no more than what can be found in descriptions found in dictionaries. "Compression is... " "Reverb is...", etc.

When compared to the above shysters, Kenny Gioia's Reaper videos are a college education on the subject. And they're free!

I think the most detail I've found in a recent site were the listings of frequency ranges for each instrument. "Secrets" like this are usually accompanied by multiple paragraphs of useless information.

Then there's the usual sales pitch to subscribe to their blog or whatever to stay informed on all the latest... blah, blah, blah.. and learn even more about blah, blah, blah...

I'd love to be in a full-blown studio environment with professional instructors leading me by the hand, but no-can-afford, so I learn-at-home by self-educating.

I got as far as "old pro" and I have to agree with the previous comment. It's impossible to read this screed. Maybe you could simply post a link to your YouTube or SoundCloud page with a *short* intro.
Sorry guys, i did. I used a pages doc from my mac, but when i uploaded it, it changed. I am used to word docs...thats the type I always used when I turned my research papers in for my BA and MA...and I wasnt even good at it then. ..lol..My profs used to tell me all the time my paragraphs were too long...as for it being a rant...or some of it making sense...sorry guys. The knowledge of twenty years being an in-house engineer for majors like Warner and MCA should tell you to read it all, and if it doesnt make sense, ask me and ill explain it. Im not posting to be a know it all. I dont need that. Im posting because I am truly upset by what I see. Dont be the newbies who ignore the old guy...because every hit you listen to is mixed by the old pros.

I worked with Andy Wallace 20 years ago, and if you listen to Stained-Its Been Awhile you will hear an absolute master...Its as close to perfect as I ever heard anything, and the way he uses the binaural edge makes portions 3D..I mean sit up close on some good monitors and the vocal is actually off the tape. This is an old Comp trick when mixing a vocalist without a big dynamic range like Aaron Lewis...unless you think this is rant or nonsensical , I tell you about it. These are the tricks that they wont tell you, even when you pay them. Use a class A VCA compressor with a large variable attack and release...the Urie's like the 1176 are extremely fast, but they are feedback comps. They will work the input stage is a transformer, so FET's dont work as well as VCA'a. Take a red 3, with a 15:1 ratio, a very fast attack and a very slow release, set your threshold to give you 10db of gain reduction, then twist to taste. You wont believe your ears. You will separate the vocal from the mix like you have always wanted but never could. Just make sure you run it through an pre with a rolloff at 50 cycles or even 80.
So there you go. Hey, if Im a guy who only makes kinda sense some of the time, or a ranter who is only out to prove his worth, then ignore me. Or, you could improve your skills by actually reading the whole thing and trying the gold Im handing you...for free

actually, thata a great idea. Remember guys, im old, not young and hip like you guys. I still write my track sheets on paper. The new way of doing things is not always comfortable to me, so maybe you guys can school me on that. Like this from keith...im gonna listen to you and do that. than you

I have to say some bits make some kind of sense and others is just a rant, I think - is there a point? Reaper sounds good, protools doesn't? Did I read that correctly? I do get long posts - when you need to say something you think is important, but I can't quite understand what you are saying. You totally lost me - sorry!
Dont feel bad, I loose myself. I used to drive my my professors crazy. They used to tell me it resembled a stream of consciousness instead of a paper. Rob, I apologize. I write as I think and dont go back and read. Ill have to start doing that, cause your asolutely right. What good is knowledge if no one can understand what your telling them.

