Why Line6 Sucks!!!

Easy - because if I'm after three sounds, it's not too hard to find an amp that can do all three of them, especially if those three sounds happen to be something that's largely associated with a single company. ;) So, I "haul" one amp around.

With the Variax, your mileage may of course vary, but there's more to having multiple guitars than the fact they sound different, I think. I've noticed that I tend to play very differently when I pick up my Strat than when I pick up my roommate's Les Paul, or when I pick up my Universe, or when I pick up a Telecaster, or when I pick up my acoustic. I think the way certain guitars lend themselves differently to different techniques - the neck profile on a Tele just owning for compound bends, for example - is half the fun of owning them, too.

So, even before we start talking about the differences in sound quality (and the masses may not know the difference, but I suspect I would), I think there are enough reasons that I'd rather own my Roadster, a Strat, and an Universe, vs a Variax and a Pod.

I have a name, you know, by the way... ;)

Exactly right! I'd rather have one T-Bone steak than 20 Bologna sandwiches even if they throw in the pickles and chips. :D

Exactly right! I'd rather have one T-Bone steak than 20 Bologna sandwiches even if they throw in the pickles and chips. :D

Its hard to deciper if the Line6 is the steak in your metaphor or not

I have Tech21 stuff and it will do only 3 different amps...and it is my prefered modeling amp because it uses switches to route the signal through analog electronics that do the models.

Sure it still isnt having a Twin and a Marshall and a Mesa...but it is easier to carry arround.

Its hard to deciper if the Line6 is the steak in your metaphor or not

I have Tech21 stuff and it will do only 3 different amps...and it is my prefered modeling amp because it uses switches to route the signal through analog electronics that do the models.

Sure it still isnt having a Twin and a Marshall and a Mesa...but it is easier to carry arround.

I think he's saying he'd rather have one chunk of meat that kicks ass rather than 20 things where you're not quire sure what's in it but you're pretty sure it's meat, more or less...

I've got a Tech-21 Trademark 30 as a practice/going over to a buddy's place to jam amp. Actually, it's really more of a going over to a buddy's place to jam amp because my Mesa rig sounds so good I just practice through that too. :D

Anyway, their stuff kicks ass.

I think he's saying he'd rather have one chunk of meat that kicks ass rather than 20 things where you're not quire sure what's in it but you're pretty sure it's meat, more or less...

I figured that he would rather have a piece meat teaming with flavors than a bunch of one trick ponies...with thier tough meat there is a reason we dont eat ponies in the US anymore.:p

I love having options...I have 13 guitars in my collection and I added a Variax 700 recently...partially because of the ammount of session players that are using them

Yeah, old thread, but I want to add something in case somebody finds it in a search about the Variax acoustic.

A couple of years ago, I bought what I guess is now a discontinued line - I think it was the Variax 500. Cost about $600. I had an issue with one of the individual string pickups shorting out, so I contacted Line6, they told me to send it to Fort Worth (nearest service center), they paid for the shipping, and it was back in 3 days.

When I got it back, within 1 hour, 2 other string pickups were shorting out, and I was pissed. I contacted Line6 again, they told me to return the guitar to them, and within 4 days, they replaced it with an Acoustic 700 (which sells for $1,200). I thought it was a great gesture, and I tend to let people know whenever these discussions come up.

As far as the Variax Acoustic being a "dumb idea," all I can say is that I've played live for over 20 years, most of them with an acoustic guitar in my hands, and I too have always hated the sound of a DI'd acoustic electric...which is why I got this guitar. Of course, it sounds like an unplugged strat if you're playing it "acoustically," because it's an electric guitar. Through an amp, it's marginal at best. In fact, the first thing I did when I got it was to plug it into my Roland JC, and I was less than impressed.

Recorded direct, it's pretty good, but I'm a purist when it comes to acoustic instruments, so it's just not QUITE there.

Where it ABSOLUTELY SHINES is when you plug it into a PA directly. It sounds like a mic'd acoustic guitar...or like 20 of them, depending on what model you select. It sounds nothing like that shitty "DI'd Acoustic/Electric" tone that people get out of a Takamine on stage. And playing with a full band, the "no feedback" thing is a definite plus.

Anyway, it's the only Line6 anything I've ever bought, but I brag on it whenever I can.

Nothing will ever replace a good warm tube amp.

This is true. However, is anyone arguing this point?

I own and use several tube amps. I use SS amps as well. I also use a POD XT occasionally - when it gets me closer to the sound I'm looking for.

I'll wager if you listen to any of my songs you'll be unable to identify which amps are modeled and which aren't. Nobody else has so far, and I don't expect you'll be any different. I mean, since it's so obvious, they should jump right out at you.

Having great "tone" is a desireable thing, but it's meaningless outside of the context of the song and what the song needs. It's the height of foolishness to assume that an item has no value just because you can't find a use for it.

Having great "tone" is a desireable thing, but it's meaningless outside of the context of the song and what the song needs. It's the height of foolishness to assume that an item has no value just because you can't find a use for it.

Hear, hear.

ive got a friend who owns three line 6 amps. all of the bogner design tube amps, and all three of them have had the same problem. feedback!!!!!!!! even when a guitar is playing, no matter the settings or anything. i even used to own a line 6 bass pod pro i sold it to gc, cause it sucked and was not useful at all! there almost like dating a chick with fake tits. they look good until you hear how they sound! usually bitchy and screechy. hahahahaha

Back