How much money do you have invested in your studio?

How much have you spent on your studio??

• $0-$500

Votes: 74 6.9%
  • $501-$1000

Votes: 115 10.7%
  • $1001-$3000

Votes: 235 21.8%
  • $3001-$5000

Votes: 176 16.4%
  • $5001-$10,000

Votes: 180 16.7%
  • $10,001-$20,000

Votes: 116 10.8%
  • $20,001-$50,000

Votes: 95 8.8%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 29 2.7%
  • $100,001+

Votes: 23 2.1%
  • Can't say.... my wife might see this....

Votes: 33 3.1%

• Total voters
$3K - $5K I guess. Probably closer to $10K when I have what I want to have.

Avenson STO-2 - MSRP $550 - Used $450
Korg MR-1000 - MSRP $1,200 - Used $770
Studiophile BX8's - MSRP $600 - Used $300 (for the pair)
Sanyo FH1 - MSRP $500 - WalMart Employee Discount $480-ish after taxes + shipping + ....
M-Audio Delta 44 - MSRP $250-ish - Used $100
Presonus HP4 - MSRP $100-ish - New $100-ish
Cables + nick nacks - $300-ish (at least)
(and other gear I've bought used and sold at costs along the way)

Total - $2,500 (my price) - $3,500 MSRP

And I'm still in need of a battery powered external microphone preamp - $1,000+. More high end microphones - $3,000-ish. A pro grade camcorder - $4,000. And various batteries, lenses, storage capacities, tripods and accessories. Easily $10K+ within the next five years. Now to just find something worth recording.... Here kitty kitty kitty....

Just added a Mackie 24.8. Got it used, but in new condition, so not sure how much value it would add. Was $5000 new, but I only paid $600 with the meter bridge. So does I guess it doesn't increase the value of what I have by $5000, but instead by the $600 I spent on it?

Ultimate analog gearslut

With my latest ebay bill I just passed $115,000.00 for vintage analog equipment. I still have $65,000.00 budgeted for the building. See albroanalogaudio.com for details.
dennis

Wow, I could've sworn I posted in this thread years ago, but a search turns up nada. Ok, here's round terms:

mics: $6,700
preamps:$5,925
misc. rack gear: $3,375
Voltage reg./power conditioners:$600
Recorders/Interfaces:$4,550
Cables:$1,500
Cans:$500
Monitors: $700
computer: $2,250
CD/ Vinyl to CD duplicators: $425
mic/guitar/music/amp/speaker stands,shock mounts, mic clips,road cases, etc:approx. $2,500
room conditioning materials/furniture/lighting:$1,700
CD-R's/jewel cases (just the ones on hand)- $200
racks: /road racks-$400
amps/cabs etc:$1,100
guitars/basses/cases: $7,000

Grand total: $39,425

What does all this tell me? I need better A-D conversion! (and yeah, I know my monitors are cheap, but I understand them)-Richie

Lesse here...

- TASCAM 414 mkii (now broken): ~100
- TASCAM 414: ~100
- TASCAM US1641 + Cubase LE: ~350 (I use a laptop I already owned)
- TASCAM Porta02 (also broken :rolleyes:): free
- Yamaha mixing board: ~150 (shopping at Mom & Pop stores is nice, but expensive...)
- Shure SM57 (x2): ~150
- MXL 4000: ~160
- Sony headphones: ~100
- A few cheaper mics, stands, cables, tape, etc.: ~200

That's about $1300, but I probably have double that in guitars, amps and effects. A lot of my things were gifts, too. I subscribe heartily to the "less is more" theory, mainly beacuse I work for minimum wage and have a girlfriend. :cool:

Things I will be getting soon:

- My friend's drumset
- A pair of overhead mics for said drumset
- Some monitors, 'cause my mixes are sounding like ass when I use headphones
- Either fixing one or both of my broken Portastudios, and in all likelihood, ending up buying a 424 or a 488. I have a feeling I'll be collecting the damn things.
- More damn songs to play and record. :)

Haven't done this for a while but I tallied up the software only today and it rang in at £7024.48, hardware and acoustic treatment probably another £5K or above....

