Upstairs Studio Build - Pics

What's the brown/red putty on the electrical boxes, and what is it for?
It's called a putty pack....it's a thin square of putty that goes around electrical/cable/ethernet boxes so no sound can go thru them and into the outside environment.

I figured it had something to do with acoustic isolation...what product did you use, and can you get it at most home improvement retailers? I'm a LONG ways from building my own space but it's nice to know these little details well in advance. Thanks!

Was wondering if someone could take a look and tell me what I might expect to run into insofar as room treatment. North-South it runs 14'5" and West-East it runs 14", ceiling is 8'3". When the flooring is added, it will be 1/2" foam, 23/32" OSB, 1/4" felt, 8mm laminate.

Looking North....this is where the desk will go, probably me facing left (West) with the monitors going right (East):
studio38.jpg

Looking South (and slightly East):
studio40.jpg

A better pic, still looking South:
studio32.jpg

This is what would be behind me, and where the monitors would be pointed:
studio33.jpg

This is just about where I would be sitting and facing:
studio34.jpg

Another view of the West wall:
studio37.jpg

A view of the East corner:
studio30.jpg

Another view of the East corner:
studio39.jpg

The West corner:
studio31.jpg

Will I need bass traps on the East wall (the knee-wall)? What about the West wall, even though the monitors will be pointed away from them?

I figure I would need a wall panel to the right of my sitting position for early reflection....since the wall on my left would be about 10' away (by the studio door), would I need anything for that?

I will be running software to be more accurate but it would be nice if someone could point out anything obvious before I get there......thanks alot!

I figure I would need a wall panel to the right of my sitting position for early reflection....since the wall on my left would be about 10' away (by the studio door), would I need anything for that?
:confused::eek: Holy moly Robyn. I thought we went through this a LOOOOOOOONG time ago.:facepalm: I was under the impression you were doing something along these lines.
is.php?i=692&img=ID1_East_Front_.jpg
is.php?i=597&img=Interior_Shell_.jpg

Hmmmm...perhaps I missed something from the getgo. Either that or my dumbo-meter is registering max.:D

Now I understand why you didn't match a kneewall on the opposite side. But why in the world are you setting up this other way????:confused: I doesn't have one shred of symmetrical boundary's...but...to each his own I guess.:confused: I just don't see the point. But good luck with that anyway.

Rick,

Yeah, I remember those drawings......but the rear wall (South wall) didn't happen because I would lose too much sq footage, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, city code dictates a minimum of 120 sq ft of at least a 5' ceiling.....so the South wall was not doable. Even if losing sq footage was not an issue, the entry going into the studio has a roof support beam for the hip roof that would have made an angled studio entry door all but impossible, at least at standard 80" height. Thus there is no symmetry to the south wall nor is there any symmetry West-East with kneewalls. Given that, what is the advantage of facing North, maybe to utilize the sonically longer part of the room?

I have attached a diagram with revisions......the grey is bass traps, red is reflectors (or should they be diffusors?)

Even this gives a non-symmetrical angle because the West wall goes all the way to the floor and the East wall has a knee-wall.

IF I HAD been able to do the angled studio entry door, wouldn't having a West wall non knee-walled ruin any symmetry?

Another issue with this room is that She Who Commands The Checkbook allocated funds with the idea that the room would be as close to a "regular" room as possible.......we are planning on retiring in another state in about 12 years (already bought the land) and this room needs to be able to be converted back to "non studio" easily. Such is life.

Attachments

• northfacingstudiolayout.jpg
    northfacingstudiolayout.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
what??:confused::confused:

Given that, what is the advantage of facing North, maybe to utilize the sonically longer part of the room?
Well, that was the intent had you been able to build the rear wall as I showed. And to a certain extent, I think it would still give you a "better" front symmetry regardless of the rear...which you could do traps as you show. I just think that having the West roof as your front and the East roof as your rear leaves a lot to be desired..especially when your right sidewall is 10 ft away, and the north wall is adjacent to your mixing position. But that's only my opinion for what it's worth.

Another issue with this room is that She Who Commands The Checkbook allocated funds with the idea that the room would be as close to a "regular" room as possible....
Like they say..three things in life are absolute..taxes, death and She Who Commands the Checkbook. :p :eatpopcorn: Gotta please the significant other or nothing happens..so by all means...carry on. ;)

The only reason I mentioned the mixing position like I did was that I was thinking the forward and rear walls were at least consistent, going east-west......whereas facing north and bouncing off the south wall would have to take into account the 90 degree that juts out at the doorway area......that's all....of course, that same 90 degree is going to come into play no matter where I mix.

