What SPLS Block Size in REAPER?

"Mointors?How bout these? I cannot see them being better then $1000 Klipsch monitors , but Amazon has a return policy. Give it a shot."

"Better" is subjective. Since your $1000 Klipsch speakers are lying to you and making it impossible for you get a good mix, that would make them junk for mixing purposes and any actual studio monitor that gives you an accurate enough picture for you to get a good mix would be better, no matter how much it cost.

I don't have any experience with these monitors, but they seem to get solid reviews. $100 is the lowest price I have ever seen on anything that claimed to be a studio monitor, but it's so cheap, it might be worth a shot. My Genelecs cost me $4000...

Mointors?How bout these? I cannot see them being better then $1000 Klipsch monitors , but Amazon has a return policy. Give it a shot.
View attachment 110193
Don't have time to look at the specs, but typically 3.5" speakers have no low end below 80Hz, so if you plan on making full band mixes with bass and kick drum, these will not allow you to hear the low end correctly.

Not all home stereo speakers are "hyped." It could be the room acoustics that's more to blame than the speakers. Whether or not you get proper studio monitors, it's worthwhile to treat the room to mitigate acoustics problems. If you're lucky, that will make the Klipsch speakers work. If not, well, you would have had to get monitors and treat the room anyway.

Could it be the finished radio sound Im looking for is a combination of effects used to push it up into the radio space? If so what effects?

What Im doing is just a normal raw sound?

As Jay says, that's for the mastering step. You shouldn't be applying EQ or compression to the whole mix at this point. Getting each recorded track to sound good and blend with the others is MIXING.

Have you considered using a white noise generator, setting up a mic, recording the sound you get in your room from the white noise through your speakers? Then put a graphic EQ or spectrum analyzer on the track and see what it looks like - its likely to be anything but flat.

As to monitors - what's your budget? Does the room have any acoustic treatment?
What is mastering? Could theese track be mastered in a simple process?

No acoustic treatment.

A white noise generator? You want me to setup the Aircleaner / Ionizer and turn it on next to microphone? The o2 line from an old CPAP at 6 LPM? Psshhh.

What is mastering? Could theese track be mastered in a simple process?

No acoustic treatment.

A white noise generator? You want me to setup the Aircleaner / Ionizer and turn it on next to microphone? The o2 line from an old CPAP at 6 LPM? Psshhh.

Mastering is the art of taking a mix and making it commercially ready for play, this could mean boosting volume, EQing and compression/limiting.

"No acoustic treatment" - do you mean you can't do it, you don't have it or refuse to believe it will do any good?

'White noise' should be 'pink' noise - no, not an air cleaner! An electronic program (or device) that produces pink noise. https://www.google.com/search?q=pin...&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on

Mastering is the art of taking a mix and making it commercially ready for play, this could mean boosting volume, EQing and compression/limiting.
Why cant that happen on the master track simultaneously as mixing? Put the effects there instead of on each track.
"No acoustic treatment" - do you mean you can't do it, you don't have it or refuse to believe it will do any good?
There is none applied.

Mastering is a separate process that was originally used to bring mixes together on an album to make them sound like they belong together as well as make them fit within the parameters of the medium they are being manufactured to (record, CD, cassette, etc..., each has it's own specific requirements and limitations) It tended to be done by a mastering engineer, a different guy from the one who mixed it, in a different room than it was mixed, listening for different things than one would while mixing.

When you mix, you should be worried about making all the parts fit together, can you hear all the parts, do all the sounds work together, do they all pull the song along, etc... When mastering, you are more worried about the overall tone of the mix, bringing it up to the volume you want it and making the transitions between songs sound right. (assuming more than one song) If it's going to be done by the same person that mixed it, in the same room it was mixed, you should at least come back later with a clear head so you can make decisions about the overall sound of the song instead of the individual parts.

There is nothing stopping you from putting the mastering processing on the master bus during mixing, but how do you know what that processing needs to be until you hear the mix? (Especially EQ, which will affect the compression and limiting) You end up chasing your tail a lot in that scenario.

Radio is kind of a crummy reference, since radio stations use all kinds of processing themselves. Every station's chief engineer does something a little different to make their station sound "better", louder, or what ever the goal is. Also, radio stations have been playing mp3's for a while now, so they don't even start with CD quality before it gets run through the EQ, phase rotator, multi-band limiters and whatever else they do to it before its encoded, run through the transmitter, picked up by your receiver, decoded and blasted into your car or untreated room. Don'e even get me started on how crappy sounding satellite radio is.

Something more attainable and more useful would be CD quality.

Most of the raw sounds you have a good, usable sounds. That isn't really your problem.

I resisted the idea of acoustic treatment for a long time (many do), even though I could hear the sound changing by moving my head around in the room - I could hear the low end bouncing around from a wood-paneled corner with a wood shelf above it. I tried all sorts of 'work arounds', some a little better than other, when tracking, but when mixing, I really could not hear things well through my 3" monitors (I used headphones too), I would make a ix, burn it to CD, then go listen in my truck or living room, remix based on what I heard, and do it all over again...and again... and again. Eventually I built some bass traps, and got monitors will some low end. What a difference!

Back