£12K+ in the last 8 years and I'm just about to move to a new house and restart a new studio build. I know I'm mental but I can't help myself. I love this shit!

Haven't done this for a while but I tallied up the software only today and it rang in at £7024.48, hardware and acoustic treatment probably another £5K or above....

£12K+ in the last 8 years and I'm just about to move to a new house and restart a new studio build. I know I'm mental but I can't help myself. I love this shit!

How much is all that in real money?
I tell you I have hundreds of thousands of dollars US invested my only problem is when I die who do I will it to?

How much is all that in real money?
I tell you I have hundreds of thousands of dollars US invested my only problem is when I die who do I will it to?

Real money £1 = $1.65 so £10K = $16,500

My son is 15, been playing the guitar for about 4 years and is getting interested in the recording side now so I don't have a problem with wondering who it goes to when I die. He's got it all well taxed :D

Lets see im only 24 years old and I got
- Headback Acoustic designed studio materials + design fee *free labor** = 4,000
- Pro tools Mbox pro = 250, LOL yea i gota crazy deal from craigs list
- Safe sound P1 = around 700
- MXL - Genesis Mic = around 600
- Computer = 2G's
- Yamahaw HS 80's = 550
- Desk - 300
- Artwork - 200

and im thinkin ill be adding around 10,000 more next year my wishlist is as follows

- Apogee DA-16X - 3k
- Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8M Mono - 1.2k
- Mackie Control Universal Pro - 1.2 k
- Mackie Control Extender Pro x2 - 1.4k
- Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5012 or PreSonus ADL 600 - both around 2k
- F12 Direct Servo subwoofer - 800
- and I cant decide on my mic cause there are 2 many good ones.

(I think I might have an addiction)

www.citydumprecords.com

How much?

too much! originally digital recording was a blessing to pro musicians and hobbyists alike but like all new things that show promise in a material world it has been swallowed up and prostituted by capitalistic money grabbers to a point where now the cost curve has turned the other way and soon even basic gear will be priced out of reach for the average enthusiast. notice the defining line between entry level and pro equipment? in reality it probably costs just as much for the pro level equipment that would accomplish true studio quality results as it always has. meanwhile each new day brings the latest, revolutionary software that can make you and your band the next beatles! what has changed in the music recording business is this. record companies used to sign talent, record it, pay disk jockeys to play it and, based on public reation, distribute it for sale. the artist rarely was paid anything for their efforts and most wound up back where they started! nowdays you buy your own recording gear, record yourself and your band and post it on the internet for free rip and burn. you still wind up the same, broke!!

The results may be misleading if you've been recording for years like I have. It's a bit like those studies that show that if you live to be 70 and get on average 8 hours a night sleep, you'll spend something like 3 years asleep !
It looks like we spend huge amounts on our passion....but if you think about it, things wear out, things get upgraded, we experiment with different gear etc, etc. Spread over 5, 10, 15, 20, 25+ years, it's not as much as it looks on first glance. Of course it can be a problem but it's not a foregone conclusion that we're gear junkies !

(4) Akai DR16 Recorder
(3) Akai DR8 Recorder (in storage)
(1) DD-1000 Recorder
(1) DL1500 Akai Recorder Controller
(1) Tascam 244 (in storage)
(6) Tascam TMD1000 mixer
(1) Tascam TMD4000 mixer
(1) Fostex 450-16 Console (in storage)

(2) Event 20/20 (in storage)
(2) JBL 4311 (in storage)
(5) Minimus-7's (in storage)
(1) Subwoofer (forget brand)
(2) Pioneer Studio Monitors (6" woofers, not sure what model)
(1) Aiwa SC-C1000 center speakers (reloaded)
(4) Aiwa SX-1000 speakers (reloaded)
(2) Big speakers of some kind (reloaded)

Numark CDN-88
Numark CM-1000R

(2) Alesis RA100 amp
(1) Alesis RA250 amp
(1) Peavey CS800 amp (in storage)
(1) Peavey CS1000 amp (in storage)

(5) Unitor8 Midi Interface
(2) Amt8 midi interface
(3) Motu 2408 (not a MK II or III)

