What acoustic songs do the girls want to hear US play?

demensia said:

Dude.. what the hell are you trying to do to me? I'm definatly not playing that then.

Who does annies song?

The girls are in the 24-28 range.. Ive had good luck with the Bon Jovi tunes.. but only as a joke, I could never play them seriously.

well, I am sure you could avoid the wife part of it if that is what you want!! But those old Van tunes are so totally loaded with soul, and the chord progressions are nice and simple, you can just strum them simply or pick them as fancy as you like. But it is the lyrics....but how could I have forgotten to mention "Into the Mystic"?

Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" is another panty-dropper. Another one that converts well to acoustic and has both charm and tackiness is The Cars "Just What I Needed". Just play it in C-G-Am-F and you can actually build a great medley with that, U2's "With or Without You" and Bob Marley "No WOman No Cry". They all work with that chord progression.

Holy crap there are some bunk songs on these lists. well, good songs but not for the purpose of wooing a girl (under the age of 30) Sheesh, why not just play something from Simon and Garfunkel? I mean really.

You must play something by Dashboard Confessional (it pains me to say this but its true) and I second the John Mayer Body is a Wonderland someone said earlier. Dave Mathews is alright too but everybody plays it so its a little over done.

Save the classic rock for the ladies. Save the 80's rock for the bus stop.
Joni mitchell? Are those 100% organic panties? Come on man, hes not trying to bag a tree hugger.

Now Im not saying those songs are bad songs, I actually really like most of them, but girls are dumb, and if one of them is cool enough to apreciate a good song then, yay!, you found a keeper.

The man is just trying to bag a scummy.

Hey stick with the Bon Jovi as a joke thing though, thats good.

Modus said:
Joni mitchell? Are those 100% organic panties? Come on man, hes not trying to bag a tree hugger.

Cstockdale's Canadian. I think her name carries a little different connotation up there.

Plus, there was a whole generation of college girls who thought Joni was writing about THEIR lives. Definitely not all tree huggers. Though all 40 and 50 somethings now.

Daf

The point with the "Case of You" song, is it doesn't fucking matter if the girl has never heard of Joni Mitchell, or if she thinks that Joni is a treehugger or a bricklayer, if you can pull off that tune with conviction, it may as well have been written yesterday instead of in the 70's, the song is phenomenal. If you are even luckier, the girl you are trying to bag is sharper than a sack of hammers and might even think you wrote the song for her. I stand by the tune, and I have thrown that song into a set several times and it has always been commented on as a set highlight...and this is not for the patchouli oil crowd. Neither is it the over-40 crowd.... Joni was/is a great songwriter, and a tune like "a case of you" is a win-win tune: if the girl has heard it before, then she is already a Joni fan (it's not like Yellow Taxi which everyone has heard), and if she hasn't heard it before, she will be impressed with the tune just for its own sake. Shit, I throw in obscure covers all the time (10-20% of a set) just based on the strength of a tune. I don't claim to have written them, but nor do I advertise who did: if people know it, then they tend to be fans, and if they don't they just love hearing a good tune. I avoid "hit" songs like the plague for covers, because most people want to hear it like they always hear it and won't appreciate someone taking "artistic license" .

Well these worked to get me a wife...

Kansas' "Dust in the wind" (no problem with the philosophical lirics when you're singing to a mexican crowd... they think "Hotel California" is a romantic song)

Extreme's "More than words"

man, if alice in chains doesn't get you laid, you either don't mean it, or you're singing to the wrong demographic. i have great luck with aic covers, as far as impressing girls goes, but i do a lot of wailers. i have a shitty recording of "love, hate, love" at

edited because i have a terrible habit of mistyping.. everything.

cstockdale said:
The point with the "Case of You" song, is it doesn't fucking matter if the girl has never heard of Joni Mitchell, or if she thinks that Joni is a treehugger or a bricklayer, if you can pull off that tune with conviction, it may as well have been written yesterday instead of in the 70's, the song is phenomenal.

It IS a great song. Somebody unexpected just covered it, too - Diana Krall, maybe? Anyhow, heard a live take on CBC2 a couple weeks ago, it was stunning.

Here's one that's good if you're a single Dad and not trying to hide it: James Taylor's "Daddy's All Gone". AWB covered it, but it was after their 15 minutes was up. Never heard the original (dunno if JT ever recorded it). Girls oughta wet their pants over your sad life on the road, away from the kids you love...

I'd like to hear your set sometime. Do you ever play Sarnia? Windsor?

Daf

"my set" has become rather invisible of late. My history as a player is rather convoluted. I have not been playing any shows at all for more than two years: I used to be just an acoustic/solo performer playing coffee houses. Primarily a singer, but my guitar playing is finally coming up to snuff. I have been out of the loop, though, because I got tired of the "folk" label that every solo player gets...in my head I heard all these other parts. That is why I am on this board now...learning to record and play all those instruments in my head (bass, electric guitar, piano, organ, program drums etc), so taht I can take a band out and present my songs with the whole sound. I am in no hurry either, I have a career that I like and went to school for a long time for (gov't forestry researcher), and my wife and I are about to have a baby.... music is currently a serious hobby, and when I have a decent CD of 6-7 tunes, i will try gettting back into the live scene. And, I am a long way from Sarnia....out in Victoria.

I do a version of "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" that really gets the ladies at the rest home. If I'm feeling a litte randy I might even break into "Puttin on the Ritz".

cstockdale said:
And, I am a long way from Sarnia....out in Victoria.

I remember now - we were talking about the OP. Wife & I might go again (only stepmom's there now - Dad died 2 years ago), but she won't fly, and the train is a big time investment.

Good luck with the new baby. We're in grandbaby territory now. Hope the daughter moves out before she gives us any more...:rolleyes:

Daf

Back