Line 6

StarSailor12

A friend of mine who owns a small guitar shop told me Gibson has bought Line 6 to have an in to the amp market.
I'm not familiar with Line 6 since I've been using Peavey stuff since 1975, but was wondering if Gibson has shot themselves in the foot with this one. They've never been noted for outstanding amps. I had some friends in the 1970s who had their SG series of amps and they couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Thoughts or comments?:facepalm:

I hadn't heard the Gibson rumour but Line 6 WERE purchased by Yamaha only a few months ago.

Yup, Bobbsy's correct. So I guess your 'friend who owns a small guitar shop' needs to do more reading before spreading rumors!

I've been more than happy with yamaha being the parent company of Steinberg so I hope they do the same for line 6.

On the flip I have not been happy with what Gibson has done to some of their acquisitions.

Gibson are making a concerted effort to broaden their activities in the industry. They have recently acquired Cakewalk as well as investing heavily in Onkyo. Don't be surprised to see them becoming more aggressive in a broader market very soon. As far as Line 6, they were acquired by Yamaha in January this year.

Gibson owns Tascam too.

I'm predicting a Les Paul with a built in Tascam interface, Cakewalk software and robotic tuners sometime in the future.

Gibson could buy Yamaha and McDonalds for all I care. These corporate acquisitions mean nothing to me. Can I still buy a Les Paul or an SG? I can? Okay good. And I'm still walking right past the Line 6 crap to get to the Marshalls, so it's no skin off my back.

Oh, great. Now Line 6 amps will triple in price, just because of the Gibson "halo" effect.

Hey, wait a minute. What do I care? I don't even LIKE Line 6 amps.

Gibson could buy Yamaha and McDonalds for all I care. These corporate acquisitions mean nothing to me. Can I still buy a Les Paul or an SG? I can? Okay good. And I'm still walking right past the Line 6 crap to get to the Marshalls, so it's no skin off my back.

Just hope that Gibson doesn't buy Marshall...

Good point! Today's best amps are coming from MB and Orange...

Meh, I don't know about that. They make some real crap too. Some of the lower level Orange stuff is garbage. I think with most big name amp companies you get what you pay for....except for Mesa. Everything they do is stupid expensive whether it sounds good or not. I think Marshall's modern problem is they've lost sight of what they are - big loud rock and roll amps. They've gotten way too cute over the past several years with dumb sig combos, one watters, and refrigerators. Dammit Marshall, just make affordable Plexis and JCM 800s. That's all you need to do! Every Marshall player on the planet is chasing those two sounds or a slightly modded version of those two sounds.

Maybe what Marshall needs IS a buyout. Look at what happened to Harley Davidson post AMF...

Not saying Mesa or Orange don't make junk, just that the best sounding amps I'm hearing built today are coming from them.

Maybe what Marshall needs IS a buyout. Look at what happened to Harley Davidson post AMF...

Unlikely. Marshall are still probably one of the most successful brands in the industry. Harley Davidson are.... well they are Harley Davidson...

It may happen but I don't think it would be soon or for the best.

Back