Shure Sm7b Problems

SpecialTricks

Hello, @everyone

''I have a Shure SM7B Vocal Dynamic Microphone and M-Track-Duo sound card and Presonus Hd9 headphones.
My problem is that even though I spent so much money on the microphone, when recording the sound, it both sounds scratchy and records very mini mini recording. If it were not for Adobe Audution, I cannot clean the sound without editing it in any other way.

Or I can't amplify it. What's the reason for that? Plus the acoustic panel and pop filter attached to the mic...
My goal is to make podcasts and get a good recording after a little processing without too much editing.
Also, I am participating in some webinars and my voice is very low. This is very annoying...

I wonder why.
Exactly how can I get efficiency from this microphone, I would appreciate it if you help me, friends.

I saw in foreign videos that you can unscrew the back of the ''Shure Smb7'' microphone and remove some tics inside and make some adjustments.

Apart from that, I installed "EqualizerAPO" and Peace Setup and corrected some values. ''S'' "P I've lowered the LERIs, or rather, I've lowered their value.

I made some adjustments to the bass settings to get a full sound, but no, there is no change as the guys explain in the videos, I don't know why.

Then I installed SteelSeriesgg, which is like Voice Meter but better than Voice Meter. It is very good for making my voice full, but as I said, I am exposed to noise and ambient sounds due to the lack of insulation in my room.

I followed the instructions in this video but it didn't make much difference.

I adjusted the frequencies. It's better than before, but still not what I wanted.
I don't want to overclock it.
I don't want 12k to go to waste.

Also in foreign videos they attach a device for the microphone, something like a priamp or amplifier, I think.

He sounds like glass.

It's legendary but I thought why can't I do that and I went and bought a Klark Teknik Mic Booster CM-1 model preamp. But again I couldn't get rid of the noise and ambient sounds.

When I turn up the gain from the sound card, there is a lot of crackling in my headphones and when I record, it turns into a noisy recording.

I used Obs and SteelSeriesgg's noise filter feature, but I still couldn't get good quality. When I record with Obs, it's choppy.

I don't know what to do. Should I isolate the environment and record or should I buy a new sound card that I can increase the gain?

Or should he isolate the room?

Should I choose a better sound card? Can I get a suggestion around 6-7k?
Like a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Gen 3 sound card?

It has its own gain feature.
Doesn't Cloudfilter and what I have serve the same purpose?
Both are called cloudfilter.

Their purpose is not different and the other product is called cloudfilter only....
WHAT I CALL A CRACKLE IS ACTUALLY AN AMBIENT SOUND.

It sounds like when you are recording a cassette tape, you can actually call it noise. It happens when I turn the signal/clip button too high. But when I turn it down, this time it gets low sound. I do a lot of cleaning while editing in Audition, but the sound is a bit muffled. So the sound drops.

I changed the cable, I don't think it's that. There's nothing wrong with our ground line. As for the Vocal Booth thing, I thought about it, but they're really expensive, especially in this economy, I can't afford them.
It is already beyond my budget. As I said, there is lava acoustic in terms of acoustic arrangement, but they don't serve everywhere and their products are very expensive....When you say noise gate, are you talking about an add-on or a device?

Can you recommend me a plugin, plugin, plugin, software, anything to enhance the sound, reduce noises, smooth out sounds like "p" "s" "s" "sh"?

I can get a few or a lot of suggestions?
In terms of software or plugins, maybe I can handle a lot of things. I've seen a few on YouTube.

I'm not talking about the free ones.
I would be grateful if you could recommend the paid ones.

They told me that the power of my sound card is not enough for my microphone. Now I don't know whether to change my microphone, change my sound card, change the preamp or what to do. If you help me, I want to get out of this dilemma.

These are the sound cards recommended to me;

+Ssl Solid State Logic - Ssl 2 + USB Sound Card
+Apollo Twin X DUO Sound Card Heritage Edition
+Audient iD14 MKII
+tc electronic Impact Twin

Should I upgrade the sound card?
They said there might be a problem with the cable and told me to buy klotz brand cable for 500 tl.
Some suggested me to use "fabfilter total bundle". Some said '' Apogee MIC PLUS 24-bit 96 kHz USB Microphone" brand microphone.
Some said '' Boom 3D Desktop" and some suggested "Izotope RX10".

