Wondering the quality of a road snake

Pro Tools User

Hi again all,

For those of you who are using outboard pres along with your PT rig, what are you using to tame your mic cables from looking like sht basically lol. I already have enough of a mess just in power cords. I dont have a seperate control room yet and wont for sometime, just tryin to get the gear together then worry about a place. I now have 14 mic inputs (yeah can ya dig it) and was looking into getting a 16 channel snake with a xlr/input box to put on the floor. In the future I was thinking I could mount this in the live room. Im pretty sure I want to go this route so everything is connected thru the snake and the box/with 4 returns.

For now I have to crawl behind my desk that dont move to plug in a mic channel and I dont like to have them there hanging while not in use so its a pain in the azz. If you guys can give me some suggestions on whats out there for me to use would be very helpful. I have searched on ebay and found some snakes with the input box for some decent prices but these seem to be for live sound. (long as crap). I was thinking no more then 50 feet or is this even too long. I definately dont want the length to effect my signal. My system is growing faster then my knowledge so please give me some help on whats out there for me to use. Im sure I will probably be posting again tryin to get my patchbay set up too. So if you have any helpful links that would be great also thanks fellas.

Example of what I was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41461&item=3745984036&rd=1

Eddie

Ideally what you have is wall panels wired through the wall into a patchbay. That way no matter where you plug in the live room, you can route to any pre you want.

If you have an all-in-one room, like I do, you can use the snake approach (50' snakes do exist), or you can put XLR panels right on the side of your rack case/desk. That's what I did.

You don't have much to worry about with balanced signals and cable length, provided that the cable and especially connectors are decent quality, there should be no sound degradation in 50'.

mshilarious said:
Ideally what you have is wall panels wired through the wall into a patchbay. That way no matter where you plug in the live room, you can route to any pre you want.

If you have an all-in-one room, like I do, you can use the snake approach (50' snakes do exist), or you can put XLR panels right on the side of your rack case/desk. That's what I did.

You don't have much to worry about with balanced signals and cable length, provided that the cable and especially connectors are decent quality, there should be no sound degradation in 50'.
Ty thats what I was looking for, gonna go for the 50' one.

I use a 100 ftr.

i did a shootout between just direct and using the 100 ftr.

I noticed an ever so slight difference about 20% of the time.

I need the 100ft to get to the third floor from my basement so thats a keeper wether i like it or not though.

As for 50 ft? Looks like ill be buying one of those real soon to get to the second floor. Good tip MS.

Back