I can't help but get the feeling that you are in some way disappointed with the way the studio is laying out.......sorry if that's the case.

Ordered 2 8-packs of 48"X24"X3" Roxul Safe 'N Sound today.....should get me started with materials for bass traps, etc.

BTW, when are you gonna get off your ass and build YOUR studio??? :D You know, if you did it later this summer or early fall (gotta accrue more days off from work first), I could fly over and spend a week helping you get it off the ground.......something to think about.....

I can't help but get the feeling that you are in some way disappointed with the way the studio is laying out.......sorry if that's the case.
Me? Disappointed? Robn, with all due respect, I'm not the one who has to work up there. So why would I be disappointed. If anything, I respect the difficulty's you've overcome to even get where you are. Sure, had it been me, I might have done some things a little different..but I'm not there, I didn't have to make certain choices, it isn't my studio, and I didn't have to answer to She Who Commands The Checkbook.:D

Robn, I only try to point people in the right direction and give some of my limited, non expert opinions, and I've been here long enough to know that people are people, with their own problems, limitations, budget/time/skill constraints and plane ole "I wanna do it my way" propensities. :p

Hell, I go through enough of my own disappointments to burden myself with other peoples choice hindsight's. And yea, I may exhibit a few last minute .."hey wait...you might wanna think about this.." type inferences. But I had a lot of time invested in trying to help you and it behooves me to keep prodding you. However, when push comes to shove, what will be will be.
And I'm too damn old to waste time on what could've been. No matter what, I've always said..the whole point of doing something like this is to have fun. So buddy...get to it.:D.

BTW, when are you gonna get off your ass and build YOUR studio???
What make's you think I haven't? Just now finishing up the re-design of the ENTIRE acoustical scheme..which is based on an entirely new concept called MyRoom(you know..like LEDE, RFZ, Front to Back..etc) I've actually been planning on posting a thread in that respect. Just gotta do a little more research and finish up the Sketchup construction docs. Speaking of which..here is a few of what I'm talking about. Mind you, these arn't finished yet, but they'll give you a general idea.
View attachment 71152
New Stingray Boundaries 2c Rear.jpg

As to actual work, since I have very little financial resourses to invest in my project anymore, I have to do things the hard way..which means DIY. Just finishing up my second computer build, and the headphone amps for the console. Made them from a couple of Creative powered computer speaker amps..got two set's at a yard sale for $4:D That gave me two amps. One for each end of the console. These now have selector switches to switch from powering the computer speakers on the bridge, or driving headphones for one or more people sitting at the console. Of course, I have two sets of 4 in, 1 out stereo line level swiching arrays that feed these amps too. So I can select which source I want to drive them from. Got each switch box for $1:D Just have to get a Slimline CD writer now. Then I can finish THAT project up. :rolleyes: Here's where they go.
is.php?i=1705&img=431923_Wrist_Pad_Mo.jpg

And btw, since my setup is an Analog/digital hybrid, with 32 channels analog, there is so much wiring, I had to do a schematic in 3d just to see where everything goes:eek: Gak! Even this took a few weeks to sort out. I tried to do a simple 2d diagram, but it got very confusing. This is an old Sketchup and doesn't show 1/8 of all the wires.
is.php?i=1753&img=Studio_Wiring_D.jpg
M3700 Master Section.jpg
Well, that about sums it up for the moment. As you well know Robn, a DIY studio builders work is never done.:facepalm::D

Attachments

• New Stingray Boundaries 2c.jpg
    New Stingray Boundaries 2c.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
:wtf::mad::mad::mad: I HATE the Attachment Manager!!:cursing: STILL can't move a picture once it's uploaded. It put the second Sketchup of the room at the bottom. :facepalm:

But I had a lot of time invested in trying to help you and it behooves me to keep prodding you.

This is kind of what I was talking about when I mentioned "disappointed". I know you spent alot of time/effort here.......

Nice work in Sketchup, you are truly the king there......I asked when you were going to start building your studio because I haven't noticed any actual construction pics from you, and I think you would have posted some if you had actually started the physical work. And after you get to a point in planning, get all your Sketchup work done, and are ready to actually drive a few nails, turn a few screws, etc., my offer still stands. I would be glad to spend a week getting you started. I'm not the worlds best DIY'er but I'm working on it........a helluva lot better now than I used to be......

Well, that about sums it up for the moment. As you well know Robn, a DIY studio builders work is never done.:facepalm::D

Amen!

Wow, that looks like my house, and I have a studio above the garage in the bonus room too.

I created some deep bass traps using fluffy insulation behind those knee walls. Quite effective.