As a result, my mind is confused.
How can I identify which problem I have now?
The things I have written may be related to each other.
There are too many articles, so I hope it won't confuse you.

1.If possible, I need a way to minimize the noise in real time with a software or plugin before going to adobe or editing, before cleaning it with adobe or any other software. If not possible, what ways can we apply?

To clean up "S" "P" sounds or exploding words and sounds without too much noise.

To get a full sound, you need to give the sound a saw-like pleasantness (epic or masculine), that is, to make the sound deeper.

Regulate the bass if some is too high, raise or lower the treble if it is too high or too low

Techniques for adjusting the bass of the sound, just like voice meter and steelseriesgg do

Noise removal, ambient noise removal, crackling, popping, clicking noise removal

The preamp I'm using has a gain of 25db, of course if I turn the signal/clip switch on my sound card all the way up the wuuuuuuu sound gets louder. How do we adjust this, how do we balance it?

8.Giving healthy gain to the voice, bringing all voices to the same level but giving power
(without distorting the sound)

9.When I clean too much, the quality of the sound drops and it becomes muffled and garbage.
How close should I get to the microphone and what criteria should I use when recording?

10.If there are plugins and presets to correct the sound, to make equalizer settings, to make a professional touch, share the links and download addresses with me, and if you use them in the video, I will ask you to explain their use in terms of beautifying the sound.

11.Amplify, deesser, dymanic proceesing, hard limiter, normalize, speec volume leveler, delete silence, fft filter, parametric equalizer, chorus, flanger, phaser, noise gate, noise reduction, hiss reduction, denoise, click remover, vocal enhancer, dereverb (delete echoes) reverb logic and in which situations it can be used.

12.To what extent can it be used in podcasts? Thickening if the sound is thin, lightening if it is thick ... Or turning it into a full sound like optimus prime are important issues for me. I hope they are not insurmountable.

13.If there are alternatives to the plugins that can be used for the filters, effects, or corrections I have mentioned, I would be glad if you can tell them and show them. Or you can explain which techniques or plugins are healthier. I work with Adobe Auduition, but if you say I will use another software, if there is a better software, we can install it and go over it.

14.After all, it will be a training according to my purpose. So I don't need to master all the features of the software. My goal is to be a good podcaster. For this, I have collected a 65 thousand TL computer and we are in the shipping phase. Obviously, I don't want to spend again because I bought the sound card and microphone 3-4 months ago without much research. Nevertheless, if this sound card and microphone do not solve our problem, I would like to know if something healthy does not come out with what you have described because of the microphone and sound card.

I'm ready to do whatever it takes.
I can get counseling if necessary. If it is in your field, of course...I would be happy if you get back.

I would try a different microphone, either borrow or buy one if you have to. You need to determine if the problem is in the microphone or signal chain.

Something that you mentioned: WHAT I CALL A CRACKLE IS ACTUALLY AN AMBIENT SOUND.

If what you say is true, then you can buy the best mic or preamp in the world and it won't fix that problem. You basically have two avenues to take. 1) remove or minimize the ambient sound 2) Use software to remove the sound .

Cleaning up the sound at the source can be done with better isolation, and by getting close enough to the mic to give a stronger "signal" relative to the ambient "noise". Getting closer to an SM7B will also add some low end weight to the voice due to proximity effect. That's useful to give the voice that powerful sound. Moving the microphone to the side can help reduce plosives and sibilance. However, it is better to adjust speaking (or singing) technique to minimize sibilance. It's a bit like a singer learning to sing from the chest rather than from the nose.

There are quite a few programs, such as the ones you mentioned, that will remove noise. They work best with constant noise, like hiss or hum. Intermittent noise is harder to deal with. In the end, they are all band-aids that try to fix what was done wrong rather than providing a clean environment to start with.

Maybe you can post a portion of voice with both complete silence (so we can try to determine the source of the noise) and some typical speaking to we can hear the vocal issues. Something with 10-15secs of silence and 30 secs of speaking would be perfect.

