What SPLS Block Size in REAPER?

What type of sound are you looking for?
Something really confident. Nothing weak or thin.

There's something slightly phasey about the Van Halen sample that doesn't quite match the original. Otherwise, tailoring the low end will bring it closer. A big part of that sound was the reverb.
Yeah, he was a cool cat. Gone too soon. My effects are bypassed.

I a about 3"out from the grill, which is 1/2" from the edge of speaker mount. Mote my mic is near the rim of the speaker when I angle it towards the coil
Ok let me get a picture one second. You are really describing this in detail. Make sure I have it close.

close.jpgfar.jpg

Last edited:
If I back the SM58 off 3" is it cool to replace the basket? It shouldnt effect the sound, or does it?

Is that the secret? No baskets?
I'll ask again, what is wrong with what you got? Those sounds are not weak or thin.

The basket is not the "secret", there is no secret. You already have a perfectly usable sound. You can stop looking for some magical technique that professionals don't want you to know.

Put those sounds that you have recorded into a mix, that's the only way you can know how the guitar needs to be processed to fit in the mix.

The basket is not the "secret", there is no secret. You already have a perfectly usable sound. You can stop looking for some magical technique that professionals don't want you to know.
My SPLS block size idea is not gaining traction is it? I'm telling ya' you get that block size perfect, the sound will be money!

The sample size isn't getting any traction because it has NOTHING to do with the overall sound. It's like saying how often you pay the rent. Every day, every week, every month. At the end of the month you've still spent the same amount of money. Just don't miss a payment and you'll be fine.

SPLS block size is part of my sound...

what is wrong with what you got?
Sometimes I think its cool, and I am getting close. You know? Then sometimes I don't. Like those first couple of listens on any recorded track. What I hear. I am so sensitive to.

Like here, I was going for the Best Of Both Worlds, EVH sound. It kinda does, and then not. That is where Im at . Feelin around the track space. Feeling it out.

Notice the 20-30ms digital strike delay?

Last edited:
Block size has no impact on sound quality - all it does it provide continuous digital data. In fact in the early digital days when we had DAT, it was quite scary to watch the error readout on my Panasonic DAT - if it hovered between 30 and 50 errors corrected each second, audio quality appeared 100% - yet out of those 44.1 thousand samples every second loads were actually replacements created in the machine. even a few hundred would pass with continuous audio. Then - it would just go dead where the drop out was - and the display would show a few thousands of failed repairs.

All the choices we make with block sizes and stuff like that are invisible adjustments - totally unheard. You've heard things and ascribed them to the wrong thing - it's not anything to do with adjusting block sizes in buffers.

Yes, I can hear the delay - assume you wanted this? Nothing sounds wrong with the track, certainly not 'boomy'.

Yes, I can hear the delay - assume you wanted this? Nothing sounds wrong with the track, certainly not 'boomy'.
It is in the EVH presets. I think it is to thicken the stereo chorus sound. If they are using these short delays, I want to preserve them as best as possible when multitracking. So Lowest SPLS size and least latency is paramount.

Screenshot 2021-06-07 083351.jpg

It is in the EVH presets. I think it is to thicken the stereo chorus sound. If they are using these short delays, I want to preserve them as best as possible when multitracking. So Lowest SPLS size and least latency is paramount.

View attachment 110131
The channel delay on your guitar preamp has nothing to do with the recording latency or SPLS size. You seem to be connecting things that have nothing to do with each other.

SPLS block size is part of my sound...

Sometimes I think its cool, and I am getting close. You know? Then sometimes I don't. Like those first couple of listens on any recorded track. What I hear. I am so sensitive to.

Like here, I was going for the Best Of Both Worlds, EVH sound. It kinda does, and then not. That is where Im at . Feelin around the track space. Feeling it out.

Notice the 20-30ms digital strike delay?

That's not the same sound you were using in Ain't Talking 'Bout Love. Let's try and focus on one thing at a time.

Wait. I turned the bypass off and add some effects. Same thing. It should be to a midi master BPM. The Roland rack effect is slave. The tempo is set iin the dAW, any latency will drift me further away. The chorus is sensitive to this, and it will not sound correct.

Is latency more delay in that situation? I say yes.

Last edited:
What did you bypass?

What does the tempo have to do with this?

What effect is the Roland giving you?

Tempo has nothing to do with latency.

That latency is the delay caused by you monitoring your guitar through the DAW. That delay doesn't get recorded.. Doesn't your interface have a direct monitoring option? Use that and you won't get any latency no matter how the DAW is set.

If the rest of the recorded material on the other tracks are at a master BPM tempo. Due to latency, the new recorded material get shifted in tens of ms. The Slave thinks it is in time. It would be like a second channel delay or 10-20 ms chorus.

5150 Drive, is the preset.

Somewhere I read that you can use a tape delay as a chorus/flanger. like..

0-2.5 ms is a hi flange
2.5- 10ms lo flange
10-40ms chorus
40-80ms is doubler
80- up is echos and delays

Last edited:
If the rest of the recorded material on the other tracks are at a master BPM tempo. Due to latency, the new recorded material get shifted in tens of ms. The Slave thinks it is in time. It would be like a second channel delay or 10-20 ms chorus.

5150 Drive, is the preset.

Somewhere I read that you can use a tape delay as a chorus/flanger. like..

0-2.5 ms is a hi flange
2.5- 10ms lo flange
10-40ms chorus
40-80ms is doubler
80- up is echos and delays
Again, tempo and latency are not related or connected.

BSG has the record latency answer.

What does tape delay have to do with this? FOCUS! What problem are we trying to help you solve?

Any delay can be used as a chorus/flanger as long as it has modulation (since chorus/flange are delay effects). Nothing special about a tape delay in that context.

What does tape delay have to do with this?
No, that data was suggesting it might be. If tape recording is like digital, then ms of delay could be like a chorus or flange.

If I manually correct the latency, I notice the numbers are slightly different each time I track something. It is correctable, but changes.

Hey man, Im just laying my cards out on the table. Figuring what is what. Yes, I am revisiting the same problems, but I feel that in my case they need more exploration. Thats it. Thats all.

No, that data was suggesting it might be. If tape recording is like digital, then ms of delay could be like a chorus or flange.

If I manually correct the latency, I notice the numbers are slightly different each time I track something. It is correctable, but changes.

Hey man, Im just laying my cards out on the table. Figuring what is what. Yes, I am revisiting the same problems, but I feel that in my case they need more exploration. Thats it. Thats all.

Sorry, but you are not making any sense. If you are indeed experiencing latency of recorded tracks (not just monitoring), then that latency should not vary from project to project - if you are experiencing a change in this track latency that is affected by the project's tempo, then you have a bad setting somewhere.

A ms delay is not 'chorus' or 'flange' which would also include modulation of the pitch (and EQ or volume).

Chorus, phasing or flanging only works when you combine a delayed signal with a non delayed one. Then the two, when summed, will cause things like comb filtering, where certain frequencies cancel and others reinforce. This doesn't happen with record latency, which is a one time delay of only the original signal.

Last edited:
Back