Korg EX800
Korg M3RU
Peavey Spectrum Bass
EMU Proteus 1000
Roland MDC1
Yamaha MU90R
Korg Triton-Rack
(2) Roland S-550
(2) Akai S-700
Roland MKS100
EMU Procussion
Akai XE8
Kurzweil PX1000
Casio VZ10M
Casio VZ8M
(2) Yamaha TG55
Yamaha TG77
Kawai R100
Roland TR505 (hey, it's cute!)
Roland PD-something pad controller
Roland Octapad
EMU Procussion
(2) Alesis D4
(2) simmons drumkits to trigger above
(7) random electronic drum pads to trigger above
(1) roland digital hi-hat to trigger above

Yamaha PF85
Roland D10
Roland D50
Fender Chroma Polaris (v1.0 with the pathetic midi implementation)

360 Systems Midi Patcher
Akai ME10D
(2) Motu 7S Midi controlled Line Mixer
Fostex 2050
JLCooper MSB+
JLCooper Cuepoint

(2) Rolls 8x2 line mixer
Oz Audio HR4 headphone amp
Behringer Virtualizer Pro
Behringer Ultracurve Pro
Behringer Composer Pro
(2) Yamaha R100
Yamaha REX50 (storage)
Alesis Midiverb III
Alesis Quadraverb
(2) Art FXR Elite
Roland VP70
Ross Digital EQ
Zoom Studio 1202
Symetrix 488
Chandler Tube Driver Guitar Preamp

Acoustic 270
Acoustic 204
Fender Cybertwin
Various Crate mini-amps, maybe four or five
Ibanez Artist Pro
Casio Midi Guitar (don't laugh, it's quite playable)
Fender Prophecy Bass
Hondo steinberger headless copy
Fender 5-string Jazz Bass
The usual plethora of instruments - flute, clarinet, couple of violins, a baritone, all of which are "student" grade, leftovers from high school 25 years ago.

Miles of wires...
20+ ADC Patch bays... some of which I have to solder in still.

Lots of low-end "multipack" mikes - samson, shure, MXL, etc
AKG C 414
Rode Mic - N2? I don't use it that much so I can't remember what it is at the moment.

And there's lots of stuff in the attic I don't use hardly at all, so I can't remember what it all is. Lots of analog stuff up there - smallish mixers (like the samson MPL2242, I think I still have one), couple of old reel to reel four tracks, various guitar pedals of all different kinds and types, etc.

Yeah, I'm a former gear slut. As you can see from the vintage of most of this stuff, other than the AKG mic most everything else is ooooooooold.

Some of this stuff was bought brand spanking new, probaly more than have of it was through aggressive ebaying. I used to hunt down no-reserve auctions and go nuts.

And Grim is right, while the dollars we spend seem like a lot, spread over decades it's not really that much.

Sadly, I probably spent 2:1 on car stuff as compared to studio stuff over the same time period.

I'm poor now so I'm not spending much at all.

I'm poor now so I'm not spending much at all.
:laughings: :)
Gordon Bennett !
I live in a small two bedroom flat with my wife and two kids. Our saving grace is that there's an upstairs and a downstairs. All your stuff wouldn't fit in our tiny pad !
A burglar would have apoplexy if they saw all your stuff ! :D

Wow... I didn't feel as bad as I did a while ago lol. I can't believe I'm in the 5000-10000 range... I've collected a lot of shit and I do all this just for fun lol.

I think I have invested close to $20000 on my studio.

I have sold and bought back the same gear so many times. I have also went software and then went back to hardware only to go software again. :laughings:

I have wasted a ton of money over the years,but I have made it back also.

Poor man's studio

Wow I have really not thought about how much money I've got tied up in this stuff until I took the poll. When you add up everything over the past few years it gets pretty costly - even for my small setup.

Pretty easy to get up there fast.. Doesn't seem so bad buying 1 thing at a time. Using a PC + software + interface is easy to get over 4k. Add in Mics + instruments + room treatments + effects processors.. I guess thats the good thing about computer based recording, you can get along with not very much and add components as they are needed / can be afforded.

Back