USB problems....

I would suggest installing XP Service Pack 3 if you have not, XP without any service packs is pretty rickety.

However given your problems it might be a good idea to back it up before installing SP3

I would suggest installing XP Service Pack 3 if you have not, XP without any service packs is pretty rickety.

However given your problems it might be a good idea to back it up before installing SP3

SP3 has all the crap, as far I can tell. I stop at SP2, and if I need specific updates, you can always just download that update. As an example, even my Internet computer stops at SP2, but I like having my wireless work properly, so KB893357 and KB917021 is all I need. KB893357 wasn't even an update; it's a Hot Fix. KB917021 was in SP3, but you can just get that one update if that's what you need. The USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller drivers should be on SP1, so there is no need to mess with SP3. In fact, even SP2 can mess with your USB drivers;
When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update
Nice going, Bill.

SP3 has caused me no issues, I did originally stop at SP2 and was told don't put SP3 on, but I had a firewire issue where it would drop out, SP3 fixed the problem and I had no issues with anything.

Remember I am talking about installing up to SP3, I don't install any other windows updates at all as I don't need any security updates as it's not connected to the net. Basically I install windows XP (pro) from the original disc, I have another disc with SP2 on it that I install, then I install SP3 also from a disc. No other updates.

When I update a device driver I download it to another machine and put it on a stick and install from that. No software is installed direct from the net.

The main PC in the studio has had the software drive cloned on another drive that sits on the shelf, if there are any issues or drive problems I can install the clone and I am up and running again. All work is saved to at least 2 drives, 1 which is removable and goes home with me.

The trick is that the Studio computer should only be a studio computer, not doing internet, games, etc.

alan.

SP3 has all the crap, as far I can tell. I stop at SP2, and if I need specific updates, you can always just download that update. As an example, even my Internet computer stops at SP2, but I like having my wireless work properly, so KB893357 and KB917021 is all I need. KB893357 wasn't even an update; it's a Hot Fix. KB917021 was in SP3, but you can just get that one update if that's what you need. The USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller drivers should be on SP1, so there is no need to mess with SP3. In fact, even SP2 can mess with your USB drivers;
When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update
Nice going, Bill.

XP computers without SP3 installed can no longer download updates through Windows update or Microsoft update.

When I update a device driver I download it to another machine and put it on a stick and install from that. No software is installed direct from the net.

The main PC in the studio has had the software drive cloned on another drive that sits on the shelf, if there are any issues or drive problems I can install the clone and I am up and running again. All work is saved to at least 2 drives, 1 which is removable and goes home with me.

The trick is that the Studio computer should only be a studio computer, not doing internet, games, etc.

alan.

That sounds like a sold setup, what kind of clone drive is it? like a USB portable drive?
How do you "clone it"?

XP computers without SP3 installed can no longer download updates through Windows update or Microsoft update.

thats a good reason not to have SP3....

I have no other USB devices on the pc, no internet, no updating.....no problems.
Windows XP Pro (original disc SP2 2002) is working fine...
problem not seen again and probably 40+ hrs of studio time on it.

interesting some know what those upgrades actually are for..KB-x-x-x-x-x

I can agree with ranjam "blue comment" that the SP2 seems to work with the USB 2.0.
Because I didnt' have the knowledge to really go back one update at a time, its unknown which update took out my USB 2.0?

The 1641 is coming up perfect with USB 2.0 as it should.

That sounds like a sold setup, what kind of clone drive is it? like a USB portable drive?
How do you "clone it"?

The clone is a second SATA drive that I plug in as a slave and remove when cloned, you can leave it in the computer unplugged, but I have it put away in case someone steals the computer. I have Acronis software, but there is a load of free software on the net.

I can see any reason why it could not be a usb drive, but there may be some messing around to get it working if the operating system has gone. The SATA just plugs in and the computer boots up and it's all there, at the point you cloned of course.

I back up all the recording projects to a USB drive, and the recordings in the main computer are on a second drive, not the software drive. There can never be enough backups.

Alan.

Back