'Warming up a mix'

Will25

I've got a few mixes to transfer to my mac and a lot of people have recommended using plug ins to warm up the mix i.e. tape simulation, saturation etc. My question is...do I do this before compressing the whole track? So do I apply the tape saturation then effectively master it..? Thanks

Why are you compressing every track?"warmth" will not be achieved by slapping on a plugin but I will play.Their are plugins like the studer a800 which is usually meant to be slapped on first on an individual instrument and then their are others which were made to be put on a master buss like a ampex atr.
just think how tape is used in the analog realm and then duplicate that in the digital realm. We record to tape , We can master to tape, think of the possibilities then experiment

I tend to use culture Vulture LE (as a saturation box) and 2 compressors in line,
1 before CV and one after
but it really depends on audio material and your goal,
sometimes I hardbypass both compressors and use only CV saturation,
sometimes just 1 compressor

all about audio is - use your ears, listen and compare
A/B comparing is utilized permanently,
whatever process you add - a/b it and decide,
simple as that

a hot water bottle or a couple of shots of whisky are great at warming up tracks :p

as a real answer, there is no right or wrong way. sometimes i use tape saturation and nothing else, sometime i use a bit valve saturation, sometimes i run stuff though a tape saturator into a gentle compressor and a coloured EQ. experiment with everything you've got an see what works :D

Back