Mics for a nano studio

How can you use it as a corridor? I couldn't suck my gut in far enough to not knock over every cymbal stand. o_O
You got it Rich. It ain't easy. It is in my single garage, and I have to pass through to read my energy meters, and to retrieve objects stored byyond.
I routinely knock the 14" crash cymbal over, and it is an art to inter-mingle the legs of the cymbal stands and mic stands.
Getting large objects into or out of my back garden, means shoving the whole kit over, and rebuilding it afterwards.
There's nowhere else I coud have put it.

Right! That does seem similar to what I built. I probably spent about $4k on it which compares to the cost of a ready made device. I don’t have any windows and my door is a self engineered thing that is about the same construction as the room when closed. I haven’t tested it yet because I’m still building the door, but it should be STM>58.
I’ll have to retract that price comparison. The Esmono is waaayy more money than my home brew and does not appear to have as good STM. Nice device though for someone who needs that.

The Esmono is waaayy more money than my home brew and does not appear to have as good STM. Nice device though for someone who needs that.
While it's not cheap at first glance, it's a worthwhile investment. I'd love to have one. The funny thing is that I can actually afford one now, but there's nowhere I could put it !

Really popular here in schools and colleges - really posh ones too. When you go in one, the treatment is really workable. You don't feel too enclosed, and acoustically they sound like a bigger space. You can also get reverb multimic packages that dot a few mics around and small speakers in the walls - you can dial in an acoustic and it really works. The music colleges use them as practice rooms - bung a cello in one and it sounds really nice. You can put rows of them together, and they have a neat rear in/out forced air vent system - and best of all, you can remove all the screws that link the panels, lift the roof off and move it somewhere else. They're heavy and awkward but I moved three in a day once. You can build better insulation yourself, but these are so much simpler - but of course expensive.

Really popular here in schools and colleges - really posh ones too. When you go in one, the treatment is really workable. You don't feel too enclosed, and acoustically they sound like a bigger space. You can also get reverb multimic packages that dot a few mics around and small speakers in the walls - you can dial in an acoustic and it really works. The music colleges use them as practice rooms - bung a cello in one and it sounds really nice. You can put rows of them together, and they have a neat rear in/out forced air vent system - and best of all, you can remove all the screws that link the panels, lift the roof off and move it somewhere else. They're heavy and awkward but I moved three in a day once. You can build better insulation yourself, but these are so much simpler - but of course expensive.
I figure this device in my room size would cost about $20k. I built my room for about $4k. It’s a neat system but just out of my price range.

I plan to record drums in this space. My question is, in this unusually small space, what mic pattern would work best?
That small a space it probably doesn't matter - but I would recording everything with Hyper-Cardiod Microphones up close to the drums - and then add artificial reverb to give it space - you could also try expieriementing with a Glynn Johns 3 Microphone setup and see if your room works for this.

2-2.jpg

That small a space it probably doesn't matter - but I would recording everything with Hyper-Cardiod Microphones up close to the drums - and then add artificial reverb to give it space - you could also try expieriementing with a Glynn Johns 3 Microphone setup and see if your room works for this.

2-2.jpg
Good tip on the mics. A tight dynamic cardioid was what I was thinking.

I’m looking forward to finishing this thing so I can experiment with all these different placements.

Thanks!

Back