OK - first thing. We need to hear it. The Shure SM7B is a fine mic, and yet it has a few weirdnesses. If you plug it into your interface, put your lips about an inch away, set the record level and press record - what does that sound like? Move them further away and you need some more gain, they're a very deaf mic, but close in, a preamp isn't needed. I use one frequently. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER, to open them up. There are a few possibilities.
1. It's faulty.
2. It's a really bad fake
3. Something is adrift with your preamp.

There's no need to use any software to process it. You can if you wish but they are plug 'n' play.
1. is unlikely, although could be a duff cable of course - do you have an alternative mic to try?
2. There are many fakes about. I also have one and have to make sure I never mix them up - the difference on this one is very small. However some people are reporting really horrible ones now appearing?
3. The preamp is working?

Have you a spare mic to compare performance.

We really need a recording of the mic direct to the preamp please.

OK - first thing. We need to hear it. The Shure SM7B is a fine mic, and yet it has a few weirdnesses. If you plug it into your interface, put your lips about an inch away, set the record level and press record - what does that sound like? Move them further away and you need some more gain, they're a very deaf mic, but close in, a preamp isn't needed. I use one frequently. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER, to open them up. There are a few possibilities.
1. It's faulty.
2. It's a really bad fake
3. Something is adrift with your preamp.

There's no need to use any software to process it. You can if you wish but they are plug 'n' play.
1. is unlikely, although could be a duff cable of course - do you have an alternative mic to try?
2. There are many fakes about. I also have one and have to make sure I never mix them up - the difference on this one is very small. However some people are reporting really horrible ones now appearing?
3. The preamp is working?

Have you a spare mic to compare performance.

We really need a recording of the mic direct to the preamp please.
A preamp isn't needed? On what planet?

Bahsettiğiniz bir şey: ÇATIŞMA DEDİĞİM ŞEY, GERÇEKTEN BİR ORTAM SESİDİR.

Eğer söyledikleriniz doğruysa, dünyanın en iyi mikrofonunu veya preamplifikatörünü satın alabilirsiniz ve bu sorunu çözmeyecektir. Temelde almanız gereken iki yol var. 1) ortam sesini kaldırın veya en aza indirin 2) Sesi kaldırmak için yazılım kullanın.

Sesi kaynağında temizlemek, daha iyi bir izolasyonla ve ortam "gürültüsüne" göre daha güçlü bir "sinyal" vermek için mikrofona yeterince yaklaşarak yapılabilir. Bir SM7B'ye yaklaşmak, yakınlık etkisinden dolayı sese bir miktar düşük ağırlık katacaktır. Sese o güçlü sesi vermekte fayda var. Mikrofonu yana doğru hareket ettirmek patlayıcıları ve ıslığı azaltmaya yardımcı olabilir. Bununla birlikte, sessizliği en aza indirmek için konuşma (veya şarkı söyleme) tekniğini ayarlamak daha iyidir. Şarkı söylemeyi burnundan değil göğsünden öğrenen bir şarkıcı gibi.

Bahsettiğiniz gibi gürültüyü ortadan kaldıracak birkaç program var. Tıslama veya uğultu gibi sürekli gürültü ile en iyi şekilde çalışırlar. Aralıklı gürültüyle baş etmek daha zordur. Neticede hepsi, başlangıçta temiz bir ortam sağlamak yerine, yapılan yanlışı düzeltmeye çalışan yara bantlarıdır.

Belki sesin bir kısmını hem tam sessizlikle (böylece gürültünün kaynağını belirlemeye çalışabiliriz) hem de vokal sorunlarını duyabileceğimiz bazı tipik konuşmalarla yayınlayabilirsiniz. 10-15 saniye sessizlik ve 30 saniye konuşma mükemmel olurdu.
  • What do you think of these voices?

A preamp isn't needed? On what planet?
On MY planet. I use a preamp because I use mine at around 2 ft away from me - it works fine lips on foam. Indeed, one of my preamps (A Tascam) is very deaf, and it produces perfectly useful recordings. Adding a could lifter or similar gives you a much lower working gain level of course - but no preamp is NOT terminal, if you use them like YouTubers do.

You 1st state a preamp isn't needed but now you say it is. The only mics that don't need preamps are line level units which as far as I know, aren't made anymore.