What I meant was that Protools, which is a killer editing tools, was never designed to be a recording device. It was made to edit, so the A/D convertors are shit. I really didnt know why, I just knew that a cut would bother my ears after tracking. My friend has a PhD in audio engineering and was with Motown (got to work with the original funk brothers all the time..im jealous). He was part of the Alesis project when they made the convertors for the HD24. Those sound incredible. You can pick one up for about $600 now. Try it and compare a track to same instrument with the same recording chain in Protools and you wont believe it. He designed Reaper: Its his. The convertors are top of the line, but it isnt user friendly. Very hard to learn. I dont like it, but the algorithmic convolution reverbs are unlike anything Ive ever heard. Sound almost like your standing in the mix room at Ocean Way.
When I mixed at Ocean Way on Sunset in LA, the live chambers blew me away. They have a room big enough for an orchestra, and in the back they have several rooms built just to kick verb back to the board: a wood, tile, glass and brick if i remember correctly (or that could have been Kitchen Sink). Anyway, they are famous for live chambers, thats why so many companies are selling their emulation plug-ins now. I use Liogic because the convertors are kick ass, and believe it or not, the stock plug-ins are so good, there all you need to mix radio ready if you gain stage properly. So, sorry for loosing you Rob. I tend to do that often, and I wish my mind wasnt like that, but my knowledge and experience is something I believe should be shared.

Most of the freebie material I've looked at online via blogs, sites and YouTubes are pretty much dead ends when it comes to delivering on the headlines they open with.

Most of their "secrets" are no more than what can be found in descriptions found in dictionaries. "Compression is... " "Reverb is...", etc.

When compared to the above shysters, Kenny Gioia's Reaper videos are a college education on the subject. And they're free!

Big fan of Kenny’s videos! It does take some looking, but there are several other channels out there that really get into the concepts behind production. I’m a fan of Rick Beato’s YouTube channel, his titles are sometimes a little click bait-y but on top of knowing how to produce super well the guy also really knows his music theory! I also like watching interviews with producers where they talk about their process, and podcasts with bands about how they recorded their songs.

I think the most detail I've found in a recent site were the listings of frequency ranges for each instrument. "Secrets" like this are usually accompanied by multiple paragraphs of useless information.

Then there's the usual sales pitch to subscribe to their blog or whatever to stay informed on all the latest... blah, blah, blah.. and learn even more about blah, blah, blah...

I'd love to be in a full-blown studio environment with professional instructors leading me by the hand, but no-can-afford, so I learn-at-home by self-educating.
ok spantini, thats what I mean, but you dont have to be there. Ask me specific questions and I will give to you in detail. Whether my skill-set is above average is a very easy thing to discern. If what i tell you doesnt work, Im a Charlatan as well. What you said is right on the money, and thats why I get so angry. If a pro doesnt want to tell someone like you who has ambition the secrets they have amassed through experience, you cannot fault them. However, when you pay good money, eager to have knowledge imparted, and they lie to you or, as you said, just tell you a tiny speck of data, then what they are doing is robbing you.

Ive watched the promos and the interviews. They dont just say pay me and ill give you some tech tips. They sell their plug-ins and classes with the promo " get this plug-in and your bass will thump like Lord Alge", and so you do. Then the plug-in is so basic, because its meant to be easy, and it does not have the depth of functionality to even get close to what their promising. I used a waves Alge plug-in my student bought. What waves does is eliminate the intricate functions that it takes to achieve what he is promising. Not even I could get the sound I wanted from it. They want it to be a one knob simplistic tools so anyone can use it, and many dont even contain the extra unit of separate amplification you need to properly gain stage. I promise you that without that, you will never have a finished product that is radio ready. What Lord Alge doesnt tell you is that he never mixes with his waves plug-ins..Never! In fact he rarely if ever uses a plug-in at all when mixing. If he does, its for convenience on a secondary instrumnet that is not forefront in the mix.

An example of gear that someone like him uses is a Focusrite red 3 compressor..For those who dont know, this company is one of the finest producers of gear that brings a transparently crystaline sound to any insterument. What a Red 1 or 8 does on Kick and snare is just unfair. And unless you have an original 1073 or 1081, you will not touch it on vocals. It gives a depth to a vocal that is incredibly noticable over other pre's. If you guys want, I will give you a section of a track I cut for one of my students and you can compare the demo, done with a 4033 and a 1073 plug-in (by the way, the AT 4033 is incredible. I have the original, and the 4040 is the best mic ever created under $1000...ever) and then listen to the same track done with the same mic and a Red 8. You will go to ebay and buy one immediately. You should be able to get one for under $1500..It rivals any pre in the $2500-$5000 range guaranteed.

