Wow.......

tryptophan

OPINION:

Hey, guys. I just got the Studio Projects JM27 and it is FANTASTIC. Highly recommended. Check it out and see for yourself. You're the final judge. If you are using the MXL line, or Nady, you're making a mistake in my opinion. Check it out.

doesn't the JM stand for Joe Meek?...

...the JM27 is a Joe Meek mic (distributed by the same folks as Studio Projects, PMI Audio)...and is probably (if not exactly) the same as the MXL and Nady equivalent...
http://www.joemeek.com/jm27.html

Last edited:
tryptophan said:
OPINION:

Hey, guys. I just got the Studio Projects JM27 and it is FANTASTIC. Highly recommended. Check it out and see for yourself. You're the final judge. If you are using the MXL line, or Nady, you're making a mistake in my opinion. Check it out.
And you know people are "making a mistake" because you've directly compared the JM27 to....?

looks identical (externally at least) to the ADK SC-1 that I'm looking to buy (which nobody seems to know anything about).. I guess that doesnt really mean anything though.. I guess they just use the same outer shell.. :confused:

SC1.jpg

http://www.adkmic.com/specs/SC-1.html

EDIT*
hmm.. looks like the MXL 991 has the same shell too.. I know SHIT about mics in case it isnt obvious ;)

tryptophan said:
to............

To everything, idiot.

Everything? Like what? (personal experience, please, and direct comparisons.)

I guess that means you've listened to the JM27 directly against the SP C4, the Nady CM-90 and CM-95, and the MXL 600, the 603, the 604, the 990, and the 991?

tryptophan said:
to............

To everything, idiot.

Do you know who you are talking to???Harvey is one of the brightest minds in Audio Engineering, and a good man, on top of that. First you come out and make a blanket statement that those who buy a certain type of microphone are making a mistake....And THEN you call Harvey Gerst whos name is splattered all over the internet on audio forums, is known worldwide, and has been nothing but helpful here an IDIOT??WTF??Assclown. Go back in your cave, jackass. :mad: Google Harvey's name. Now google yours. There you go.
And who makes you an authority on microphones that you can say people are making mistakes with a purchase??I try not to be confrontational , but that was ridiculous. You need to show respect for the Older and Wiser souls here. Without them, none of us would know jack shit. Dear God. :rolleyes: Sorry Harvey.

Teddy

tryptophan said:
to............

To everything, idiot.
How does it stack up to the Neumann u47 and the Royer Ribbon or AKG c12?

Or maybe the Soundfield?The Studio Projects C1??c4???MBHO Ka series??

If youve compared it to everything, that must have taken a massive effort.

No wonder you havent had time to develop social skills and a little bit of good sense on how to talk to people..

I am anxious to see the results, as well as sound clips from each comparison.

Hey Brandon...You cant go wrong with ADK mics either. Their head guy, JP Gerard is a real mic genius. ADK's customer service is second to none. Pop your head in on the ADK Forums. JP Hangs out there. VERY smart guy. What is more...ADK has a custom shop where they will enhance their project lines to match criteria that you dictate to them.
http://www.adkmic.com/forum/

seriously..you cant go wrong with ADK..the SC-T is great.
For Overheads, Hi-Hat, Snare Drum, Acoustic Instruments such as Guitar, Piano, etc. New version with 10 dB and Dual Capsule allows for Spaced Omni and XY (Decca Tree).

brandon9271 said:
looks identical (externally at least) to the ADK SC-1 that I'm looking to buy (which nobody seems to know anything about).. I guess that doesnt really mean anything though.. I guess they just use the same outer shell.. :confused:

SC1.jpg

EDIT*
hmm.. looks like the MXL 991 has the same shell too.. I know SHIT about mics in case it isnt obvious ;)

thanks BigRay! not to hijack the thread but I'm looking to buy the studio A Twin pack.. which is the A-51 and SC-1 together. It'll be my first set condenser mics and all I can afford for a while.. I check out the ADK forum thanks!

brandon9271 said:

SC1.jpg

EDIT*

It's also the same shell as the Nady CM-90. Same four slits in the same place on the body, same body shape, same slope near the mic connector, same placement of the set screw that holds the mic connector in, same location of all of the lettering, same lettering style for "ADK" on that one and "CM-90" on my Nady.

The only two differences I see are that the grille on the front is different (the Nady has a flat grille on the tip instead of the curved front piece) and that the lettering for "Nady" (which is located where the model number is on the ADK) is in the same font style as the ADK logo (albeit a little smaller point size) instead of being in a solid sans-serif type.

I wouldn't be surprised if (care in weeding out rejects notwithstanding) the guts are as similar as the cases....

I think if you asked PMI nicely they would mail you a job application, so you can take off the kneepads now!

That mic is made by the same company in China that makes the MXL603s, the Joe Meek JM27, The ADK SC-1, Nady CM-90, etc. I've taken them apart and its the same circuit in each one!

Go eat some more turkey and take a nap!

Oh, and don't ever talk like that to Harvey again!!!

brandon9271 said:
hmm.. oddly enough these look identical as well... :confused: just because they have the same shell doesnt mean the electronics are the same correct? surely the shells are made in China but perhaps the inards are upgraded :confused:

Maybe.... It's very possible that some of those manufacturers who build mics for a number of companies might be presented with different specs and might be using parts with tighter tolerances when slapping certain names on the case. I kind of doubt it, though. :rolleyes:

brandon9271 said:

That second one, the MXL 603S, even has the same front end grille as the Nady CM-90. :D

Did anyone notice tryptophan's signature? It links to Studio Project's homepage.
Now I've never used an SP or JM, or MXL microphone so I really don't care how good they are (I've heard that SP and MXL mics are good for the money though), but this reeks of a shill.

BTW, tryptophan - Since you compared the microphone to "everything" how does it compare to a TOA K1? (my first condenser microphone, I still use it for mic'ing my acoustic guitar live)

I wish Dragon would do something about Diptophan. All I can say is, I've considered a SP mic, but gomers like Diptophan doing what they're doing, makes me think twice.

Besides, I certainly don't want to give hard currency to the People's Liberation Army.

;)

gordone said:
Did anyone notice tryptophan's signature? It links to Studio Project's homepage.

Have you kept track of how every post from him is like a commercial for Studio Projects? I honestly think he's going to expect residual checks in the mail, or free mics.

Now, I have Studio Projects mics and have no hesitation in buying anything from them, but to chime in everywhere saying that a $100 mic is the end all, be all, just as good as a vintage mic is just inane and pathetic. Worse than that, its just annoying!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've met the Hyatts and don't let this goober be a reflection on them!

Back