Death defying!

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
HERE is a picture of me hanging waaaaaay out off of a balcony to position a stereo microphone to capture a three day show.

Mucho rep for using the word baluster.
Not enough people use that word.

I almost used Newel for they are very large balusters ..... don't know if you can see that in the picture or not but they are huge! Could barley get my foot around it.

They look highly polished and slippery too. That's why I said I hope you had your foot tied down! :eek:

It's probably a 200 yr old baluster at that. Not sure if I'd trust it.

That room looks horrible to mix in. Can imagine the reverb.

It's probably a 200 yr old baluster at that. Not sure if I'd trust it.

That room looks horrible to mix in. Can imagine the reverb.

Yes a very old venue. And wasn't all that bad acoustically once the house filled.
Doing the live sound mix and the recording has it's benefits.

Blimey ! That's the kind of thing I used to do 20 years ago putting up ropeswings on the adventure playgrounds I worked on. But I wouldn't go to those heights now ! I was just looking at a couple of old pics of me then. Those heights make me dizzy just looking at them. You're a gutsier man than I.

Blimey ! That's the kind of thing I used to do 20 years ago putting up ropeswings on the adventure playgrounds I worked on. But I wouldn't go to those heights now ! I was just looking at a couple of old pics of me then. Those heights make me dizzy just looking at them. You're a gutsier man than I.

I've always worked in heights. Paratrooper in the service, up rigger on big national shows 60' to 90' up in the air and now mild mannered trapezes recordist.

Hindsight is great: wouldn't it have made more sense to make the adjustments on the boom from the balcony, then swing it out into place?

We won't mention the Health and Safety fines you would get if you were seen dong this by an inspector, or the fines the venue or you would get if you fell (assuming you were alive to pay the fines).

Alan.

Back