Can you post a link to your other thread about this? (couldn't find it)

gehauser,

Could you post some pics of your studio? Would like to take a look at them, thanks.

Your bass traps are BEHIND the knee walls? I thought bass traps were inside the room, not behind it.....I may be misunderstanding you though.....

Here is the link to my first attempt at this studio....it was about 3 years ago but I stopped due to other life conditions and also lack of funds (I hate it when that happens).......Rick (chronicle) was a big help in that other thread so that's why he and I are still mentioning it.....

Here it is:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-display/studio-build-unfinished-bonus-room-above-garage-286258/

I asked when you were going to start building your studio because I haven't noticed any actual construction pics from you

Hi Robn. Well, as to actually pounding nails/screws..the answer is..on the studio, no....except for the console. That's because most of my time is spent on the house, ebay projects and life's daily battles and little detours.:rolleyes:. Not to mention getting old.:laughings:

Which brings up something else. The economy. It's really taken a toll on us. To the point that I "may" have to put my home on the market this summer(as if there IS a market:rolleyes:) Which doesn't make me very ambitious to build anything for the room or change it in any fashion now. Besides, you aren't the only one who has to answer to "the one who controls the checkbook":p To her, I should be spending every waking hour on ebay stuff or prepping the house for sale:rolleyes:...which looks more and more like a certainty every day. So, don't set aside any time for my sake Robn. I may not be here by then.

And btw, I did the Sketchups a few months ago, at a time when life's pressures weren't that bad. We had my wife's Dad living with us, and his income helped enormously. Unfortunately...he died a few months ago. Living on the edge now, and it's getting really tough. That's why we HAVE to make some serious life changing decisions now. And please Robn, I didn't post this to tell the world my problems. You asked, so I felt an explanation was in order. And you aren't the first person to ask either.

To sum it all up. There ain't any progress, and probably won't be. Such is life. But that doesn't mean I can't try and help here...or dream. After all, that's all it's ever been.

Your bass traps are BEHIND the knee walls? I thought bass traps were inside the room, not behind it.....I may be misunderstanding you though.....
ummm, I may be wrong, but I believe I tried to suggest that to you at one time. I can't look at the Sketchups now, cause that particular hard drive is in a the computer on the workbench. But I thought I suggested using the area BEHIND the kneewall FRAMING as a perfect place for basstraps. You'd cover the framing with fabric. Maybe I didn't get that far...who knows. But yea...in fact, you could STILL do it. Remember, superchunks work at ANY corner. And those corners are perfect. Deep and long. You could still frame up the west side kneewall and fill it too. Of course, you'd have to remove the drywall on the East side and drywall the roof. hmmmm, did I mention.."a studio builders work is never done"?

Hmmm.....I don't remember you suggesting that bass traps being built in......if you suggested it, I forgot about it......anyway.......I have a question about my west wall (the one with no knee walls)....do I need wedge bass traps that run the whole length of this wall? I always read that bass traps go in "corners"......but that is usually considering a standard perpendicular setup....since my west wall slopes to the floor, is my west wall needing to be treated with traps? Or did you answer that in your previous post?

Last edited:
I got your PM, but Rick is already helping you much more than I'd have time for. :drunk:

As for treatment, all the usual stuff applies: Bass traps in as many corners as possible, including wall-ceiling and wall-floor corners where practical, absorption at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points, and optionally diffusion on the rear wall behind you.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan

What would be a good distance from the wall-meets-floor point? And would it matter if they were slanted or were perpendicular to the floor or perpendicular to the wall slope?

basstraps1.jpg

basstraps2.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pics........have mudded with 6" and 12" blade, did a final sanding. Taped outlets and around door. Getting ready to texture walls on Saturday. Will let it dry a copy of days, then onto painting......will be a shade of blue/grey. Laminate will be Swiftlock Corbett Oak.

This is the entryway into the studio....the studio door is on the left, the door on the right goes into the attic.....this area is a MAJOR pain to sheetrock/mud/sand:
studio41.jpg

Inside the studio looking out the doorway and into the attic door (that is not a gash in the sheetrock, it is sheetrock paper that has been torn off):
studio42.jpg

Northwest corner:
studio43.jpg

Looking south:
studio44.jpg

Another looking south:
studio45.jpg

Northeast corner:
studio46.jpg

North wall....this is probably where I will be facing:
studio47.jpg

What would be a good distance from the wall-meets-floor point? And would it matter if they were slanted or were perpendicular to the floor or perpendicular to the wall slope?

The angle in the upper drawing is probably better, but even more important is the total size of the panel. So just make it as large as possible, at whatever angle you can to keep it large.

--Ethan

Back