Sorry I talk alot guys, but I am a complete gear head and I love to talk about music.

Big fan of Kenny’s videos! It does take some looking, but there are several other channels out there that really get into the concepts behind production. I’m a fan of Rick Beato’s YouTube channel, his titles are sometimes a little click bait-y but on top of knowing how to produce super well the guy also really knows his music theory! I also like watching interviews with producers where they talk about their process, and podcasts with bands about how they recorded their songs.
There are a lot of pros that are great guys and will share their expertise. I love many of them. Im not begrudging or commenting about them at all. Its the liars that bother me, and from many of the replies I got, I can see many of you notice it and are tired of it

Here’s the secret with pros that they may even forget because it just happens with them every time:

The material they’re working with already sounds 95% there before they even start mixing. It already sounds amazing. The tone of the instruments were good. The gain was set right. The takes are good. Everything is nice. If you ever watch pros mix, they’ll say, “yeah this already sounds great, so I’m just gonna add a tiny EQ bump here and cut a little bit here. Aaaaaand we’re done!”

There are a lot of pros that are great guys and will share their expertise. I love many of them. Im not begrudging or commenting about them at all. Its the liars that bother me, and from many of the replies I got, I can see many of you notice it and are tired of it

Right on. I feel like it is an especially predatory practice for music students, who are already paying an arm and a leg for their education and are already going into tons of student debt before blowing thousands more on misleading (and intentionally deceitful) content and plugins.

Using paragraphs certainly would have helped me to process this post, but I still read it, and I think it is worth discussing.

I understand and agree with the heart of your point (let’s not get into the DAW debate here, although I do love Reaper and Logic as the only DAWs I have experience with!), which is that people are exploiting the naïveté of those of us who are hoping to get good at recording/producing music (interns, students, and plain old joes like my friends and I). Lying about your process is lame. It is called “audio engineering,” not “download this plugin and use this preset” for a reason.

It’s the same sort of thing as sticking some tubes in a guitar amplifier with otherwise-crappy components and calling it a high end, boutique piece of equipment. I think it happens a lot in the music industry, as with any industry. Producing has become so much more accessible to the public, so lazy people are building a market for plugins and classes that promise to deliver impossible results, simply because it will make them money. Boo on them.

I try to learn for free from YouTube, forums, and articles. There are so many good resources out there where they focus on the concepts, rather than the plugins. I learned what compression does and how to listen for it by watching like thirty YouTube videos, reading, and most importantly by taking those concepts and using them to experiment and twist knobs and dials in my computer and my external hardware!

I think your most insightful point is that the problem is not with the plugins but with the people selling them as a panacea that will make your mixes sound perfect every time.
I have bought a few Waves plugins. I like them, but only because I learned how to use them for my needs (and I am still learning how to do this!). I especially like—and this is ironic because, I think Andrew Scheps has a master class—the Scheps Omni strip plug-in. I watched the YouTube videos where he shows how to use it (multiple hours of content where he shows how he came up with it, etc) and I’ve read the frickin 80 page, highly detailed manual that accompanies it multiple times. Best $30 I ever spent on software.
But if someone told me “just set the Omnistrip plug-in to these things and it will sound great,” that would set off some red flags for me. The presets for this plug-in even highlight different knobs, to point you towards the areas where changing a setting will have the most effect on accentuating or de-accentuating that style! So, this is an example of how a Waves plug-in can be used as a tool to help you learn, experiment, and use presets and recommendations as a starting point to creating the sound you want.

Regardless of how cool your plugins are or how well you can produce, you still hit an inevitable fact eventually: certain pieces of hardware just sound different than the emulations when you use them. The Fairchild compressor is a good example of this, if I’m remembering the name right. You just can’t do exactly what the hardware does for your drum bus with the emulations. But from what I’ve heard, engineers often can’t tell the difference in blind tests between the good 1176 emulations and the real thing.

