How much money do you have invested in your studio?

How much have you spent on your studio??

• $0-$500

Votes: 74 6.9%
  • $501-$1000

Votes: 115 10.7%
  • $1001-$3000

Votes: 235 21.8%
  • $3001-$5000

Votes: 176 16.4%
  • $5001-$10,000

Votes: 180 16.7%
  • $10,001-$20,000

Votes: 116 10.8%
  • $20,001-$50,000

Votes: 95 8.8%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 29 2.7%
  • $100,001+

Votes: 23 2.1%
  • Can't say.... my wife might see this....

Votes: 33 3.1%

• Total voters
Since I switched to laptop-based recording, the number has changed! But I don't know what it is... time to have fun tallying my gear :D

Including the powerBook and monitor, $7,140. With instruments, tack on another $4250

And this doesn't include stands, cables, PA equipment, and any other gear that has come and gone (either by way of sale or trash can :p)

So, around 11,400 dollars. Huh.

And I wanna get a nice, balanced sounding acoustic in the next year... I can't stop guys.

we have to draw a line in the dirt eventually, or else we'll be drinking wine on the streets as our new hobbie.

i guess it depends.

Modified amount

Just completed building a studio when I moved houses, so that's another $58k to add to the tally :eek:

Dags (will work for food) ;)

I was pretty surprised to find out I'm towards the upper end of average with my current setup! I suppose the new laptop put me over the edge quite a bit. Don't regret it for one second though :)

equipment wise, i have hardly paid a thing. My setup is also rarely used... possibly due to how bad it is. i've got a pentium 3 1ghz computer with two hard drives that are far too small, and 4 identical sound cards. I also built a 4 channel mixer from a kit, but modified it to have a very basic pad-like switch for adjustable sensitivity, and added independant outputs for each channel, allowing real multi channel recording instead of a single combined mono input.

Last edited:
Update. Bought an Aurora 8 and AES16 card. Then had to buy a Central Station for monitors and headphones (because the Aardvark Q10 I'm replacing had those facilities built in). Then had to buy another rack for the Aurora (it runs hot so I want to give it some breathing space - which means 3 RU of space). More money (@$2900) into the black hole. But the cables were free! :D

Ya know, it's always something.

Oops, forgot. I now also need a midi interface to connect my control surface as I lost that with the Aardvark too.

Sigh.

Last edited:
I'm having a workshop custom built so I think that will kick it up 40-60k in a few months here.

Right there with you. half way through building a live room in our new house right now. Next comes the control room, drum Isolation room and a vocal booth. The whole project will stretch quite some while.

F.S.

Just starting...

IMAC 20" 2.4 Ghz/2 MB/320 MB HD
M-Audio Axiom 49 Midi Controller
Pro tools LE W/mbox 2 mini

Korg D3200

Cheep Pres--2 ART MP Studios and 1 Audio Buddy

Sterling Audio ST55 and 2 ST33
Audix Cardoid
Avant Electronics 5 piece drum mic kit

KRK RP-5s

T

You have to include instruments too! Is that even if you played guitar before you started recording?

Man I don't want to know how much that all is. (ignorance is bliss)

I forgot to include my headphones/headphone amp too.

I don't want to know, LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!

I marked 3001-5000 because I've spent 3200 so far on the studio, but if you count instruments, that's another 2500 on my drums. That goes up into the next category ;)

It's been awhile since i have seen this thread, last time i responded it jumped up from about $1000 to 2500. Now i'd guess i'm about $3000+ deep. I'm sure that will jump atleast a grand in the next year (i'm still in school) but my goal is to not spend more the $7000-8000 total as of now. I have all the equipment i need, must the gear i want interms of actually making music, i just need to address things like better preamps, a better/larger mixer, and better converters. I don't see a whole lot of expansion, more just improving weak links.

I added it up in my head really fast and I end up with about $6,000 worth of stuff I've bought or rented over the last 7 years, a lot of which I either don't have or just don't use anymore.

I don't use half this stuff most the time. The Digi001 doesn't get used at all anymore and the Digi002 rack only gets used if I am recording the band live. My favorite interface as a singer/songwriter is my Mbox and ibook.

That's painful to look at, especially now that I know I could have basically done pretty much everything I need to do on the Mbox with an SM7b and SM81.......

I could have bought a used truck...........

and I'm still no semblance of an audio engineer....

bilco

About $7500 in gear (pc, software, amps, monitors, mixers, etc.)

About $500 in room treatment (acoustic foam, bass traps, diffusers, etc.)

Another $6000 in instruments (electric guitars, acoustics, basses, keyboards)

Geez, 14K

Don't tell my wife

Back