Upstairs Studio Build - Pics

I have ordered 2 8-packs of Roxul Safe 'N Sound......24"X48"X3".......was thinking of putting 2 together and running them length-wise down that side of the room...that would be 8 panels total for that wall.

Safe and sound really works.
Recently built some for a friends coffee shop that needed some absorption when bands play there and they work great!
Good luck I'm enjoying watching the progress on this build.
What type of desk are you using?

More pics:

This is the entryway....studio door is on the left, attic door on the right:

studio48.jpg

North wall, this is where I will be facing:

studio49.jpg

Caulked the seams in the subfloor:

studio50.jpg

Caulked seams and edges:

studio51.jpg

Paint is a little darker than this is showing:

studio52.jpg

studio53.jpg

Laying down the carpet foam......will put 23/32" OSB on top of this (tomorrow), then moisture barrier, then laminate:
studio54.jpg

studio55.jpg

Tomorrow the electric gets finished and track lights are installed. Probably do some trim work in the entryway. Sunday the laminate goes on and then the rest of the trim......getting close!!!!!

A few more pics from today:

Electric has been ran, lights have been installed. Putting down 23/32" OSB on top of the foam in preparation for laminate:

studio56.jpg

studio57.jpg

studio58.jpg

Track lights:
studio59.jpg

studio60.jpg

Well, I finally finished building the studio......next is to build the desk, test the room, then treat the room. Here are some before and after pics:

studio_before1.jpg

studio_final1.jpg

studio_before2.jpg

studio_final2.jpg

studio_before3.jpg

studio_final3.jpg

studio_before4.jpg

studio_final4.jpg

studio_before5.jpg

studio_final5.jpg

studio_before6.jpg

studio_final6.jpg

studio_before7.jpg

studio_final7.jpg

studio_before8.jpg

studio_final8.jpg

studio_before9.jpg

studio_final9.jpg

studio_before10.jpg

studio_final10.jpg

studio_final11.jpg

Finished building my studio desk, computer will go in left side, CME UF7 synth will go on the pullout drawer:

mydesk1.jpg

mydesk2.jpg

mydesk3.jpg

mydesk4.jpg

Very nice! I had never thought about turning my very similar attic space into a studio.... until now. ;)

You need to do it!!! Make good use of that space!!! Plus it will add value to your home. It cost around $2000 in materials for me to completely finish out my room, not much considering it adds much more than that to the home value.....not to mention the enjoyment it is already bringing me!!!!

I've got most of my instruments and monitoring set up in the studio....when I get it all moved in there I will take some final pictures....should be later in the week. After that comes the room testing and then sound treatment.

You need to do it!!! Make good use of that space!!! Plus it will add value to your home. It cost around $2000 in materials for me to completely finish out my room, not much considering it adds much more than that to the home value.....not to mention the enjoyment it is already bringing me!!!!

I've got most of my instruments and monitoring set up in the studio....when I get it all moved in there I will take some final pictures....should be later in the week. After that comes the room testing and then sound treatment.

I think we'd all love to see the pics. I'll be doing some wiring of new light fixtures in the attic this weekend and plan to take some measurements, etc. One problem is that it's HOT here and that will have to be dealt with. I'll have to check to see if my ductwork is accessible at all from the attic since we have registers that are close to the floors rather than the ceilings. We've been considering an insulation treatment that is affixed to the inside of the roof, so the answer may be to do that first, then build out the attic studio. Another issue is access. Currently, we climb a stepladder through a simple hole in the ceiling. I'd have to install a ladder of some type. All this will NOT be popular with the wife. :facepalm:

I need to work up some strategy.... improving the value of the home is good, she got a new kitchen and master bed/bath using that reasoning. I'd also need a big window like yours. That's excellent.

I understand about the heat....it was 107.2 here yesterday (Texas).....been to Birmingham a couple of times and I know it gets hot there too, plus you guys have the humidity to add to it.

I ran my ductwork down the center of the room when the two slopes meet....sounds like you have a different issue though. I did some preliminary isolation testing yesterday.....pumped it up to 88 decibels and then checked outside and inside. You could hear it outside but just barely. The upstairs room that is adjacent to the studio was pretty quiet too......but as I thought, the loudest was underneath the studio in the garage......very hard to isolate sound there.

If you did go ahead and build in the attic, do you have enough space thru the hole in the ceiling to carry anything up there? Got any pics?

That's good info, Robn. I'll get some pics and start a thread on the build when I get further along rather than hijack yours. With regard to access, I'd have to install some drop-down stairs. There's no room for anything else, but that should be very doable. Thanks for a very inspiring thread.

As promised, here are a few pics of the studio with most all the gear in the room......

Outer door of studio:
StudioFinal1.jpg

Messy desk:
StudioFinal2.jpg

Right side monitors. Inner monitor is old Event PS5, outer monitor is new M-Audio BX5:
StudioFinal3.jpg

Ancient Alesis MIDIVerb II, dbxMultiEffects, Echo AudioFire8 interface:
StudioFinal4.jpg

Sonar X1 demo project:
StudioFinal5.jpg

Allen and Heath ZED14:
StudioFinal6.jpg

Good view of the desk. Keyboard is old CME UF7 76 keys:
StudioFinal7.jpg

Sony home stereo right speaker to check the mix on regular home stereo system:
StudioFinal8.jpg

Alesis DM6 electronic drums:
StudioFinal9.jpg

Computer and left home stereo speaker:
StudioFinal10.jpg

Mic with pop filter:
StudioFinal11.jpg

Fender Mustang III amp with Audio Technica ATM50 mixing headphones laying on top:
StudioFinal12.jpg

EV RE20 mic:
StudioFinal13.jpg

Drums and view of inner studio door:
StudioFinal14.jpg

Another view of the desk:
StudioFinal15.jpg

A view of "the boys":
StudioFinal16.jpg

Takamine EG544SC-4C, solid cedar top, koa sides and back:
StudioFinal17.jpg

Butterscotch Fender Tele. This is one of the FSR (Fender Special Run) guitars, really fast neck:
StudioFinal18.jpg

Ibanez AS103 Artcore Custom semi hollow body with Vintage Brown burst. Just got this today:
StudioFinal19.jpg

This is my main guitar. I bought this brand new in 1987. It's an '87 American Standard Strat, gun metal blue. The neck and middle pickups are Chris Kinman Avn-62's and are dead quiet. The bridge pickup is a DiMarzio Injector:
StudioFinal20.jpg

Epiphone Ultra II Les Paul Korean '07 with quilted sunburst. Replaced gold speed knobs with Gibson top hats with gold inserts:
StudioFinal21.jpg

Another view of the room:
StudioFinal22.jpg

Yet another:
StudioFinal23.jpg

Standing in the studio inner doorway:
StudioFinal24.jpg

Stairs going up to studio. Outer studio door is just out of sight on the right:
StudioFinal25.jpg

Back