I think you can get really far with plugins and you can make good mixes with them. But tape is tape, and knowledge is knowledge, and no “just buy my plug-in and set it to this” type solution is going to replace knowing the stuff yourself. It is indeed a shame that people take advantage of the newcomers.

So it’s a good thing there are many people out who are willing to help for free, too!
you got it max...and its the person turning the knobs. One of my songs from the past was mixed on a studio and engineer from The Disc LTD had just opened up. He had a Mackie 24 channel and one Presonus 8 channel compressor/gate. We used an Audio Technica 4044 for everything, even acoustic guitar. Electric we went with a 57, which you almost cant beat except for a Sen e609 (this is of course excluding ribbon mics). On acoustic, you cannot beat a U87, however the 4040 cut the axe better than my Akg 414. I was shocked. If you are a budget recorder, unless you can dump over $2000, you will not beat an AT4040, and beliueve it or not, I think there down to about $300 now. Do not let the price tag fool you. Anyway, it still to this day is one of my favorite mixes on any one of my tunes. It lacks the dimensional depth of greater gear, but it doesnt matter. It is still radio worthy because of the guy turning the knobs.

Ax, your ears are in tune brother. The Omni channel is fantastic, and you cant beat Waves prices. About the 1176: You can definitely tell the difference, unless you are using UAD. Guys, choose one or two very needed tools, and spend the money on UAD. Their prices are ridiculously outrageous, but the depth of sound is the finest in plug-in emulation. The replication of one of my favorite mixers, the Neve 88rs is so close to the real thing that only a direct A/B will reveal the difference, and lets face it, how many of us have a 3/4 of a million dollar mixer to compare to a plug-in. Waves Trans-x will blow your hair back as well. I love Waves, not only for the price, but because they make unique tools. Most of the time when you are working with instruments that are not forefront, waves probably has the perfect tool for it. Hey, noit everything in a mix can be huge. If everything is Phat, nothing is. Interplay and separation are not just for frequency and Q factor.
We need a discussion on favorite mics and plug-ins that are affordable and give a mixer the edge who cant afford big money. Lets have it. Favorite Mics anyone?

nah, ive had it. Find those that know how to make it sound like the radio...KICK THE FUCKIN SHIT OUT OF THEM til they tell me...

Time for nice is over. Waste my time. Ill waste all yours..

Here’s the secret with pros that they may even forget because it just happens with them every time:

The material they’re working with already sounds 95% there before they even start mixing. It already sounds amazing. The tone of the instruments were good. The gain was set right. The takes are good. Everything is nice. If you ever watch pros mix, they’ll say, “yeah this already sounds great, so I’m just gonna add a tiny EQ bump here and cut a little bit here. Aaaaaand we’re done!”
boy Crows, did you nail that one. The artist of today use a phrase too much that will destroy a finished product everytime. " Screw it!..Ill fix it in the mix" Thats just plain old inexperience talking. In a generation where understanding and recording above a noise floor is not necessary anymore, you would think that comprehending why tracking it right and gain staging, whether hardware or software, has to be correct. In fact, gain staging is more important in the digital domain. Why? Because clipping does not produce natural saturation compression. We used to hit 499 tape so freaking hard the needles stayed all the way over in the red without even flinching a millimeter. Those days are gone. One db too much and you go from sound to the most annoying dissonance you have ever heard with your two ears. Many mixers in the old days never understood headroom. It was always important to push your board as far as you could, because the more headroom you ate up, the thicker the sound was. Today, because mixers are gone, artist think that theory is dead. It isnt. One of the ways to accomplish this is the digital domain is one of the secrets to an incredibly phat finished product...and one secret most of the salesman out there will not share.

nah, ive had it. Find those that know how to make it sound like the radio...KICK THE FUCKIN SHIT OUT OF THEM til they tell me...

Time for nice is over. Waste my time. Ill waste all yours..
Or just ask Lazer...there are those of us who were taught by the best while making minimum wage as a studio tech, so the knowledge was gold given to us for free. We still believe it should be passed on, and not in part, but fully so those who wish have a real chance and doing something with their music

Back