I'm talking about an in-line preamp. Cloudlifter style, as I said. I assumed you would know that about SM7Bs? It never occured to me you'd think I meant an SM7B went into a line level input? Do many interfaces not have mic capability? We were clearly on different tracks. He did ask if he needed a cloudlifter in his post. The OP has gone totally overboard in gadgetry without fixing the vital thing - the sound he is getting with the mic, straight into his M-Track Duo - He spent a bit on the mic, hardly anything on the preamp but then says he spent 12K? On what?

Until we hear the recording of the horrible sound, we can't help him.

I agree the OP needs to learn how to use what he already has. I'm fully aware that any interface with a mic input has a built-in mic preamp. Your statement, "a preamp isn't needed," is what I was responding to. Had I seen the term, "outboard," I would not have entered this discussion. And yes, there are interfaces without onboard mic pre's. I use one - 32 ADAT in/outs to USB so that outboard converters & a PC based DAW can talk to one another.

In the final sample, the background noise appears to be about 60dB below the voice, which agrees with what I get when I analyze the first sample. I was able to bump up the volume by about 60dB, with only one spike exceeding 0dB. It sounded like normal background hiss.

I don't know what settings you used for the voice samples. The final sample, #6 seemed to have more bass to the voice, probably due to proximity boost. Sample #5 sounds slightly more natural to me. Sample #4 was just unusually weak and would not be a good setting to use.

I created this file using those two samples. The volume was roughly equalized between the samples, then I split each section in parts and alternated the sections. The samples go 5 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 5 - 6. Noise level sounds similar to me, the difference is in the level of bass in the voice.

You would need to decided how you want your voice to sound. Do you want the deep "authoritarian" style, or the lighter, more natural style.

You could use some noise reduction if you do the full recording, and leave several seconds of absolute silence at the beginning with the microphone live. This section is then used as a baseline noise level in a noise reduction plugin. My DAW is called Reaper, and it includes a noise reduction plugin called ReaFIR. As long as the level of noise is consistent and fairly low, it does a good job of lowering the overall noise level without severely affecting the overall tone.

Attachments

• SpecialTricks Samples 5 and 6 alternate.mp3
    1,014.5 KB
In the final sample, the background noise appears to be about 60dB below the voice, which agrees with what I get when I analyze the first sample. I was able to bump up the volume by about 60dB, with only one spike exceeding 0dB. It sounded like normal background hiss.

I don't know what settings you used for the voice samples. The final sample, #6 seemed to have more bass to the voice, probably due to proximity boost. Sample #5 sounds slightly more natural to me. Sample #4 was just unusually weak and would not be a good setting to use.

I created this file using those two samples. The volume was roughly equalized between the samples, then I split each section in parts and alternated the sections. The samples go 5 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 5 - 6. Noise level sounds similar to me, the difference is in the level of bass in the voice.

You would need to decided how you want your voice to sound. Do you want the deep "authoritarian" style, or the lighter, more natural style.

You could use some noise reduction if you do the full recording, and leave several seconds of absolute silence at the beginning with the microphone live. This section is then used as a baseline noise level in a noise reduction plugin. My DAW is called Reaper, and it includes a noise reduction plugin called ReaFIR. As long as the level of noise is consistent and fairly low, it does a good job of lowering the overall noise level without severely affecting the overall tone.
deep "authoritarian" style

Two of the samples - the stereo ones, sound fine to me - The long mono one just sounds like a very softly spoken person. If you want to capture the very low key performance, then ironically the in-line preamp may well be the only thing you might want to think about? The cloudlifter works well, as does this modest price unit - the Imperative Audio FETPre - FP1. I have NOT used this for this rcording.

I've recorded the SM7B in the office here - first section is a recording from about 2" in a normal speaking voice, the second section is in a slightly more projected voice, with my lips almost on the foam. No in-line preamp, and the Tascam 1641 interface has the channel gain control at about 90% - This interface is not know for amazing performance or any special noise figures - just a 'normal' interface. Levels on the Cubase meters quite low. Both sections were then normalised, bringing up any noise. If you listen carefully, a radio in the office bursts into life while I was recording and it is captured in the clip.

Attachments

• sm7b.mp3
    4.2 MB
Back