Line 6

Maybe what Marshall needs IS a buyout. Look at what happened to Harley Davidson post AMF...

Not saying Mesa or Orange don't make junk, just that the best sounding amps I'm hearing built today are coming from them.

What happened to Harley Davidson? Besides making the same junk bike for 100 years. :laughings:

From a business and popularity standpoint, Marshall is probably as good or better than ever. People still want them. They're still very popular. I just wish they'd stick to making the classics at an affordable price point and ease up on the silly novelties and useless combos. There is absolutely no reason a new Plexi reissue or JCM 800 reissue should cost $2400 new. Those amps are primitive. There's nothing to them. The JVM 410 is also $2400, but that amp is like NASA mission control compared to a 1959 or 2203 circuit. I just think Marshall's priorities are out of whack right now....except for when it comes to making big bucks.

I guess so. I just KNOW they could make the JCM 800 and Super Lead at a much lower price because there's truly nothing to those amps. I think they'd sell a ton of them.

I'm hot in the market for a JCM 800. It would complete my collection. I'm looking for used unmolested vertical input originals or used reissues because there's no fucking way I'm paying $2400 for a new reissue. Not a chance. Not a single solitary fucking chance in hell.

There was one on eBay for $1600 (1966 vintage)...don't know if it's still there, but I saw it and passed (I'm not in the market to spend $1600 on an amp and sleep on the couch for the next two years...)
Guitar Center in Lynnwood, WA had one for $1300, but I think my brother was after that (lives in Spokane)...might be worth a chance call their way.

I guess so. I just KNOW they could make the JCM 800 and Super Lead at a much lower price because there's truly nothing to those amps. I think they'd sell a ton of them.

I'm hot in the market for a JCM 800. It would complete my collection. I'm looking for used unmolested vertical input originals or used reissues because there's no fucking way I'm paying $2400 for a new reissue. Not a chance. Not a single solitary fucking chance in hell.

One of the problems you have is our exchange rate aint helping you. You could snag one here a lot cheaper but by the time you do the exchange rate shipping and taxes it's not worth selling in the states for a lot of British made stuff. 10 years ago even I was shipping guitars out there and I'm just a boutique builder. It just wouldn't be viable right now.

There was one on eBay for $1600 (1966 vintage)...don't know if it's still there, but I saw it and passed (I'm not in the market to spend $1600 on an amp and sleep on the couch for the next two years...)
Guitar Center in Lynnwood, WA had one for $1300, but I think my brother was after that (lives in Spokane)...might be worth a chance call their way.
I'm talking about JCM 800s. They weren't around in 1966 and I already have a Super Lead. But for that amp, a JTM45 is probably what it was, $1600 is a damn good price. Those early Marshalls have gone past vintage tone value and are now legit pieces of rock and roll history. I'm not interested in history. I'm interested in balls-to-the-wall rock and roll tone, which is hard to find in modern amps. Mesa makes high quality amps, but for my ears and money, they don't even come close to the sonic blast of a Marshall. $1300 would be the absolute most I'd spend for an original 81-84 model JCM 800. I see one up in Lufkin, Tx, about 2-3 hours from me for 1350. That's about what a clean unmodded original JCM 800 2203 goes for on the high end. That's a realistic price. The 1500-1600 and up "buy it now" pricing you see on ebay is inflated. No one's getting that much unless the amp is mint and the buyer is uninformed or desperate or just doesn't care about a deal. For a clean reissue, I'd pay around $1000-1100. Back on topic, I'd pay $0 for anything from Line 6.

One of the problems you have is our exchange rate aint helping you. You could snag one here a lot cheaper but by the time you do the exchange rate shipping and taxes it's not worth selling in the states for a lot of British made stuff. 10 years ago even I was shipping guitars out there and I'm just a boutique builder. It just wouldn't be viable right now.

Buy me an 800 and I'll pay for you to ship it here. we both win! :D

I've had 2 Marshall 100 watters. The first one was one of those old ones that didn't have any type of master volume or pre gain. Like a dumb ass I sold it in the late 70's and jumped on the solid state amp band wagon because you could get crunch at low volume. Soon everyone, including me, was sick of that shitty gazoo sounding crunch and back in the tube amp market. I bought a Marshall jmp amp that had a master volume. Unfortunately a band I was playing with had a bunch if equipment stolen out if our practice building and the jmp head was swiped.

They were Borg damn fine sounding amps.

Back